Caribou Gear Tarp

Zumbo is history

However if you go back and dig a little deeper into what he was actually attempting to say you would find out that he wasn't saying anything anti gun per se.

pretty tough to put a spin on his comments.
when someone like him ignorantly takes the position that these rifles have no use in hunting, they becomes a target for the anti-gun crowd and their quest to ban these and other rifles similar in design.

I cant see how anyone can defend his comments....
if he was so concerned about the image of hunters he would produce better shows.....anyone catch the hillbilly black bear hunt he made?
the only thing that would of made it look worse is if he was shooting a assault rifle and finished the bear off with a bayonet after it fell to the ground.

he's a lousy ambassador for hunting even without his recent comments.

JB,

I think sometimes when a crowd of people is running in one direction a thoughtful person needs to stop and see if the herd is running for the right reasons.

Tell me where Zumbo has said to ban any type of weapon from personal ownership? The issue has nothing to do with his TV show, His books or anything else he did. There obiously was a big enough market for his works in order for him to make a career out of them.

I have never read his books or even watched his TV show. What hope does the sport of hunting have in this country if we cannot even discuss appropriate weapons to be used for HUNTING even if Zumbo is wrong on the issue why are so many people afraid of putting the issue on the table? We have many many instances where there is a limit placed upon what kind of weapons and ammo we are allowed to use. Why shouldn't a lively discussion be allowed about whether AR 15's are what the types of weapons we want to use.

If you hated his show, ethics, books whatever you had a choice not to watch. I do not think that the "hunting community" should eat their own so quickly. If we are afraid that one stupid blog entry is going to end our 2nd Amendment rights then those rights are not going to be very long lived. If we can instead have a thoughtful debate on what is appropriate and still arrive at: AR 15's are okay. What would that discussion harm?

I guess I am stupid I don't see what debate and discussion over these rifles harms. I jumped on the bandwagon at first but then went back and read his comments again. I am not saying I agree with the terrorist weapons comment but that was an opinion by one guy. The reaction has been as if Zumbo encouraged jack booted thugs to confiscate all weapons from every gun owner. If gun owners are that paranoid then they need to go to therapy and get off the NRA calling list.

I can't think of a thing that would be harmed if we discussed whether we should allow AR 15's to be used or not. Even if you disagree with Zumbo why can't he bring it up without being thrown to the wolves by his "brothers"?

Nemont

How did he "threaten" millions of American shooters?

Jose,

Statements, simple statements threaten people, words. He said that the use of these, should be banned from hunting. Thats a threatening statement is it not.

I don't even own one so his statements don't threaten me. Although I'd like the right to be able to buy one if I wanted to. I don't belong to the NRA. Not a bit Paranoid Jose, the thread is why Zumbo got canned. Paranoid is asuming that Remington is Censoring Zumbo, right.

Tell me where Zumbo has said to ban any type of weapon from personal ownership?
he never said or insinuated it....im only pointing out that it's fuel for the anti-gun crowd.

Why shouldn't a lively discussion be allowed about whether AR 15's are what the types of weapons we want to use.

nothing wrong with having a discussion....but when you show someone that these weapons are capable of extreme accuracy and the projectile is suitable for the game you are hunting and they still see them as "assault" rifles the person goes from ignorant to stupid real quick(IMO).... the guide he was hunting with had told him about the rifles made today and how they are becoming the rifle of choice for a good portion of varmint hunters.

its funny how you will hear guys talk about the image of hunting and how the non hunting public would be effected by the sight of a dead deer in the back of a truck or blood in a picture....but they have no problem discussing an issue like "assault" rifles in front of the non hunting public.

If you hated his show, ethics, books whatever you had a choice not to watch.

i didnt hate his show, i sometimes found it very humorous(i dont think he meant it to be funny).... seems Hippocratic when he talks about his concern for the image of hunting.

i got a good laugh out of the hillbilly hunt

Even if you disagree with Zumbo why can't he bring it up without being thrown to the wolves by his "brothers"?

just like Buzz has stated in the past, ..when someone's actions could potentially harm my hunting rights or gun rights i will toss his ass under the bus without hesitation...! i will stomp a mud hole in his ass and walk it dry!

That Zumbo would call them "assault rifles" only highlights his ignorance. An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle that falls between a light machine gun and a sub-machine. Semi-autos, by definition cannot be classified assault rifles.

just like Buzz has stated in the past, ..when someone's actions could potentially harm my hunting rights or gun rights i will toss his ass under the bus without hesitation...! i will stomp a mud hole in his ass and walk it dry!

