Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Yet Another Vortex Going in for Warranty

You can buy shim kits for them. I have them on 3 swfas and they work fine. They usually don't align perfectly but usually not more than .3 mils past 0.

I've never taped the windage dial on my 3-9 hds and I've been dragging them around for 3 years now and they've never moved.

Garden hose gasket or sight glass rubbers for a treater work too

If you want your scope to hold zero, just be careful of what internet groups you follow. HT, lots of scopes work, other than Vortex, with which my gunsmith agrees; if "it won't shoot",and it has a Vortex, that's likely the problem. Rokslide, apparently, none of them do. LRH, obviously nothing works other than $1800 NF, and the $2800 one is, well, for serious shooters and hunters. Although, really, if you get down to it, might as well get a $4500+ Tangent Theta.

If you can't afford to shoot a rifle with a decent scope, probably just go back to your 12 gauge with slugs. Or just throw rocks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you have a scope move 1-1/2 feet, on a hunt 1000 miles from home, it creates an opinion in your mind. When it moves a foot after being repaired, the opinion is solidified and isn't going away. I was told decades ago, if you want a customer for life, make dam sure their first experience is a good one.

Because most ranchers I know that gun was either sighted in on a pop or beer box at less than 100 yards off the hood of the pickup or off the door. Hits the box we are good to go.
Exactly right. My big game rifle shoots a load that I know it likes and I know what that bullet is going to do at different yardages.

My pickup gun for predators can hit a corner post off of the hood at whatever distance I decide to turn sideways. I shoot whatever bullets the local hardware store can get in.

There are not many times you get a standing still shot at a coyote with the exact yardage when your ranching. You just shoot.

I have not used Vortex but based on 2 sets of binos and 1 scope failing on different friends hunts when I've been with them I shy away from Vortex.

Ugh. I really want to like Vortex. I really like the features and the glass is good for the price point. But good grief I have had the worst luck with Vortex.

Sending in yet another optic for warranty repair. I have reluctantly owned 6 Vortex optics and only 1 has yet to break. I know what you're thinking: man, that guy beats the hell out of his gear! But I don't, I actually baby my optics.

I have had the following issues:
1. Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotting scope - prism broke off and rattled around in the body ruining everything
2. Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotting scope (same spotter, on the very next hunt) - focus knob fell off
3. Viper HS 4-16x50mm scope - something broke inside and wouldn't hold zero, my dad missed a chip shot at a nice 6x6 bull because of this (to this day he has still never killed a bull elk)
4. Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP scope - multiple pieces of trash floating around inside when I unboxed it new
5. Viper PST 6-24x50mm scope - smudge on the inside of the objective lens when I unboxed it new
6. Viper HST 4-16x44mm scope - won't hold zero, shooting 3" groups on a rifle that shoots 1/2" at 100 yards
7. Viper HD 10x42mm binos - diopter adjustment ring seized

Yes, their warranty is great. They pay shipping both ways, its very fast (under 2 week turnaround), and they're super nice on the phone. But to be honest, it hardly matters. I can't bring myself to use them while hunting anymore. I can't even use them to work up handloads because did the rifle not like that load? Or is the scope just screwed up yet again? I just need to sell them all and be done with them altogether. I've already dumped the spotter and will probably start listing stuff on the classifieds soon.
Sounds like you really need a Leoupold!

I've owned one Vortex. Could not get rid of it fast enough. No more for me.

SWFA, I've had a bunch and they've all held zero and tracked:
--SWFA fixed 6x and 10x, $300, $250 on black friday
--SWFA 3-9x42 HD, $599, $450 on black friday

Used LRTS and first gen LRHS were @ $600 last year.

It's not that no other scopes track, just a matter of failure rate probability, same for all manufactured items.
To build on your list a little for scopes that are known to track well and offer consistent repeatability.
Meopta scopes are generally well regarded as being durable. I paid $450 for my meopro during a fire sale at EuroOptic. I took a very hard fall with that rifle a few years ago. I had it in my gun-bearer and slipped on ice side hilling. The scope took the brunt of the fall as my hip landed on the scope and I'm 6'3" and 270 lbs. The scope remained fully functional and I checked it at the range the following week, 1/2 moa high.
Similar to the LRTS, I have had several Bushnell elite scopes over the years, they are becoming hard to find now days. Built by Light Optical Works in the same factory as the SWFA scopes and some of the Night force scopes. My latest is an Elite 4500 I paid $300 for. Ive only had that one for a year but so far tracking and zero retention have been good,.I would expect it will perform like the others I had.
As you stated, a guy doesn't have to spend 1k plus, shopping for deals and being a little brand agnostic can yield a quality piece for well under a grand.

Last edited:
I like the dead hold bdc reticle. If anyone has one of these crappy vortex scopes with that reticle they need to get rid of let me know.
Just posted a Viper HS 4-16x50mm with the Dead Hold BDC reticle for sale in the classifieds. Have at it.

I have the 65mm Razor spotter that has been great, and a pair of 8x32 Vipers (now truck binos) same thing, nice glass for the $

I had a Viper HSLR 4-16 scope for a few years, came to find out it was the reason for rifle inaccuracies…..I finally got rid of it. With my experience with Vortex rifle scopes, I wouldn’t try them again, for any price.

After buying my Swaro 10x42s, it would be tough to go back to anything less.

We have all but gotten rid of all our vortex. We are switching to Maven. Better quality, better glass, and main headquarters is literally in my back yard so any issue I have I can walk in and get fixed (so far no issues that require their attention). So far everything maven we have bought is better than vortex.

Everyone's experiences vary greatly, but I've had binos, a rangefinder and 7 riflescopes from Vortex. I still have them all and none have been in for warranty. Mainly from their Razor line, some Vipers too, so maybe that's helping. I've also got Leupold stuff and have used their warranty on two occasions, one good experience and one not good experience. However, I'm certainly a fan of Leupold and recommend them often. There are more optics companies I'm a fan of, than not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back