Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

1 and 2 man tents

I believe someone makes a connector that allows you to use 2 trekking poles as a center pole for a tipi. However, if I'm on a trip that requires a tipi, I think I would have the tent set up longer than overnight, and therefore would want to use the trekking poles during the day.
That last sentence has always been my hangup in using trekking poles. Carbon fiber poles for the tent wouldn't break one's back I don't think.

My BackCountry Shelter uses a Carbon Fiber pole and total weight is about 3.5lbs. The SeekOutside 4 man is about 4.25lbs. When I ordered my BCS it was just before the Cimmaron came out. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the Cimmaron and have a stove jack installed.

When the ground is dry, I use a smaller tent footprint. Like JR said Tyvek or a 2-3 man footprint is preferred.

I have a kifaru 4 man tipi and the small kifaru stove. Kifaru is expensive but my gf and I both slept on cots and had enough room for all our gear and the stove on our spring bear hunt and she was very comfortable. The aluminum poles weigh at most 2 lbs but I think they are closer to 1 lbs. The whole set up weighs less than 6 lbs including all components. It was well worth the investment. Actually wish I had a bigger one so you could get 3 cots in it.

IMG_6232.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys. So on these tents, how durable is the material that is used for the tent walls? It kind of looks flimsy but I have to assume that it is fairly durable.

I should also add that I don't really plan on backpacking with this very much, if at all, so weight isn't a huge consideration for me.

The fabric on the SeekOutside is a 30D Ripstop Nylon (they may have upgraded this material lately) with corners and anchor points reinforced Cordura. Tear resistance probably isn't the greatest but tensile strength is good...I don't have experience with snowload but it sounds like it is excellent. I know people have burnt holes in their tents using pitchy wood so I would suggest a spark arrestor but that can happen with untreated canvas.

If weight isn't an issue then the Cabelas Outback or Alaknak might be options.

There are also many canvas tent companies that can make tipi, lodge, cabin tents that fit your needs noting that a canvas tent with frame can be in excess of 100lbs.

My advice is buy the best you can buy. Pay once cry once. The first time you go home or freeze your tail off in November you will understand. There are many good companies. I like Montana Canvas. Peace!

EDIT- Oh, the Wedge Tent. A motel is an option too and probably less expensive. You don't get the camp experience though

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back