MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Yet Another Vortex Going in for Warranty

Since I don’t think this can get derailed anymore, has anyone here dialed the Nightforce SHV a lot? The 4-16 SHV F1 looks like a lot of scope for the money.

Never used vortex scopes but very similar to 4 out of 5 leupolds my dad and I have owned. All failure to RTZ or hold zero. 80% is an abysmal failure rate.

Since I don’t think this can get derailed anymore, has anyone here dialed the Nightforce SHV a lot? The 4-16 SHV F1 looks like a lot of scope for the money.
Got a 5-20 on my ultramag. Been pretty happy with it overall. Does all I ask of it and have dialed it a decent amount. Mine is a second focal plane though.

Evidence: the vast adoption of leupold's CDS system
I agree. My main problem with it is the whole concept of a custom cut dial: for a specific load, for a specific altitude, for a level shot angle. Sometimes oversimplifying doesn't work. All of my CDS scopes just have the uncut MOA dial on it; just dial to the correction for my specific shot scenario.

Like one of my buddies that lives at 300ft altitude in Alabama. His custom cut dial isn't even close shooting at 11,000ft in Colorado, much less when you compound that with an uphill/downhill shot angle.

My elk hunting partner has one on a 300 win mag. He's had good luck with it, and dialed it a fair bit.

I've an ATACR and its a great scope. Only thing I could possibly say bad about NF is that they have a very tight eye box compared to some other manufacturers. Not a issue really just something to get used to.

The SHV are a great scope especially for the price. The RTZ and dialing is excellent. Some models don’t have a zero stop but can easily make one for it also. I’d take one over any Vortex product!

Be nice if Nightforce offered a better selection of scopes in the 42 to 44 mm objective size. And a clean duplex reticle. mtmuley
Yep! If they offered the force plex in more scopes and with a 44mm. Im sure they would sell quite a few.

Let's see I own an old ass weaver, an old Bushnell, a couple Vortex, one leupold, and one Redfield. The two old ones are the only ones that hold zero year to year. But Vortex is the only ones that have gone in for warranty
The newer Japanese Weavers with Micro-Trac tracked and held just as well as the old ones in my experience. Sightrons with Exac-Trac do as well. If it’s not the exact same system, then it’s close enough. The Japanese scopes with Micro-Trac appear to use a slightly different system than the El Paso scopes, but they seem to function quite well.

The box and the website for sure.

On the El Paso Weavers they generally always said so right on the scope or they didn’t have Micro-Trac. All T-Series had it, so if a T-Series doesn’t say so, it’s still Micro-Trac.

All Sightron S-II, SIII and S-Tac scopes that I’m aware of have/had it, even the ones made in the Philippines.

For the Japanese Weavers, all T-Series scopes had it, and most if not all Grand Slam scopes had it(but double check that). In spite of being practically the same scopes as an SII that I believe came from the same factory, the Classic V-Series did not have Micro-Trac, or at least the later ones didn’t. I love the Classic K-Series of the Japanese Weavers for their glass and price point, but they didn’t have Micro-Trac. While the ones I had held zero perfectly well once they settled in, they didn’t dial exactly where expected, and often took a shot or two to move as far as they were going to after an adjustment.

Sightron scopes are underrated and overlooked. mtmuley
As much as I agree, I’m very disappointed that their SIs are no longer made in Japan, and that they discontinued their SIIs. The SIIIs, while manageable on a hunting rifle, are definitely a little bigger than I’d prefer. Probably the most annoying thing about Sightron is that all of the FFP scopes have exposed turrets with no lock. Well, if I’m gonna dial, then why do I need reticle in the FFP? If I’m gonna use my reticle for holding, why do I need my turrets exposed?

It seems Leupold has gone down the same path though, with their higher end, high powered scopes being just about as large, and heavy and side focus instead of A/O. Not only does the extra lens for the side focus add weight, but it reduces light transmission. At least they have the new locking turrets.

Sightron scopes are underrated and overlooked. mtmuley
I agree. They have a good presence in competitive shooting but get overlooked by hunters. Just bad marketing? Sightron is generally what I’m going to on budget scopes as I get rid of my Vortex’s.

I have had Binoculars,spotting scope and rifle scope, I like the binos, got rid of the others. Not impressed and I will never buy another vortex rifle scope. My buddies had a similar experience with vortex rifle scope(bad) we all decided never again on the vortex scopes. 4 of us bought them together because we got a “deal” from another guy we all know. But hey I like the binoculars for the price I paid.

I personally think we put way too much stock in warranties. I don't under any circumstances want to have to use the warranty.
If I have 5-7 days to hunt halfway across the country, and I have an issue that requires warranty work, that's a really big problem.
I probably just jinxed myself.....:)
Use enough different products for long enough and chances are sooner or later your gonna need the warrantee!

It seems Leupold has gone down the same path though, with their higher end, high powered scopes being just about as large, and heavy and side focus instead of A/O. Not only does the extra lens for the side focus add weight, but it reduces light transmission. At least they have the new locking turrets.
Side focus is another thing I can do without. mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back