Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Youth Outdoor Activity Day - Alexandria Minnesota

MNElkNut

I wanted to share something with Hunttalkers in the Alexandria MN area. This is the 3rd year of a free event that features hands on outdoor activities for kids and families which will be held on Sunday, August 28th. We have a facebook page now (Youth Outdoor Activity Day - Alexandria MN) and are on youtube (search for Youth Outdoor Activity Day). We could really use some traffic, likes, comments, shares, etc on our Facebook page. We should also be on Ron Schara's Minnesota Bound TV show very soon. This year we received a Youth Recruitment and Retention grant from the Minnesota DNR for just over $24,000. Part of that money will be used to give away hundreds (about 700) rods and reels, 70 bows and 60 BB guns. We will have 35-40 different activities for kids to do, including trap shooting, archery, tomahawk throwing, geocaching, dog handling, fire building, shelter building, outdoor cooking, climbing wall, etc. We are bringing in a trick shooting archery guy for a presentation as well.

This event is totally free. We will give a tee shirt to the first 2,350 kids who attend and free lunch for everyone. Two conservation groups have come together to put this on; the Douglas County Chapter of Pheasants Forever and Viking Sportsmen.

We will need about 250 volunteers this year I think. The other thing we need is people to bring kids who do not have the opportunity to try some of these activities. That is our target audience. If you, or anyone you know, will be in the area that day, I will guarantee you will have a really fun day if you come out and join us!

Awesome Program! Sounds like a lot of great activities for the kids to do! I hope you get to give away all of your t-shirts and more!

Year 1 was 2014 and we had 542 kids. Year 2 we had 1,391 kids. Who knows how many this year. We are so blessed to have a facility that can handle that number of people.

Thanks for doing this. What you and your group has put together is a remarkable event. Big kudos!

Back