Your top 5 Montana brews

kwyeewyk

Closing in on Montana's 11 week season, figure I'll just hunt wherever the best beer is, so what's your favorite? Brew/brewery and/or spirit/distillery. I've spent some time in MT over the years and drank a lot of beer there but don't think I've ever been too impressed with the quality, you know, compared to WA, OR and CA breweries. But guessing I just haven't found the best of the best yet, so show me the light.

If you tell me Philipsburg MT 1 you're fired!

Boy it's really gonna depend on your tastes, but for me, no particular order:

Bayern Dragon's Breath - Dark Hef
Kettlehouse Cold Smoke - Scotch Ale
Higlander Devil's Hump - Red Ale
Red Lodge Bent Nail - IPA
I'll throw a curve in for a warm evening on the patio...Western Cider Fat Robin - Hard cider w/ flathead cherries

I am by far not the most experienced MT beer drinker, but I know what labels I look for when I am out there.

Kettlehouse: Cold Smoke Scotch Ale (pretty amazing on the nitro tap) and Double Haul IPA
Jeremiah Johnson: I have tried a few of theirs that they have been pretty good.
Bozeman Brewing: Hopzone
Big Sky: Scapegoat EPA (I have a thing for those furry white goats...), They have an stout that is pretty good too (can't recall the name)

I have wanted to check out Mountains Walking Brewery in Bozeman. Heard good things, but haven't had a chance. Maybe someone can confirm.

I like Bayern and Wildwood beers a lot as they seem to focus more on traditional beer styles than the “Taste of the Forest Floor Quadruple Hopped IPA” style stuff.

Disappointed that Highlander seems to have dropped Devil’s Hump from their lineup. Hasn’t been on local store shelves lately and was not available of draft at the taproom on my last recent visit.

Time to stir the pot.

I don’t drink IPAs, and I’m not from Montana- been here 4 years and change, originally from the Midwest, and had more than my fair share of brews living there. And I’m thoroughly unimpressed by Montana’s beer.

With that said:

Bayern Bakkenbock
Bayern Dump Truck
Highlander? Ditch Parrot
Meadowlark Nice Marmot
Carter’s Kolsch

Bozeman brewers needs to lay off the weed and realize not everybody wants overhopped beers, and the entire state needs a lesson in proper carbonation levels at elevation- it’s annoying.

In no particular order:
Bridger Brewing - Vigilante IPA
Draught Works - Hand Rolled Hazy IPA (but My Ruca is a close second)
Ten Mile Creek Brewing - Woodknocker IPA (they don't distribute, so you're stuck in Helena for this one)
Kettlehouse - Cold Smoke
New Hokkaido - Pilsner (offshoot of Mtns Walking, but Japanese style beers)

[QUOTE="MinnesotaHunter, post: 3448485, member: 17758
Big Sky: Scapegoat EPA (I have a thing for those furry white goats...), They have an stout that is pretty good too (can't recall the name)

I have wanted to check out Mountains Walking Brewery in Bozeman. Heard good things, but haven't had a chance. Maybe someone can confirm.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good plan leading up to a trip into the hills for a beast the color of winter. Maybe pull a Greenhorn and pack a can of Scapegoat apiece for the after success campfire?

Billy approves.556A1624-B677-4EC6-B03A-1920BC7EBD66.jpeg

Sounds like a good plan leading up to a trip into the hills for a beast the color of winter. Maybe pull a Greenhorn and pack a can of Scapegoat apiece for the after success campfire?

Billy approves.View attachment 235876
[/QUOTE]

We will definitely be packing beer in. I will try not to do what I did when scouting for my goat, and puncture a can of Hopzone in my pack. I was really hoping grizzly didn't like hoppy beer there for a couple days...

Cannot visit "Mountains Walking" as hands down the best brewery in Montana is right across the street. Bozeman Brewing is certainly the best beer, no frills brewery.

Some good beers from MT. Dirt Church, Map's IPAs - strange cattle and midas, Coldsmoke scotch ale is good, even though from Missoula. Map has a good environment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back