MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Yet Another Vortex Going in for Warranty

There’s a guy on rokslide that tests scopes. His latest vortex testing didn’t go well. It didn’t even hold zero from a soft 6” drop. Like your gun tipping over when it’s bipoded out. Of course this places beloved leupolds don’t fair to well either during those tests.
Same guy is an expert on Montana mule deer management I think. mtmuley

Randy checked his zero on level ground and it was still on. So no. It was not his Leupold scope. I imagine it was incorrect ballistics correction or canted gun.

Did Steve check his zero on level ground afterward? I dunno. They didn't say. If it was off and they suspected it was the fault of one of their sponsors products then I'm sure they'd leave that part out of the story.
Steve could have had a canted gun too? He left it at a miss. I'm sure he would've elaborated on it if his scope was off zero after the fact. If he talked about it in a podcast, and can't understand how he missed, then my guess is it was still zero'd in. Otherwise he would know why he missed. A scope being knocked off its zero isn't necessarily the scopes fault.

Randy's rifle might have returned to zero, but did it dial up correctly? He missed at 400 yards, not 100. A scope can return to zero just fine, but still track like crap. Randy would leave that out of his bit too if it was the scopes fault.

My point is, to just assume someone missed because of what they're using is ridiculous. The scope and rifle combination will shoot more consistently than you will 9.9/10 times.

Steve could have had a canted gun too? He left it at a miss. I'm sure he would've elaborated on it if his scope was off zero after the fact. If he talked about it in a podcast, and can't understand how he missed, then my guess is it was still zero'd in. Otherwise he would know why he missed. A scope being knocked off its zero isn't necessarily the scopes fault.

Randy's rifle might have returned to zero, but did it dial up correctly? He missed at 400 yards, not 100. A scope can return to zero just fine, but still track like crap. Randy would leave that out of his bit too if it was the scopes fault.

My point is, to just assume someone missed because of what they're using is ridiculous. The scope and rifle combination will shoot more consistently than you will 9.9/10 times.
Every single time I see Randy dial and miss I wonder if it was the dialing or the ranging that caused the miss, or something else. While I have to assume that he has tested those dials at various ranges I still wonder.

Every time I see anyone, on any show, dialing a high powered rifle at under 300yds I cringe a little bit.

I’ve had my share of misses, some of them rather painful/embarrassing but I almost always have some explanation for them. In 2020 I had two on one animal that I still have trouble wrapping my head around. Close. Broadside. Standing still. Makes me sick. I guess it happens.

Obviously it could have been poor marksmanship as well. Clearly my post was not saying the only reason he could have possibly missed is because he was using a Vortex scope. Just a coincidence that is humorous to me and other folks here.

There’s a guy on rokslide that tests scopes. His latest vortex testing didn’t go well. It didn’t even hold zero from a soft 6” drop. Like your gun tipping over when it’s bipoded out. Of course this places beloved leupolds don’t fair to well either during those tests.
Wheres the thread ? Ive tried to find it to no avail ?

He should stick to scopes. And I know Loopy's aren't the best, but mine have been beaten and twisted. mtmuley
There was 1 or 2 things he said that I agreed with. Obviously, him and I could be wrong but I absolutely think shortening seasons will not mean less deer killed. I think success rates for the same number of tags will be nearly identical.

He goes a bit overboard with it, but in general he is right that you can shoot a lot of bucks off a landscape and still get does bred. Dr. Monteith confirms this.
Post in thread 'Montana mule deer Expectations.' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/montana-mule-deer-expectations.311656/post-3344045

Wheres the thread ? Ive tried to find it to no avail ?

There was 1 or 2 things he said that I agreed with. Obviously, him and I could be wrong but I absolutely think shortening seasons will not mean less deer killed. I think success rates for the same number of tags will be nearly identical.

He goes a bit overboard with it, but in general he is right that you can shoot a lot of bucks off a landscape and still get does bred. Dr. Monteith confirms this.
Post in thread 'Montana mule deer Expectations.' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/montana-mule-deer-expectations.311656/post-3344045
Expectations are different. mtmuley

They just got it back from Vortex, with a clean bill of health, so round 2 will apparently happen shortly.......

I didnt see any leupolds tested ?? Lots of reading and bickering on that thread though !

I’m no expert, but when shooting at steep up angles the rear rest becomes critical. Very common to toss the bullet high, such as Randy’s goat hunt, because lack of a good rest at the back.

I would doubt it had anything to do with his CDS. Even if he dialed the 325 distance for line of sight, his actual drop would have been ~200 - 250 yards mas-a-manos… not a huge difference in drop for a 7mmHT between 325 and 200 - at least enough to explain tossing multiple bullets that far over its back.

Rear rest. Haven’t seen the Meat Eater episode, but sounds like the same issue? Shot high with no likely explinatuin? Not the glas, it was the rear rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back