Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

033 Nevada Pronghorn

Hideserthunter

Howdy,

i got lucky this year and drew a Sheldon pronghorn tag in Nevada. Wondering if anyone has hunted it the last few years and how they did? I know the area and have hunted it before so not looking for anyone’s areas or anything just curious how people have done recently there and how there herd there is doing

Nic. I finally pulled the same tag this year. Mine is the early ALW tag Aug 22-28. I haven't been up in a couple years. Hopefully it gets some rain soon. Good luck with your tag. If yours is later, I will try and update this after I get back.

decades ago when I threw my name in for NV, that unit was apparently the cream of the crop in NV. How many years does it take to draw that? If I remember right, it was like miniscule low odds of drawing, even back then.

I think I drew it last year with 13 points but turned in my tag because it partially overlapped my bull elk tag. So this year 14 points.

Nic. I finally pulled the same tag this year. Mine is the early ALW tag Aug 22-28. I haven't been up in a couple years. Hopefully it gets some rain soon. Good luck with your tag. If yours is later, I will try and update this after I get back.
I do have the late hunt. I look forward to hearing how your hunt goes and how it was out there. Good luck!

I 20210821_173024.jpgam back and I dont have the best of news. Its really dry and dusty. I drove around over 150 miles and hiked a lot and did not see any antelope. Saw a lot of deer, some horses, some cows, and sage grouse. Its also extremely smokey right now. On opening day I finally found some antelope with one buck. After finding him a second time, I decided after 14 years of putting in I would rather take home something, rather than nothing.
If you want to contact me I can try and help you out some. 775450374420210822_084643.jpg
Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places but it really doesn't seem like there are a lot of animals up there right now.
20210820_204731.jpg20210820_191602.jpg20210821_182751.jpg20210822_125619.jpg

Also FYI it was incredibley cold up there at night for this time of year. I did not expect it to be that cold in August. One of the nights it got down to 24 degrees and during the days it was 65-75 degrees depending on elevation and the day. There was also a lot of people all over the place. All of the camping areas had multiple 5th wheels in them. I never saw anyone else hiking in or really exploring but there were a lot of people camped. Also no fires any where and you have to carry a polaski or pickaxe, a fire extinguisher or water, and a shovel at all times in the vehicle. I am sure you know because you got their letter, but just wanted to make sure. Hope your hunt goes really well, let me know!

Talked to a guy from work who has hunted that area a lot over the years and he went out this week to help a friends son who had this same tag, and he said they only saw a few doe antelope and there were no antelope in the normal places he sees them. They were only out a few days but never saw a buck antelope.

it is my opinion from limited research that 033 is only as good as the units around it and not the antelope mecca that it once was years ago. I think any of the Northern units could produce a B&C book Buck in a good year. This year's mild winter and dry spring has been hard on all the units.

To me a Nevada Antelope hunt is not about "Shopping" for a buck like I have done in Wyoming. It is more like deer hunting and finding that isolated buck where no one else is looking. I was pretty proud of the antelope I killed in a Wilderness in Northern Nevada for that aspect.

The buck you took is one to be very proud of. I admire your photos. Well done.

This one is def awesome to me because it took so much hard work and had some serious lows to highs haha. I talked to another guy who had that same tag and he was about to find a smaller one and get it. I think the drought def has taken its toll on a lot of the antelope this year. I am super happy to have the one I got, and even better now that I have it all processed and in the freezer. Going to head out next weekend on my wife's hunt, looking forward to cooler weather and hopefully some moisture this fall/winter.

Great write up, thanks sharing. Just got done with my NV antelope hunt as well. Had a very similar experience. I think that drought this year is a HUGE factor.

Back