Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Yet Another Vortex Going in for Warranty

I just want a 3-9 or 4-12, x40-x44, that holds zero. I can do without everything else. I don't want need a turret. I don't need to be dialing. I just want to trust it. And I don't mean that most of their scopes hold zero, I mean ALL of them hold zero and will continue to hold zero. Why is that so hard to find?
That's why I have Zeiss on rifle....and binos. Leica RF.
never fell into the Vortex....

Wonderful. Your control group for your opinion is zero!

I was looking into them in 2014 or 15 for a new custom build. Called an old HS buddy for advice. Said buddy is well known in the precision rifle industry and was running the 7th special forces group sniper school at the time. He told me their issued mark 6 scopes were failing consistently and I should avoid them. A little google fu revealed that there were plenty of civilians having the same issues. So you're right, I didn't go and spend $2k on a scope reputable sources indicated was a turd just so I could prove it was a turd personally.

Last edited:
I was looking into them in 2014 or 15 for a new custom build. Called an old HS buddy for advice. Said buddy is well known in the precision rifle industry and was running the 7th special forces group sniper school at the time. He told me their issued mark 6 scopes were failing consistently and I should avoid them. A little google fu revealed that there were plenty of civilians having the same issues. So you're right, I didn't go and spend $2k on a scope reputable sources indicated was a turd just so I could prove it was a turd personally.
Wonderful but your control group is still zero. perhaps you should have mentioned the part about you had no experience but your buddy told you!

I like the dead hold bdc reticle. If anyone has one of these crappy vortex scopes with that reticle they need to get rid of let me know.

I’ve got probably 25-30 other optics that are a mix of Sightron, Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss, and Swaro. I had to send the eyepiece back on the Zeiss spotter. Other than that, not a single issue outside of the Vortex ones in about 25 years of hunting, guiding, and competitive shooting.
So what would you suggest as a good scope for a 308 win mule deer/elk rifle (we're looking to buy our first) assuming I don't plan to take shots over 400yds?

So what would you suggest as a good scope for a 308 win mule deer/elk rifle (we're looking to buy our first) assuming I don't plan to take shots over 400yds?
I’m selling my Vortex’s and getting Sightron STAC’s. You can find them for under $400.

I haven't had a problem with any of my Vortex stuff but have moved to Leupold for most uses. What I don't like about Vortex is all of their higher end scopes have "busy" reticles. I like that I can get a VX-5 with a standard duplex reticle.

The meopta optika 5 is another great scope for around $400. The sightron mentioned is a great scope also.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back