Your thoughts on a few items, please.

Colberjs

I think I'm about to order a couple camping items. Blackovis is having a pretty good sale.

I'm thinking the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2

Big Agnes Fish Hawk 30* or Lost Ranger 15*. Which do you guys recommend as far as temp rating? I don't want to freeze at night but will the 15* be too warm if the temps aren't very cold? Also both are 650 Downtek water repellant down. Is that suitable or should I avoid down? I'm 6'3"/250# and these seem pretty roomy and there were a couple comments made on this site as to their suitability for + size guys.

Big Agnes Air Core SL pad (It will slide into a pocket in either of the above bags, which will be good for my tossing and turning self!)

I've searched these items and they seem to have decent reviews on this site but want to be extra sure before I drop that kind of coin. Thanks!!

I have a BA Lost Ranger 15* and really like the pad sleeve system. I am a side sleeper and it is roomy enough to move around (I'm 6'/190# though). I have slept with it unzipped on archery hunts in Sept. to avoid getting hot.
No complaints on zipper function or anything else. Obviously you'd want to get the long.

backcountry.com is having a sale of an extra 20% off right now. The Big Agnes Lost Ranger is $197 with free 2 day shipping. The BA Summit Park bag is even bigger but with similar weight.

I've been very happy with Big Agnes gear and their customer service when I damaged my FlyCreek tent.

I have 3 sleeping bags. Two are suitable for backpacking. I look at the 10 day forecast as am leaving for the hunt.

One bag is rated 30F and other 0F. Most people feel a bag's comfort range is 10F or more above the lower end of the comfort rating. My 30F bag is rarely used beyond 40F lows.

By unzipping or tossing extra clothes over the bag then you can make the bag a bit more comfortable over a wider range of temps. As for 15F v 30F...is hard to sweat to death as sleep but if you get cold one night you will not be rested in the morning and could be a serious situation if you get caught in some frigid temps.

Thanks for the replies. I'll checkout backcountry.

I agree on not being able to sleep when I'm hot and sweating. I have a cheap bass pro bag that I think is a 30* bag and usually have to take another blanket with me to wrap up in inside the bag to stay warm if its cold. I'm thinking the 15* bag will be better for me. I may pick up another bag later for warmer temps. I kind of doubt I'll be hunting below 20* but you never know what might blow in.

I've had one of the hubba hubba tents for years. Great tent, has held up well, light and easy setup, but buy the warmer bag. ;)

Are you backpacking or truck camping? In July or November. In Texas or Alaska... as in what are your plans for use?

Are you backpacking or truck camping? In July or November. In Texas or Alaska... as in what are your plans for use?

My primary intention for it is Colorado elk hunting. It could be early season archery or it could be 2nd/3rd season rifle. I want to be equipped for backpack hunting. It could get some other use such as whitetail hunting in here in OK in which case I will more than likely be camping at the truck as most of our public hunting areas only allow camping in designated areas. There is a large area that is owned by lumber companies that allows backcountry camping not too far from me.

I have a 15 degree Marmot bag that I use for September elk hunting. If it's really warm, I just use it over the top of me and sleep directly on my Big Agnes Sleeping Pad.

I use a down bag all the time. Just make sure if it gets damp from sweat, condensation, etc. get it dried out.

If you are going to use the pad for later season hunts I would get an insulated one.

I have a 15 degree Marmot bag that I use for September elk hunting. If it's really warm, I just use it over the top of me and sleep directly on my Big Agnes Sleeping Pad.

I use a down bag all the time. Just make sure if it gets damp from sweat, condensation, etc. get it dried out.

If you are going to use the pad for later season hunts I would get an insulated one.

Thanks

Agree with JLS.

If you're going to be hunting all sorts of weather, either get two bags, or one that will be overkill for some hunts.

I've not tried the BA bags, so not sure how they work when its warm using the "quilt" method. Tossing them over you like a quilt isn't really an option? Personally I think I'd want a full bag.

Forget the blanket and get a bag liner. There are some nice ones that weigh next to nothing. They add warmth and keep your bag cleaner as well.

