Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Youth hunt?

pasteve

Hello all I have a 10 year old son that I like to take on his first western hunt in 2 to 3 years. He's been by my side on whitetail hunt since 5 years old. What state, season, animal would your recommend? My options are open I just want him to have the best all around hunting experience possible. Thanks in advance!

I will assume you're coming from PA...an antelope hunt would be hard to beat for a completely different hunting experience than you could get at home, relatively cheap to execute, minimal specialized knowledge or equipment needed.

My first big game hunt was a guided elk hunt at the NRA Whittington Center in Northern NM, and it was an amazing experience. They offer unguided hunts as well.

Wyo pronghorn
Colo leftover doe in the mountains

Both vastly different, see what you enjoy more. That could set up your application strategy for years to come.

Wyoming antelope is fun because you are always seeing animals. Arizona cow elk hunt is what I did with my son 2 years ago. We saw elk every day and he drew a drop of blood on one and totally missed another. It is about getting experience and that hunt does that.We missed the elk camp because of truck problems getting there but the people that help with that were still very helpful to us. We hunted one day for deer in arizona also weather was terrible. I grabbed a doe antelope and deer tag to hunt on the way home to ohio and almost pulled off the antelope in 5hrs we had to hunt never made it to the unit for deer. He had fun with the antelope even though he didnt hunt. Would set it up the same again with 4 tags and hope he connects on front end of hunt so I get a little more time but if not doe tags are cheap and you are building memories and a hunting buddy.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back