Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

04-08 F-150 cam phaser issue.

rmauch20

My way back from my 3rd season elk trip I could hear a ticking sound on start up and when accelerating. Took it into the shop hoping it was just another exhaust manifold leak but I got the dreaded news it’s the cam phaser noise associated with the 5.4 3 value motors. My mechanic said he’s going to try to clean out the cam phaser solenoid. He stated he had good luck doing this and recommended running a better oil filter and oil through it from here on out.
any other 5.4 3 valve owners run to this problem? I really don’t want to get another vehicle and have a payment.

I had it about every 10k miles in my 04. Couldnt stand it and got rid of it due to a slew of other issues as well. My buddy had it in his 04 as well and he just let it hammer for over 100K and it was never an issue for him other than the annoying sound.

I do believe there is a kit that replaces the cam phaser (removes variable valve timing) that is the actual cure for the problem though.

I have an 08 and it ticks all day. Look it up it’s really not a big deal performance wise. It’s like a $400+ job if I recall. I actually bought mine private party and the guy didn’t know about it. Told him it sounds like a bent rod and he ain’t gonna sell a truck with a rod knock anytime soon. Gave me 2 grand off his listed price lol. Damn gas truck sounds like a crappy diesel while idling. I’m gonna let it run till the tranny blows.

I’ve heard/had more problems with spark plugs breaking off in the engine. Or coolant leaks on the engine causing spark plugs to corrode early.

My way back from my 3rd season elk trip I could hear a ticking sound on start up and when accelerating. Took it into the shop hoping it was just another exhaust manifold leak but I got the dreaded news it’s the cam phaser noise associated with the 5.4 3 value motors. My mechanic said he’s going to try to clean out the cam phaser solenoid. He stated he had good luck doing this and recommended running a better oil filter and oil through it from here on out.
any other 5.4 3 valve owners run to this problem? I really don’t want to get another vehicle and have a payment.

Well, it is a Ford... Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

I got a friend that would just say, "get a louder stereo". (y)

I had it on my 04 with about 180k miles. spent 4 grand trying to fix and and eventually had enough and got a new truck. Now I will admit trying to figure out the problems myself for months and then finally taking it to a shop. Now my friend just had this issue with his 05 and took it right in and the mechanic did something and he hasnt had any problems since then so maybe getting it taken care of right away is key. I loved the truck and would have just got a new motor if that was suggested first but after the other money I had enough

Well it sounds like I am SOL. It’s the cam phaser, he is recommending replacing it on both sides of the motor. Sounds like it’s going to be quite the job. Have to decide if I want to have them fix it or put it back together and see what I can get on a trade-in.

I’ve ran mobile 1, red line, royal purple etc in all my 4.6/5.4 and despite owning multiple mustangs with 4.6 and f150’s with 5.4 have never once had a cam phaser issue...

I’ve ran mobile 1, red line, royal purple etc in all my 4.6/5.4 and despite owning multiple mustangs with 4.6 and f150’s with 5.4 have never once had a cam phaser issue...
I've run Motorcraft oil only in all of my F150s and ever had any issues. I did have the rear end rebuilt on two of my trucks for noise and now have over 264,000 on my 2010. Couple minor things quit, but not affecting how it drives at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

After the last couple days of talking to dealers about trade and I’ve come to conclusion that what I own is total junk and everything they have is diamond coated gold.
Second thought of the is I don’t understand how some people afford these new pick ups. I make pretty good money but it still just doesn’t make sense to me.
Third and final thing. I wish someone would just make a basic Quality truck. V8, four-wheel-drive, and your basic power features.I told the salesman I really don’t want the 10 inch LCD screen and would prefer just a basic radio and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.

After the last couple days of talking to dealers about trade and I’ve come to conclusion that what I own is total junk and everything they have is diamond coated gold.
Second thought of the is I don’t understand how some people afford these new pick ups. I make pretty good money but it still just doesn’t make sense to me.
Third and final thing. I wish someone would just make a basic Quality truck. V8, four-wheel-drive, and your basic power features.I told the salesman I really don’t want the 10 inch LCD screen and would prefer just a basic radio and he looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.

You got to have the LCD screen and plastic so they can charge you 60K... Basic trucks don't exist much anymore unless you go through fleet. Sometimes they can combine orders, but you have to wait for it. I never done it, but that is what I have been told.

My 06 has been knocking for 75k miles and sounds like hell while idling but still runs just fine. Did have to change plugs & coil packs at 100k (7/8 spark plugs broke in head while changing) .... just gonna run it till it dies

Got 180K on My o8 F 150 ,Never heard nothin. Run synthetic in it for bout 3 years now. Lottsa power too. Think some guys just get a bad one here and there. Guess I'm lucky. Just went Phoenix to Colorado hunting and great gas mileage too..............BOB!

I had a 2008 F150 and it had a lot of cam phaser issues. Every time I would get it fixed it would act up again.

Not related to cam phasers, the spark plug on cylinder 8 kept burning up as well.

It's hit and miss on those Triton engines. Some people run those for a long time but I could not. My solution was to upgrade.

Back