No comment on the tent, looks decent and MSR makes great stuff. My only recommendation is base your tent on weight/floor space. Meaning get the biggest lightest tent you can find. Check out the BA Copper Spur 2, same size tent, lighter and same price... Better yet check out the Copper Spur 3... not a lot heavier, and a lot of room fro two guys. I've been using this one for about 4 seasons now, love it.

I'm a little aggravated with backcountry. I ordered a sleeping bag and a pad. They charged my card and sent an email saying one item had shipped and the other would ship soon. Then oday they sent me another email saying the bag was no longer available in the configuration I ordered (long/left zip).

It would be one thing if they hadn't charged my card, but they did. Their website showed one available when I ordered.

I just went and looked and they don't have that bag at all. And they aren't refunding my money until I contact them and tell them what I want to do or after 5 days of no contact.

Well I'm a little late to reply but I'll give you my thoughts and experiences anyways.

The BA air core pad is not adequate for most backpacking hunts. It has an R-value of 1.5, you need at least 5.0 to get below 30* in relative comfort. Sleeping pads are often overlooked and this is what usually leads to your sleeping bag grossly under performing. If you are not insulted from the ground, then it will be sucking heat out of you all night. At some point throughout the night your body will not be able to keep up and you will wake up chilled. When you lay on your insulation it compresses it which reduces the effectiveness of it.

I have a Neoair with an R value of 2.7 ish and if it gets down to 25* or so I sleep cold even in my 0* bag. If the forecast is going to be for 30* or less I don't even take it anymore.
Where as if I use my BA Dual aircore, which has an R-value or 5.0, it's not a problem. The Dual air core is heavy though and that's a big factor when backpacking.

Well I'm a little late to reply but I'll give you my thoughts and experiences anyways.

The BA air core pad is not adequate for most backpacking hunts. It has an R-value of 1.5, you need at least 5.0 to get below 30* in relative comfort. Sleeping pads are often overlooked and this is what usually leads to your sleeping bag grossly under performing. If you are not insulted from the ground, then it will be sucking heat out of you all night. At some point throughout the night your body will not be able to keep up and you will wake up chilled. When you lay on your insulation it compresses it which reduces the effectiveness of it.

I have a Neoair with an R value of 2.7 ish and if it gets down to 25* or so I sleep cold even in my 0* bag. If the forecast is going to be for 30* or less I don't even take it anymore.
Where as if I use my BA Dual aircore, which has an R-value or 5.0, it's not a problem. The Dual air core is heavy though and that's a big factor when backpacking.

Thank you for your reply. I ended up ordering an insulated pad. I just checked and it's only a 4.1 R value but I guess it's better than nothing. I'll see how it works out and adjust accordingly on my next one.

I contacted backcountry and got a refund and ordered the same bag from blackovis.

After researching tents a little more I think I'll take Bambistew's advice and go with a 3 person tent. The Copper Spur seems to be the best bargain I can find considering size:weight ratio. The cheapest I have found it is $400 with the footprint.

I've had a few insulated air cores. No complaints, other than they seem to spring slow leaks after a couple years. Not a big deal, and I've dealt with it by putting a couple breaths into them at night. I've slept just fine in temps as cold as I wanted to sleep in. Lots of nights in the 20's and 30's no problem being cold.

One thing you can add to your kit is a 1/3 of a Z-Rest pad. This doubles as a butt pad in camp or for glassing, etc. and also put it under your pad in your tent. Adds warmth/insulation and some protection against sharp things that may puncture the pad. I think Thermarest now makes a little butt pad, but its pretty small (1/2 the size) in comparison to a 1/3 of a Z-Rest.

Good choice on the tent. Its a palace for one guy, and plenty of room for two guys. Only downside is finding a flat spot big enough to pitch it. I've had some creative camp sites.

Glad to hear you got the insulated air core rather than the air core, it is better suited for backpack hunts. 4.1 should be fine for most of the conditions you will encounter. Another bit of trivia here is that the coldest part of the day is at sun up. Your out of your bag by then :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oras
Back