Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

As to the parenting thing.. few and I mean damn few kids (of parents who are possessed with hunting) have the same drive or interest.

I'm sure some day folks will be flying a helicopter to the top of Everest to get a selfie... no problem with that, but it's not the same as spending months on the mountain to acclimate to climb it without oxygen, it's not the same as when Hillary and Norgay did it, and it's certainly not the same as the Sherpas who climb it multiple times a season ferrying everyone's crap up the mountain.

The reason sheep hunting has cachet is because it's near impossible for the average person to get a tag, it's cool because it's a unique once-in-a-lifetime experience, and if you go unguided it can be a difficult. What folks are interested in is seeing people have that unique experience, and imagining themselves having that experience.

Folks are removing all the adversity from the experience and expecting the same cachet.

A big elk head is just a big elk head, what's interesting is the story... "I paid 50k to shoot that in Texas" is different than "I spent 30 years hunting the _________ mountains and connected on that bull 8 miles back in a hell hole".

Rich folks getting butt hurt because plebs aren't enthralled by their cheating... sour grapes indeed.
Always bagging on the Texans..

I am in the wrong line of work to be a hunter in 2022. Good thing I enjoy general tag elk hunting more than just about anything else I suppose.

At 10 years old: “Later that year she had a successful Dall sheep hunt in Alaska, where she also tagged a caribou and killed a grizzly bear that ran into camp with a 712-yard shot.”

Missed this one,
Ill bet she's going to be a great "influencer".
I'm sure some day folks will be flying a helicopter to the top of Everest to get a selfie... no problem with that, but it's not the same as spending months on the mountain to acclimate to climb it without oxygen, it's not the same as when Hillary and Norgay did it, and it's certainly not the same as the Sherpas who climb it multiple times a season ferrying everyone's crap up the mountain.

The reason sheep hunting has cachet is because it's near impossible for the average person to get a tag, it's cool because it's a unique once-in-a-lifetime experience, and if you go unguided it can be difficult. What folks are interested in is seeing people have that unique experience, and imagining themselves having that experience.

Folks are removing all the adversity from the experience and expecting the same cachet.

A big elk head is just a big elk head, what's interesting is the story... "I paid 50k to shoot that in Texas" is different than "I spent 30 years hunting the _________ mountains and connected on that bull 8 miles back in a hell hole".

Rich folks getting butt hurt because plebs aren't enthralled by their cheating... sour grapes indeed.
She's on her way to become a great "influencer" .
God help us!

I can’t weigh in on stone sheep but money can buy a helicopter hunt for dall sheep in the NWT.
Calling it a helicopter hunt is misleading... To my knowledge, hunters with outfitters are being brought to remote areas. Same way they use super cubs in Alaska. The only reason they don't use helis in AK is because it's illegal. Still a physically demanding hunt. You just aren't spending 2-3 days or more on horseback getting to the area you're hunting.

Calling it a helicopter hunt is misleading... To my knowledge, hunters with outfitters are being brought to remote areas. Same way they use super cubs in Alaska. The only reason they don't use helis in AK is because it's illegal. Still a physically demanding hunt. You just aren't spending 2-3 days or more on horseback getting to the area you're hunting.
Riggghhhhtttttt.

Try landing a cub the same places you can land a helicopter...

Study up...

Riggghhhhtttttt.

Try landing a cub the same places you can land a helicopter...
I've come to the conclusion that you're extremely egocentric. I never said they could land in the same places. Are they, or are they not used in a similar way to super cubs? Both shuttle hunters into remote areas. Right? Or do you want to just keep disagreeing with me? I'm sure you'll have something intelligent to share that doesn't relate to anything I've said.

I've come to the conclusion that you're extremely egocentric. I never said they could land in the same places. Are they, or are they not used in a similar way to super cubs? Both shuttle hunters into remote areas. Right? Or do you want to just keep disagreeing with me? I'm sure you'll have something intelligent to share that doesn't relate to anything I've said.
Ever done a sheep hunt in a cub? Ever seen where they can and can't land a cub? Where it's easy to land a helicopter?

How much have you flown in each?

You're delusional if you think a helicopter sheep hunt is the same as a cub.

About as ridiculous as saying using a cub is no different than using a horse.

About as ridiculous as saying using a horse is no different than backpacking.

Sell your BS to folks that haven't been there done that.

🤡

I’m not sure what else a person would call it? Helicopter based hunt maybe? They are illegal in Alaska for a reason. The ability to land just about anywhere is a game changer. I’d love to hunt over there since it’s some wild country with so few hunters.

I’m not sure what else a person would call it? Helicopter based hunt maybe? They are illegal in Alaska for a reason. The ability to land just about anywhere is a game changer. I’d love to hunt over there since it’s some wild country with so few hunters.
Right, we used helicopters for fighting fire because it made it tougher and was no different than driving there in a truck, or backpacking in.

SMH....

Ever done a sheep hunt in a cub? Ever seen where they can and can't land a cub? Where it's easy to land a helicopter?

How much have you flown in each?

You're delusional if you think a helicopter sheep hunt is the same as a cub.

About as ridiculous as saying using a cub is no different than using a horse.

About as ridiculous as saying using a horse is no different than backpacking.

Sell your BS to folks that haven't been there done that.

🤡
Been in a cub and a helicopter. I know where they can and can't land. Clearly they can land in different places. The idea is to get into a remote area. Both forms of air transportation will do that. Can a heli get you in to a different area than a cub? Yes, clearly. Never said they can land in the same spots or even areas. Any other words you can put in my mouth?

I'm not sure. But yes that's the idea of using a heli or a cub, it gets you into the most wild and remote places. But apparently you're not a hunter to some ppl if you don't walk in from the road.

I had not thought of helicopters. I guess if you can use them to access good stretches of the Flathead to fish you could use them for sheep…
Nothing tougher than landing on top, hiking DOWN to your ram and having it long lined to your truck.

Pretty similar to backpacking into the UL's or the Church to hunt rams.

I'm not sure. But yes that's the idea of using a heli or a cub, it gets you into the most wild and remote places. But apparently you're not a hunter to some ppl if you don't walk in from the road.
Yeah, the most wild and remote country with the least amount of work as possible. No different than lugging a backpack there...

So in NWT, Yukon, or BC, could a guide fly over with a lower cost plane, spot rams, call the “hunter” at home, have him/her/they fly in the next day, and then helicopter he/her/them in a mile or so from the rams?

(edited in case I used the wrong pronoun in my original post in 2023).

Last edited:
Not really, no room with your foot occupying that space quite nicely...
Cute! Your parents must be proud of the mighty hunter they raised. Only walks in from the roads in the lowest success rate units. Iron sights only on his flintlock. Or excuse me, he only has a long bow.

You're right, flying a plane or heli into a remote area is the most unfair thing ever.

I'd pay for a flight into a remote area to avoid bumping into someone like you on the mountain.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back