1 and 2 man tents

Flatrock

So I need to get some sort of a tent to deer hunt in November in MT this year. I will mostly be going by myself or maybe with 1 other guy. What would you guys recommend for a tent with a stove for 2 guys? Looks like Kifaru has some good tipis but are pricey. I'm not opposed to spending that much if it's worth it but would like to get some input. Thanks.

Take a look at Seek Outside. The Cimeron looks promising for a 2 man with a stove. I opted for thier 4 man tipi as I wanted the ability to stand up in. Quality of craftsmanship is spot on and Kevin was very helpful the several times I called with questions.

November can be still warm or miserable cold. Be prepared for both.

That's not quite what I meant.

For hunts in the future, I am going to need a tent with a stove and am looking for some recommendations. If you have any advice, let me know.

Take a look at Seek Outside. The Cimeron looks promising for a 2 man with a stove. I opted for thier 4 man tipi as I wanted the ability to stand up in. Quality of craftsmanship is spot on and Kevin was very helpful the several times I called with questions.

Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

I have the Seek Outside BackCountry Shelter and really like it. The 4 man has a touch more room but the BCS is lighter.

I also use the Lite Outdoors Titanium Stove. It is a great little stove that weighs like 2-2.5lbs

Attachments

• 11143407_10155567410750553_3175052495779965543_n.jpg
    11143407_10155567410750553_3175052495779965543_n.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 491
A couple pics of my 4 man tipi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 548
Can't seem to post multiple pics. Sorry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 483
Most tent size ratings are sort of like window sticker mpg for cars...believe it when you experience it. I spent a few days in Alaska in a 2-man tent and sleeping feet at other guy's head still resulted in bumping each other several times a night. If I go back, taking my own tent or making sure is rated for one more person than actually using the tent.

For any fall hunt where there is a chance of cold temps and precipitation I'm bringing a tipi and stove all day long. The ability to retire to a shelter, crank up the fire, warm up and dry out is immeasurable and well worth the price and weight penalty over an ultra light 1/2 man.

1375967_10201040763676001_499198424_n.jpg

I'm with JR on this one, tipi style tents with a stove are a great way to go. I hear GoLite went out of business but you can likely pick up their Shangri-La tipis used through classifieds on various forums. I know several guys who had fabric companies sew a stove jack into their Shangri-La for their Alaskan adventures. You can probably find their forum threads on this on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. The weight : space ratio on these style tents is what makes them so appealing to me. Lightweight for backpacking hunts, yet tons of room.

Here's the Shangri-La 5 on a sheep hunt last year. A week of this weather and not a single drop of water inside. A stove would have been nice.

I've been thinking of going to the tipi the last couple years. Is there one that you can use a trekking pole for the riser to save more weight in your pack?

That Lite Outdoors stove looks just like the Titanium Goat cylinder Stove (tigoat).

I've been thinking of going to the tipi the last couple years. Is there one that you can use a trekking pole for the riser to save more weight in your pack?

I've only seen a couple tipi style tents in use, but all the ones I've looked at you could use a trekking pole as part of the riser. You'd still need a short post as the trekking poles don't extend long enough to cover the total height of the tent. I know on my tent there's a lot of downward pressure on the center pole by the time everything is staked and guyed out. So you'd want to use a trekking pole with locking tabs that are solid.

I believe someone makes a connector that allows you to use 2 trekking poles as a center pole for a tipi. However, if I'm on a trip that requires a tipi, I think I would have the tent set up longer than overnight, and therefore would want to use the trekking poles during the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back