Youth hunting frustrations

mxracer317

Frustrated and hopefully can get some suggestions.

I grew up in Canada hunting OTC deer each year. It was as simple as buying a tag in general units and going along with my dad.

As a recent Utah transplant, I want to take my 7 and 4 year old deer hunting. Road hunting is totally fine. I just want them to experience being brought up hunting.

They both really want to go deer hunting.

The problem is having to draw anterless tags, which, we didn’t draw this year. I’m at a loss on what to do to get them along on the trip.

Where I hunt would be impossible to take 2 young kids.

Any suggestions?

Can 4 and 7 year old kids legally hunt in Canada? I don't know if there are any states where kids that age can hunt.
In Oklahoma if your kid can pass the hunter safety course (which sense covid is all online) they can hunt as long as accompanied by a licensed hunter 21 or order no minimum age. I think the OP is more interested in taking his kids with him while he doe hunts not necessarily them shooting.

Can 4 and 7 year old kids legally hunt in Canada? I don't know if there are any states where kids that age can hunt.
You can hunt in PA as a mentored youth the second you slip out of the womb. Kids younger than 7 years old use the tags of the mentor, kids older than 7 get their own tags.

Bucks get harvested by road hunters on every gen season unit. You don't have to limit yourself to antlerless tags. -which are hard to draw for deer.
I'm in same boat as you with the places I find success not being suitable for youth. My oldest finally has his own general deer and elk tags this year. It's a struggle to balance the fun (not killing him on a hike) vs being successful.
Do some practice hunts on scouting trips and take any rabbit/grouse you see.

In Oklahoma if your kid can pass the hunter safety course (which sense covid is all online) they can hunt as long as accompanied by a licensed hunter 21 or order no minimum age. I think the OP is more interested in taking his kids with him while he doe hunts not necessarily them shooting.
💯

Waterfowl hunting is great for kids...they don't have to be too quiet and you can usually carry enough hot chocolate and snacks to the hunting spot. Dont have to worry about wrappers or phones making noise. I had a spot when my kids were little ducks usually quit flying by 10 and then we would go to breakfast...my oldest is 17 now...he still isn't crazy about deer hunting but will he go on a duck hunt anytime and we still manage to find a greasy spoon for breakfast afterwards.

That age isn't really aware enough for it to matter whether you're hunting or not. Take snacks and go look at stuff. Be sure to make lots of noise and break something. Find a creek and build a water wheel. They'll remember that. Well, the 4yo may not, but may be.

Maybe take the 7yo for small game. He's old enough to get into that. I've never hunted a jackrabbit in UT, but that's my suggestion. I bet a dollar the backstraps cooked in a foil pack over coals will hit right with a little fella.

That age is just right for half-day hunts. I'm thinking Stocked Pheasants

Utah's general pheasant hunting season runs from Nov. 5 to Dec. 4. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources releases thousands of pheasants on various wildlife management areas and Walk-In Access properties around the state each week during the general-season hunt. Visit the DWR website to see the release locations across Utah for the 2022 hunts.

The number of pheasants and where they can be found will depend on where you are hunting in Utah.

Back