Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Your Top FOUR Features for Hunting Pack (Not Brand Specific) Who else has thoughts?

Wrong Burgundy

Like so many pieces of gear we use hunting, a dedicated "hunting pack" is one of the more important ones. I like well-thought out gear, good construction, durable, etc. and wanted to get feedback and ideas from the HT community since it is made up of so many varied users, experience levels, states/countries hunted, etc.

The goal of this question is to focus on FEATURES that make or break a hunting pack, not the BRANDS.
Do you prefer camo? Does it need to be 'lightweight'? What is your definition of 'lightweight'? Tons of pockets or just a basic sack? Load shelf? Top loader, Panel loader? Comfortable? Adjustable? Made from fine Corinthian Leather? Waterproof? I think you get the point.

The intent is if you could pare it down to your Top 4 features that make a great hunting pack, what would they be? Just four, no more. No need to worry about which brand, but just straight best features in your opinion. Let 'er rip....and why top 4? No idea....just wanted to keep it short and sweet.

1. Not sure what it’s called but I guess the type of load shelf that is in between bag and frame (like stone glacier, mystery ranch, exo etc.). This is game changer as it allows the pack to feel like a normal hunting pack but when you get an animal down you are able to carry out a heavy load first trip.

2. Lightweight = ~5lbs or less

3. Comfortable = for me this is being able to have 50-60 lbs of meat on it for 3-5 miles.

4. Ease of use / common sense design = pack is well thought out and absent of unnecessary pockets, straps, buckles etc.

1 - Ability to carry the weight
2 - Ability to be small for day hunting and big for multi-day
3 - Load shelf
4 - Frame + bag weight around 5-6 lbs

if I could add a 5th it would have something to do with price!

1. Adaptability - compress down for daypack mode and expand for multi-day trips.

2. Gotta Carry a Load - I’m an idiot and will try to minimize the trips on a pack out. If it doesn’t carry a load, or is god awful uncomfortable under load, it’s out.

3. It has to fit. I have an long torso, so finding something that the load lifters actually lift is a chore.

4. Modular - I like having one frame and multiple packs or accessories that I can add or take away depending on the use.

1. A durable frame that will flex, like carbon fiber. I used a steel frame for years thinking it was the best, until I got a carbon fiber frame. Lighter, and had slight flex to move with me.

2. Compression features. I hate a loose pack. Whether I am using it as a day pack or a multi day pack, I want to be able to tighten it down from all angles to ensure my load is secure, not wobbling around.

3. Customizability.. I think that's a word. Everyone is different and a one size fits all approach is not always good. Being able to move the shoulder straps in or out/up or down, same with the belt and lower back pad.

4. Good Load lifters. I use my load lifters a lot, and for a while I ran a pack that didn't have any. Going uphill or downhill and being able to shift the weight, or just when my shoulders are tired being able to put the weight on my hips, it makes for a much more comfortable hunt/hike.

Name brand only with a Sitka pattern— or I’d rather stuff the meat in my pockets and make like 2,000 trips!

Kidding. I still haven’t found the perfect pack.. they always seem to have a spot for something the last one didn’t have a good spot for, in exchange for something else not having a good spot.. for instance, I just picked up a nice Kelty, I really like that its comfortable lightweight the camo looks great and vibrant and is much easier to attach a bow hands free than my last Cabelas brand pack. However, it has absolutely nowhere to put my spotter except the large main compartment which drives me insane. Good luck!

Most important might be debatable, but I'll throw 4 things up that are important to me.

1- has to be stable and feel solid with 90-100 lbs on board. I'm not going to use the word comfortable, as it's never comfortable, but a good frame and suspension makes it feel doable.

2-needs to compress well for day hunting with minimal gear.

3-needs to have a good weapons carry system.

4- I really like access other than the top opening to my main bag.

One thing that's interesting is how popular load shelf systems are. I use an older Kifaru system with 2 different bags and I always pack meat in the bag. I put my gear in the bottom, put my game bag of meat in a contractor bag and on top of my gear, and cinch everything down. I like how it keeps the weight elevated and close to my back. My hunting partner uses a Kifaru Duplex with an Exo bag and uses the shelf, and it seems to work great as well.

Versatile (attach bow, rifle, full game bag, pile of antlers, etc)

Waterproof (I’m done using pack covers)

Comfortable for light and heavy loads

Adjustable (plenty of straps to cinch down or fit to my body)

1.) Comfortable frame appropriate waist / shoulder weight distribution management ability.
2.) Top and front access to main bag and water bladder.
3.) Adjustable pack pouches on the outside to lock in game against the main pack.
4.) Shoulder / waist strap holster attachment (both, or individual firearm / OC spray).

Comfort with heavy loads
American made
Comfort with heavy loads
multiple bag system

My pack is perfect. I have a have tried many. No name mentioned

-How it rides on shoulders/back. Can I wear it all day without getting lower back or shoulder pains
- carries my gun, shooting and walking sticks
-adaptable for frame only, frame and pack, meat hauler and as mentioned in first line at different weights
- lots of pockets for organization. I prefer more pockets even if smaller as I am an organizer freak
- quiet
- durable. Can go through briars, trees, rain, snow and hold up to many miles and seasons. Mine is on my 6th season with no repairs or needed other than a wash. It has at least 500 miles on it of back country hunting.

I've been using a 90L backpacking pack that I've been packing heavier and heavier to get ready for my 1st elk hunt. It holds all my gear with plenty of space but at 50lbs in the bag, the chest clip doesn't stay attached to the shoulder straps. Thats a major deal breaker on this pack and finally broke down to order a "real" hunting pack. That being said:

1. Has to carry comfortably
2.\
3. > Has to not break under load!
4./

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back