Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Your top 5 Montana brews

Off subject, but did you happen to see Son Volt play at Red Ants? Really wanted to see them, couldn’t make it.

Oh, and Slow Elk is seasonal, comes out right around General Season if my slippery memory serves me.
Yes! Seeing Son Volt was the whole reason we went. I've been waiting 20 years to see that band, and it was great! We hung around to see Grace Potter after SV, and I'd never listened to her or even really heard of her, but dang she rocked the place. Great show, I was impressed. We only stayed and camped one night. Honestly that's probably enough for me. It's a great scene though. Never been until this year so we were psyched. I will definitely go back if there's a band I really want to see.20220730_201521.jpg

Yes! Seeing Son Volt was the whole reason we went. I've been waiting 20 years to see that band, and it was great! We hung around to see Grace Potter after SV, and I'd never listened to her or even really heard of her, but dang she rocked the place. Great show, I was impressed. We only stayed and camped one night. Honestly that's probably enough for me. It's a great scene though. Never been until this year so we were psyched. I will definitely go back if there's a band I really want to see.View attachment 237248
That’s awesome! Glad to hear you got to see them!

If you tell me Philipsburg MT 1 you're fired!
I'd never had MT1 until yesterday. My wife and I were just off a 3-day backpack and stopped in to Philipsburg for lunch. Could be all the smoke that's in the air and trail dust hiking out through an old burn, but I thought it was pretty good! It was also exceedingly cold on an abnormally hot day...

I'd never had MT1 until yesterday. My wife and I were just off a 3-day backpack and stopped in to Philipsburg for lunch. Could be all the smoke that's in the air and trail dust hiking out through an old burn, but I thought it was pretty good! It was also exceedingly cold on an abnormally hot day...
Well I haven't actually tried it on tap, had the wide mouth cans, maybe they had just sat on the shelf for way too long, but not a good experience. If I make it through Phillipsburg when they're open I'll give them another try.

I'm seeing some true horse piss mentioned here. Am I the only person that salmon fly honey rye gives terrible heart burn? Madison River Brewing is great, but that one does not agree with me. The dropper is better.

@Backofbeyond - scepter is good beer
Agreed. The salmon fly honey rye is grosssssss.

Blackfoot ipa is really, really good. I am a huge fan of their opa too (organic pale ale). Their cream ale doesn't disappoint. I like dirt church and single hop from Bitterroot. We use to drink the shit out of scapegoat from big sky until they stopped making it. Fresh bongwater from kettlehouse is yummy. Not beers, but western cider's whiskey peach and the pear cider from last chance are good too. Also, a shout for Tamarack since they're my employer for the last 10 years. Our seasonal big drift white ipa is a hef/ipa hybrid that is really good.

Last edited:
Copper Furrow Mexican Lager
Copper Furrow Wizard Juice
Madison River Salmon Fly (much better in taproom)
MAP Brewing Strange Cattle
Blackfoot IPA

Copper Furrow Mexican Lager
Copper Furrow Wizard Juice
Madison River Salmon Fly (much better in taproom)
MAP Brewing Strange Cattle
Blackfoot IPA
Missouri River Brewing has a honey rye on tap right now that I'd take over Salmon Fly any day. Given your selections, I'd guess you're in the area - it's worth checking out.

Missouri River Brewing has a honey rye on tap right now that I'd take over Salmon Fly any day. Given your selections, I'd guess you're in the area - it's worth checking out.
I'm over in Bozangeles and I'll have to check it out next time I am in the area. Salmon Fly at Madison river is really batch dependent it seems.

OK @kwyeewyk - I found a 4-pack of MT1 here in BZN - yeah, my first impression was definitely altered from being just off the trail. Pretty disappointing and not a beer I'd buy again - you were right!

Funny but I've never been a huge fan of Blackfoot River Brewing beers, as much as I like the atmosphere of the place and hanging out there (and the popcorn). Being a pale ale guy, I never found the OPA to my liking, and the Single Malt IPA is stronger than I like. But I have to say in the past year or so they have really upped their pale ale game. They've made a string of really good pale ales that are very tasty, and often they even have two on tap. So I've changed my opinion about them. I go there more often than I used to. Even more ever since Ten Mile Creek stopped having the Queen City Pale Ale on tap regularly.

Lucky Lager
Great Falls Select
Highlander

For alien brews I think the following are best:
Coors Lite
Olympia
Rainier
Schlitz
and of course good old Pabst Blue Ribbon dog snot

I prefer crappy beer because I like good beer too much. It's easy to stop at one when you're drinking swill.

Funny but I've never been a huge fan of Blackfoot River Brewing beers, as much as I like the atmosphere of the place and hanging out there (and the popcorn). Being a pale ale guy, I never found the OPA to my liking, and the Single Malt IPA is stronger than I like. But I have to say in the past year or so they have really upped their pale ale game. They've made a string of really good pale ales that are very tasty, and often they even have two on tap. So I've changed my opinion about them. I go there more often than I used to. Even more ever since Ten Mile Creek stopped having the Queen City Pale Ale on tap regularly.
I believe the Queen City is back. Good beer.

I just had to drive to Billings in blizzard-like conditions most of the way there and part of the way back. Slow going. Long few hours.

I grabbed a sixer of some Bridger Brewing Mad Mile Cream Ale fueling up, thinking 'oh cream ale, nice and light'. Only, I didnt read the label very well to see that its fruited with cucumber and honeydew. Each sip is different, on one sip I think 'oh! cucumber, thats refreshing!' then on the next I think 'foul mellon! why would you do this to me, cruel world?!'.

Cant decide if I should recommend or not.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back