MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Zero Degree Bag

Is weight a consideration? I use a cheap ALPZ mountaineering 0 degree bag in the fall and early winter here in Montana without issue. Almost never have to wear a hoodie or lot of bottom layers- although I do still like a beanie.. it isn’t the lightest bag though- at just over 5 lbs. I also have been here forever and “cold” is relative 😉

I have a zero degree bag for the cold nights in the camper (no heat). Bought it at wal mart for like 80 bucks. If you're car camping, I'd just go with something cheap. Obviously, if you're packing the bag it's gonna be an entirely different story.

Went through this last season went with 0* Mountain Hardwear Bishop Pass seemed to perform great....it is a little narrow in my shoulder area but it is a good bag I think it was 250ish at REI. Hunting in Montana September through end of November and took it on an ice fishing trip.

Last edited:
If your not backpacking and just cold camping, you can always double up if you have some warmer bags, I did this once with a 20 deg and a 40 deg back and slept great in single digits. Nose was a little chilly, but my base layers and beanie kept me nice and warm.

I would seriously consider Montbell. I did a ridiculous amount of research this spring before buying a new bag. I don’t know what your budget is but they make an absolutely fantastic bag. The bag packs down small. It’s not heavy and the way they are stitched allows you to actually move in your bag even though it looks like a mummy bag which is worth it’s weight in gold for me.

Snagged this on Amazon and liked it so far. Coldest I’ve been in with it has been low thirties but stayed plenty warm and got hot at times. Time will tell this winter. Keep in mind the degree rating is to keep you alive and add 15 degrees or so to rate for comfort.

Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0 Degree F 650 Fill Power Hydrophobic Down Sleeping Bag with ClusterLoft Base - Ultra Lightweight 4 Season Men's and Women's Mumm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5AKG6T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_ITfn5C49qAGe4

I would seriously consider Montbell. I did a ridiculous amount of research this spring before buying a new bag. I don’t know what your budget is but they make an absolutely fantastic bag. The bag packs down small. It’s not heavy and the way they are stitched allows you to actually move in your bag even though it looks like a mummy bag which is worth it’s weight in gold for me.
Havent played with their bags yet but the wife and i both adore our Montbell down jackets that we own for backpacking long trails. Ours held up well on the Arizona Trail- which due to the number of spikes, spines, briars, and stickers is where UL gear goes to die!

I haven’t used it in the mountains yet, but I bought a slumberjack ronin 0 degree a couple years ago, and have used it in early spring here in Kentucky in the 30 degree range, and had to keep it unzipped. But it’s not exactly light weight at 77 ounces.

Might be above your budget but the Nemo Stalker is good 0 degree down bag. Used it several times into
The low 20s end it’s been solid. Almost gives my WM a run for it’s money

I've got a Nemo Sonic 0 and have woken up a few times with moisture in the tent/bag. I sleep hot and condensation always seems to be an issue for me. Wondering what good 0 degree options are for a synthetic bag? I can't do mummy style and need a little extra foot room...I was thinking a Kifaru Slickbag? The wide/regular length is listed at 4.12 lbs, so about a lb more than the Nemo. Open to other options if anyone has specific synthetic bags they liked?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back