Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Zimmerman found "NOT guilty"

noharleyyet, trust me, if I could relocate from Hampton County, I would be gone in a heartbeat. Unfortunately there's no way for me to sell my property that I inherited from my grandfather and father, and with my Soc. Sec. disability income I certainly can't afford to purchase property in another part of the state. I also have an 80 year old mother and an 80 year old aunt that I look after and help out with. A big portion of my venison goes to both of them to assist in cutting their grocery costs, as well. Also, I'm right in the middle of one of the best game zones in the state as far as the lack of limits, and the numbers of deer, and since I have my own property to still hunt along with my membership in the dog club that is about 1/4 of what most clubs charge, I have that incentive to help overcome the other detrimental aspects of living here. Besides, I'm not keen on uprooting my 16 year old step-grandson who I have permanent custody of, especially since he will be a junior this year and is very actively involved in the NJROTC program which is the one redeeming quality of Wade Hampton High School.

Just for information to the naysayers, I would also point out that prior to my strokes, both Discount Auto Parts which was purchased by Advance Auto Parts, and for whom I was a store manager; did a market research study of the population demographics of Hampton County. That study is where I originally derived my information on the racial composition of the population, and the statistics that were previously quoted also didn't indicate the same percentages of "other" races, and in fact showed a non significant percentage of races other than blacks and whites. So low in fact, that I wasn't required to hire a Spanish speaking employee for my store; unlike stores in some of the surrounding counties.

Couldn't have said it better myself...........It is what it is............
DS

Last edited:
Just because a black man speaks of other black people in that manner, doesn't make it correct or right. There are a lot of people making this a race issue (on both sides). Just like with wolf hunting...it has more to do with lining the political pockets (both for and against) with money about the issue than it does the issue itself.

Rhomas- the beauty of living in the US...if you don't like where you're at, only one person can change it. Don't sit around and complain and then vote for mickey mouse and then complain some more because nothing changes. I know your idea is much better...let your 16 year old stay in a crappy school, being taught by "bullies" with illegal activities happening because there is an ROTC. Makes a lot of sense...about as much as your other postings on this thread as well as others. Just wondering how many PTA, booster club, school board meetings, police dept, mayors office, governor, etc. that you have testified at, gone to or written a letter about or to. Have you once even spoken to a teacher or principal at the local school to see if you can make a difference? My wife, my parents and myself are on a first name basis with the Principal, President of the school board and quite a few of the teachers and staff at the school where my sons are students. It's not because we complain, we don't..it's because we get involved in our sons activities and the school he goes to. If there is a problem, we bring it up and it's amazing the response you get especially if they know you well enough to trust your opinion. Change happens one person at a time...I may not be able to change the world but I can sure as hell change my address if I don't like where I'm at.

Matt, I'm on a first name basis with practically everyone of the individuals you mentioned. And I am very involved with Travis' teachers, especially the ones who bother to show up on parent-teachers nights. The coaches are always too busy with athletic events to attend those meetings, and don't even show up for report card pick up. The Superintendent and I used to be personal friends.

As for relocating. FOR SALE 1.7 acres with 5 bedroom 2 1/2 bath modular home, located in the middle of some of the best whitetail, turkey, duck, and dove hunting in the low country of South Carolina. $85,000 and you can own this piece of property located 1/2 mile outside of the Town of Hampton. Property has a deep well and septic tank with two outbuildings, and is surrounded by a pine plantation. All within a short distance of the Savannah River, the Combahee River, and conveniently located between the Big Salkahatchie, the Little Salhahatchie, and the Coosawhatchie Rivers. Hampton is conveniently located halfway between Augusta, GA, and Savannah, Ga, and within 70 miles of Charleston and 45 miles from beautiful downtown Beaufort and Parris Island Marine Depot. A short one hour or so drive and you can be at Hilton Head, Hunting Island, Fripp Island, Edisto Beach, Isle of Palms, and Folly Beach. Columbia is within a two hour drive, and you can reach Florida in about 3 hours. Cash or Cashier's check will be accepted.

rhomas- if you are as close to the admin. and teachers as you say...why haven't you been able to change the way things operate? I know if I didn't like the way things were going and I wasn't able to change it...well, it wouldn't happen because either the administration would change the way the school operated or I would change the school my kids went to or the location of my house. That's a fact. While swamp land is very appealing to some...I prefer the mountains of MT...if I didn't, I wouldn't be here.

