YNP/GTNP Sept fishing?

timberman56

going to be in Jackson, Teton, YNP, and Gardiner middle of Sept, bringing along a u.l. spinner. wife and I plan on doing some kayakin in Jenny, Jackson and/or Yellowstone lakes in addition to some short (3-5 mi) hikes. especially since wife is along - scenery is as/more important as catching.. any advice for a hike-in lake on a trail, an area to try on the 3 lakes above, or a river/stream on the route will be appreciated. recommended trout lures? I did good below Jackson Lake dam in June several years back and caught some 1 1/2-2# lake trout off bank near Colter Bay (actually, had them cooked at the restaurant there-WOW). Also looking for a short horse trail ride around the Gardiner area

You might check out hiking in to Heart Lake, YNP. It's been 30 years so no idea if the fishing is better or worse. Back then it was pretty great. Don't forget bear spray.

You might check out hiking in to Heart Lake, YNP. It's been 30 years so no idea if the fishing is better or worse. Back then it was pretty great. Don't forget bear spray.
Been probably 8 years since I went and the fishing was pretty great still.

Reactions: Hem
Stop by the Snake River dam and throw your spinner there. It can be good. I watched three grizzlies swim the river right at the dam there in 2018. They came down and crossed at the spot I had been fishing all summer but that day I happened to be on the other side.

thanks guys. we will not have enough time (or energy) to hike to Heart Lake if it takes a full day or more to make it worth the effort. String L. looks like a great call since we have (anniversary) dinner reservations at Jenny L. Lodge one night and plan to take the shuttle boat across the lake to Inspiration Point and the trail on up to Hidden Falls. I do plan to stop on way N and back S at the Snake dam - can do w/o the griz experience there tho! can't wait to get N and out of this heat - just checked the forecast for next week- lows in low 40's !! hellyea I'll be sure to post if I see that one-eyed warden

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back