Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Youth rifle Kansas 2016

Brisco

Had the opportunity to take my son out deer hunting during the rifle season. We didn't do much scouting, but we did have a look around when pheasant pheasant hunting and saw a few deer. He had an either species tag so our options were open. Without any family or friends in town for hunting and an archery tag in my pocket he had rifle season to himself. I selected two different places to start and let him choose between the two. He picked an area with some nice draws next too some fields. As the sun came up opening morning we slowly worked our way down the length of the draw. It did not take long before I spotted some antlers in the bottom. The buck was feeding and was unaware of our presence. We worked a little closer and got him set up for a shot. With a steady rest he squeezed the trigger. We heard the bullet hit the deer and he jumped over to some thicker cover out of sight. We circled around to get a vantage point on him and found him bedded down. We moved in closer to try to get another shot on him at which point he got up and moved out of the thick cover. My son got two more rounds in him before he went down. This is his fourth deer, third buck. He will turn 10 here in a couple days. He thanked me for taking him hunting about a hundred times, he was pretty darn happy. The buck broke the end of his main beam and one point on his right side he would have been a 4x4.
max 2016.jpg

Way to go Brisco and son. Kansas has been good to you gentlemen over the years.

Was it hard to get him out of school for the opener?

Really smart of you to start letting him consider options and learning how to decide where to hunt. Letting the younger ones make some of the decisions helps build self reliance, and self confidence.

Way to go Brisco and son. Kansas has been good to you gentlemen over the years.

Was it hard to get him out of school for the opener?

Really smart of you to start letting him consider options and learning how to decide where to hunt. Letting the younger ones make some of the decisions helps build self reliance, and self confidence.

He doesn't get to hunt if his grades are poor, and mom is good with hunting. We live in a rural community and haven't had any issues pulling him out of school to hunt.

Kansas has been very good to us.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back