Which rights did Zumbo potenially harm? Your gun rights or your hunting rights? I am just curious.

Nemont

In my letters to and from Jim I have found him to want what was best for the Hunting community. Our discussions mainly centered on the anti hunting movement and Books that I thought would enable him to do his job as a Journalist better. His remark was unfortunate because it took him out of the struggle to maintain our Hunting Privileges. I don't support the NRA anymore, any group that has a Fit over Armour Piercing Bullets and is run by a Jackass, does'nt need my support. Most of the people that I have known to own the AR type guns bought them to set aside and make money with. I have only Hunted with one individual who brought one along on a Hog hunt I was on. As soon as he brought the damn thing out he had to show off with it by running a few rounds through it, not cool at all and that is where I think Jim was heading with his statement. And why is it that at Gun show this type of Rifle even has Mechanisms to get it to shoot practically Auto? To show the non-hunting public how responsible we can be with a firearm? You need to learn when and where to pick these fights and if you can thow away an Elder Statesman of our Sport, Lord help you when you Screw up and the Wrong person is there to see it take place. John

Which rights did Zumbo potenially harm? Your gun rights or your hunting rights? I am just curious.

Nemont, "potentially harm" is probably not a good choice of words which is a good example of why im not a outdoor writer or have my own hunting show....but both of them.
fuel for the anti-gun group to ban so called "assault rifles" and the use of firearm in which i may choose to hunt with.

In my letters to and from Jim I have found him to want what was best for the Hunting community.

well spoken knowledegable people are whats best for the hunting community.

As soon as he brought the damn thing out he had to show off with it by running a few rounds through it, not cool at all and that is where I think Jim was heading with his statement.

John, how many of the non hunting public seen this?
im guessing none.
as opposed to the thousands who have heard about Zumbo's comments.

Draftstud- I agree with your statements. I also look at the way in which AR's are sold at gun shows...they aren't sold as hunting weapons. They show a guy in battle fatigues/full camo with two belts of bullets around their neck...not quite the hunting look I go for. The bad part is, "hunters" shoot at wildlife just like the advertisement shows them how...

The bad part is, "hunters" shoot at wildlife just like the advertisement shows them how...

show an advertisement that encourages "Hunters" to blast away at wildlife.
provide a link, cut and paste, google to you cant google no more.

JB, If you had been in my position it would not have mattered how many Non hunting people saw it. My son and grandson saw it, the very ones we depend on to continue this tradition. Now what part of that jerk shooting that gun in the manner he did do you want your kids to see? Keep Guessing at your answers. John

I don't see need for it but I don't think it implies a lack of responsibility. People own all types of firearms and shoot for a variety of reasons. If someone wants to crank off a string of rounds I have no objections if it done in a safe manner.

I would hope that all gun owners would support the NRA. You may have issues with the current NRA leaders and certain policies but the NRA is the only organization fighting for our rights on anational level.

John, i must have guessed correctly. none.

is the sight of a rapid firing weapon something you dont want your kids to see?

if the guy was an ass, you explain it to your kids and be more careful about who you choose to hunt with.

JB, I don't see your point, a person can shoot a gun in an unsafe manner to show off and you conclude I don't wish my Son and Grandson to see rapid fire shooting? The man is a law enforcement agent and I would bet you money if he had pulled a 12 gauge out of his truck he would not have made an ass out of himself. Some times you have to accept the facts, some of these "Toys" bring out the Wrong Kid in some people. John

JB, I don't see your point

a person can shoot a gun in an unsafe manner to show off and you conclude I don't wish my Son and Grandson to see rapid fire shooting?
i didnt conclude he was unsafe by what you wrote so i assume it was the rapid shooting.

As soon as he brought the damn thing out he had to show off with it by running a few rounds through it,

you didnt mention it was in an unsafe manor.
what did he do that was unsafe?

Shooting Up and Down an Iron Ore Road so everyone could see the Dust Fly. A road that Oilfield workers drive on a daily Basis. You don't have to take a test to get one of these and make a fool of yourself. So, I guess my exposure to these guns was'nt the best. John

Jose,

Statements, simple statements threaten people, words. He said that the use of these, should be banned from hunting. Thats a threatening statement is it not.

First you said he was threatening millions of shooters, now you claim his statements about hunting are threatening.

Do you somehow think there are millions of hunters running around the woods with terrorist weapons shooting at animals?

Ok Jose, He only threatened thousands of hunters and shooters, in the US.
Oh you got me, Edith here I come, I'am having the big one Jose got me on a big one.

Back