Matt, The point is, why aren't you as concerned about the hundreds of black on black killings as you are about this one? Do you carry the flag as high on those as on this one? Not much press coverage or rallys for those.........guess there is not enough time to spotlight all of them. There is a reason our prisons are filled with mostly black men, and that reason has nothing to do with racism. You go to prison when you break the law. You do the math.
Now this has no bearing on the Zimmerman decision. I personally thought he should have been found guilty......DS

Last edited:
LSU-I couldn't disagree with you more. I believe Zimmerman should have been found innocent based on the evidence and based on the law. The reason this case was interesting to me is due to the self defense aspect to it and the different nuances to it. I just think when someone follows you down the street...that person is the aggressor. Trayvon was doing nothing illegal when he started to being followed. I also look at it this way...if an older black guy were following a 17 year old white kid down the street would the result be the same? Maybe it would. The other aspect is an armed adult versus an unarmed youth. I realize Trayvons size but I still am of the belief that with age comes maturity and intelligence. The Hannity's and O'Reilleys are pounding a drum saying it wasn't based on race and Sharpton and Jackson on the other side banging the same drum saying it was based on race. Fact is both sides are making money by keeping the race issue alive while both are ignoring the real problem which are the laws themselves. I've always felt that when deadly force is used, it should be done so as a VERY last resort. I also think there is a Papparazi slant to this issue also. Papparazi are able to stalk and hound celebs with no recourse but as soon as a celeb pushes back they get sued. The least intriguing part of this case to me was the race slant...

Matt, we don't have school choice options down here.

Dave the names are original Yemassee(a Cherokee clan) Indian names, just as many of the towns and communities in the area also got their names. Others are named for Revolutionary War Battles, or original settlements from Colonial times. There are some that were named for the War of Northern Aggression battle sites, and heroes. Hampton County derived it's name when the original Beaufort Parrish was divided during Reconstruction, and is named for General Wade Hampton, a cavalry commander under Jeb Stuarts' Red Shirt Brigade, and later the Governor of South Carolina after the war and during Reconstruction.

South Carolina is loaded with French-Indian War sites, Revolutionary War sites, as well as the War of Northern Aggression. Some of the major turning point battles of the Revolution were fought down here.

LSU-I could get into the "white" vs. "minority" in prison disparity but it would take too much explaining. Suffice it to say that laws are slanted. If you would like more information here is a link to start with. http://www.civilrights.org/about/speeches/drug-sentencing.html

had to open that can of worms, Matt? bullchit. instead of looking at the unfairness, maybe lay the blame where it's at. "Large racial differences remain: 73 percent of black children are born outside marriage, compared with 53 percent of Latinos and 29 percent of whites." now look at your stats, and tell me what you see. tired of the poor, old, I get picked on crap. maybe if you weren't doing something wrong, you wouldn't be picked on. and, maybe if you had a father around to teach you right from wrong, you wouldn't be doing things you are not supposed to be doing. "We estimate that as much as half of the disadvantage associated with father absence is due to the economic insecurity and instability. Another quarter is due to the loss of parental time and supervision.

"According to government statistics, 72 percent of African-American children are born to unmarried mothers."

homes without fathers ultimately affect children in numerous tragic ways:

* 63 percent of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
* 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
* 85 percent of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes
* 80 percent of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes
* 71 percent of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
* 75 percent of all adolescent patients in chemical-abuse centers come from fatherless homes
* 85 percent of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes

not a mathmetician, but seems the numbers are related to me.

MattK: "I just think when someone follows you down the street...that person is the aggressor. Trayvon was doing nothing illegal when he started to being followed."

***That statement is ridiculous! Since when did the rule become that a sidewalk can only be used by one person at a time? There was no testimony that showed there was any action or words between the two of them until Martin jumped out of hiding when Zimmerman was on his way "back" to the vehicle, sucker punched him and then started pounding on him on the pavement before the gun put a stop to it! People need to take care of themselves and not rely on the police to do it because 9 times out of 10 they arrive "after the fact"!

Matt, the last I checked ,the laws aren't slanted. As bad as you would like to believe it, there is no different set of laws for different races. One nation, under God, ......................with liberty and justice for all. There is no white law and black law........there is only THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You break it, you suffer the consequences. There just happens to be more African Americans breaking the law than whities......therefore, we continue to build more prisons and provide more welfare support for the familys left behind without dear old dad. Hence the stats quoted by TLC. The big losers are the taxpayers...ie....me and everyone else that WORKS for a living. I'm not crying....it's just the path I chose. Prison never appealed to me so I decided to try and stay in the work force and not commit major felonys or deal drugs or murder individuals. Just a personal choice but it has served me well. I live a boring life raising my grandkids, loving my wife, pursuing wild game, and watching the nightly barrage of news storys here locally of the gang violence, rape and murder occurring almost daily just across the river. I indulge in my right to bear arms and will go out in a BLAZE of glory should I be called on by unsavory individuals with ill intent. I don't live in fear but rather in reality..........and the reality is, slavery ended 150 years ago, but we are still paying for and injustice none of us living today ever committed, and to a race that none of who living today ever suffered....you figure it out.
DS

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back