Youth 22

Lyfter1013

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I didn’t find anything when I searched.

What are some good options to start looking at for my daughter’s first 22? Obviously I want something that is going to fit her and she can get comfortable with. Just curious what others have started there kids with? She is going to be 10 Next month btw.

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I didn’t find anything when I searched.

What are some good options to start looking at for my daughter’s first 22? Obviously I want something that is going to fit her and she can get comfortable with. Just curious what others have started there kids with? She is going to be 10 Next month btw.
How big of a ten year old is she? These are great little guns for small shooters. I'm on the process of finding one for my 5 year old (take into consideration he is off the growth charts and is literally the size of most 8 year olds).

Beat me to it. I knew you were a man of good taste.
It was perfect for teaching the basics of shooting and safety. Lots of days letting him carry it (empty) with me in the field learning muzzle control. Depending how big a 10 year old it maybe to small. My boys about to be 9 and almost to big for his anymore. Hope to teach his son on it one day God willing.

It was perfect for teaching the basics of shooting and safety. Lots of days letting him carry it (empty) with me in the field learning muzzle control. Depending how big a 10 year old it maybe to small. My boys about to be 9 and almost to big for his anymore. Hope to teach his son on it one day God willing.
Same. A little small is better than too big in this instance imo. Those youth guns have come along ways for kids. My old man leaned me up against a tree with a full size 870 with 3" slugs in it and said wait here and be still lol. Wouldn't change it though.

Crickets are pretty small but I believe you can get larger stocks to put them in as the kids grow. Single shot is a great way to teach fundamentals and my daughter's is a pretty good shooter with the peep sights too.

Crickets are pretty small but I believe you can get larger stocks to put them in as the kids grow. Single shot is a great way to teach fundamentals and my daughter's is a pretty good shooter with the peep sights too.
I think they make another model 722? That one might be a smidge bigger and I think it is actually adjustable. Priced a little higher but definitely still budget friendly.

I’d probably lean Ruger American with compact stock module. Pretty good aftermarket options and fairly cheap, while still realistic bolt action reps.

Cricket is great and we have one, but they outgrow them fast.

I’d probably lean Ruger American with compact stock module. Pretty good aftermarket options and fairly cheap, while still realistic bolt action reps.

Cricket is great and we have one, but they outgrow them fast.
Thanks for the alternate option. I will take a look at these as well. Really need to get her into the store and see what fits her.

The cricket is a good option but at ten she might be about past that point. My brothers daughter finds it too small and she’s 10. Just wanna advise you be careful the store you use. The guys selling the guns are salesman. They’re gonna push you towards what they have so check a few before you decide

When my kids were really little, I got a Thompson Center Hot Shot. It’s basically a mini Encore in .22lr. It has a spacer for the stock so it can grow with them for a while. But, it’s still sized for little kids. I loved it. Single shot, break action, weighs almost nothing. Also, it's ambidextrous. You might still find one used if a single is appealing to you.

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 8.10.37 AM.png

Last edited:
There are a pile of good youth rifles out there. The only disadvantage to the Cricket I have seen is the cocking piece. Young or weaker kids will have a hard time with it, especially when learning the fundamentals. If they don't have the strength or dexterity to manipulate the action, the muzzle goes sideways very quickly as they try to find leverage to work the rifle. Find something that fits and an action she can work safely.

If you haven't already, you might check eye dominance as well. Cross dominant kids will usually shoot much better, and have more fun, if they shoot with the dominant eye instead of the dominant hand.

I won a Winchester Wildcat 22 at a RMEF banquet. It is a cheap 22 that I don’t really care about.

My kids and their cousins have fell in love with it. They are all under the age of 12. We have shot close to 1000 rounds out of it. Backyard steel spinner targets competitions in the summer are quite the riot. Even the non shooting parents got behind the trigger and burned thru some ammo.

It’s a cheap gun that fits most any small frame kid to big goober adults.

Skip the cricket, they are not near as fun as this semi auto.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back