1 horn sheep?

Gr8bawana

With all these threads about the near impossibility of drawing a sheep tag I'm wondering how many of you guys would hunt for a broken horn ram?
When going through the NV hunts for this year I saw there is a new resident only hunt for rams where one horn must be less than half the length of the longest horn.
It's in 19 hunt units but the quota is unknown at this time.
It's a once in a lifetime hunt, has no bonus points awarded if unsuccessful and has no waiting period if drawn. It has no impact on any other sheep tag you may have points for.
Personally it doesn't interest me just like the ewe hunt.
What are your thoughts?

I'd definitely do it if I was eligible as a resident. But I think it would be awesome to experience another sheep hunt, since I'll be lucky to draw one or two in my life

I saw that too. Seems like an attempt at pulling in more application money from NDOW.

I saw that too. Seems like an attempt at pulling in more application money from NDOW.
No, it's actually an opportunity hunt. Very few people with a regular ram tag will pull the trigger on a one horned ram. In some areas there are quite a few one horned rams, usually from sinusitis. This is a chance to let a hunter harvest them rather than having them die without anyone getting to enjoy them. I've seen quite a few of them and I will be applying.

Does a population care if a ram has one or two horns? Shouldn’t harvest be determined by the number of rams a population can have removed, regardless of their horn length?

Seems like if the pop can sustain the removal of xx number of broken rams, xx number of additional unbroken rams could be harvested instead 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would love to apply and win , 90% of desert bighorn hunters are after the slam ,
I see desert bighorn a lot @ work and hunting, but my chances of winning a permit are about .000001% , sounds like a fun trip
and maybe they can cure the nose bots that spread the infection

No, it's actually an opportunity hunt. Very few people with a regular ram tag will pull the trigger on a one horned ram. In some areas there are quite a few one horned rams, usually from sinusitis. This is a chance to let a hunter harvest them rather than having them die without anyone getting to enjoy them. I've seen quite a few of them and I will be applying.
That makes sense.

This is a chance to let a hunter harvest them rather than having them die without anyone getting to enjoy them.
Sort of agree with this, but there is nothing wrong with animals dying of old age. Granted those broken horn rams probably won't be shot by a hunter given the opportunity, but them being killed by a hunter is not the be-all end-all of a sheep's life. They still breed, they are still statistics in predator's kills, they are just as useful as a "trophy" ram.

I agree with Madtom, if the herd can afford to kill off these "inferior" rams they can shoot more of the others.

Does a population care if a ram has one or two horns? Shouldn’t harvest be determined by the number of rams a population can have removed, regardless of their horn length?

Seems like if the pop can sustain the removal of xx number of broken rams, xx number of additional unbroken rams could be harvested instead 🤷🏻‍♂️
Possibly.

Except if the population is at carrying capacity then removal of a broken horn ram would allow for another, presumably not broken, ram to take it's place.

It seems to me that a one-horned ram isn't going to be knocking heads with a two-horned ram, so are they actually competitive for breeding opportunities?

QQ

Edit to add: I guess it depends how broken he is.

Not NV resident so it doesn't really matter, but yes I'd apply for the hunt. The likelihood that I'm ever drawing a 'trophy' sheep tag before 'my time' to hunt them is gone is very low. However, I don't see them as 'cull' animals and so the population has to be able to support the hunt.

When my wife had a tag this was the biggest ram in the herd. After giving it a lot of thought, she decided that he would be number 1 on the hit list. We figured that we would have our taxidermist cast a horn and fix the broken side. She ended up killing a slightly smaller ram, so we didn't have to worry about it.

Attachments

• Chunk.jpg
    Chunk.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 78
I’d honestly probably shoot a broken horn Ram with a regular ram tag if it was really solid on its unbroken side and had around half of its other side and was a big old mature ram.

One horned rams, won’t fight to breed and often become loners so they take the resources from the other sheep while not giving back. This is a great opportunity I wish I could be apart of.

Brendan burns achieved his first grand slam because of a single horn no one wanted to shoot so he was able to pay 10k to shoot it, if given the opportunity I would pay 10k to shoot a single horn as well.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back