x9a(CA) backpack

csutton7

well my buddy Max and I backpacked into an area on Friday--- I was given info about this area, so we went for it. We went in 2.5 miles set up camp right at the edge in the wilderness area and went for a little sight seeing afternoon hunt---looked like awesome country, there were tons of lakes, plenty of food and haunts for deer to hang out---saw nothing, no sign, except some very old droppings---we glassed until dark and got back to camp---figured in the morning we would go out and cover more ground----it snowed during the night, we were at 10,000 feet, so we felt pretty good when we took off---we covered pretty much the whole area, weaving about staying in the trees as much as possible, but we came up empty---no tracks or anything---I did spot 4 deer across a canyon 1100yds away, but they were 3 does and a fawn and nothing else---didn't make sense to cross over to look at something I couldn't shoot--they were at 10,600 and so were we, but of course separated by canyon----we moved on and glassed across another canyon, but nothing---so we decided to just pack up and leave----it didn't make sense to stay in our eyes--if we'd seen a buck or more does we would've stayed, but it looked dismal----the area really isn't that hard to hunt eventhough we were fairly high and I think with all the trails available and people hiking thru-out the summer the deer only use the area in spring time or early summer----anyway we came back and hopefully scored points with the family to go out again-----it was great to be out in the mtns though, just wish we would've seen more animals----hi-light was we saw a very good bear in Yosemite about 50yds off the highway--probably a 400lb bear if not more---bummer I didn't get pics, but the camera was in my pack in the back of the truck locked up and by the time we got turned around he(I'm guessing boar cuz no cubs and his size) was moving off---next hunting trip on the docket is Montana in mid NOV---but I'm going to try and get out again for either a blacktail or back up to x9a --we will see .....chris

You were lucky drawing that zone.
10Kft is kinda high, even for August bow season. Did you see any Grouse or Mtn Quail?
Were you in Aspens, Junipers or Lodgepoles? That's "DonnerParty" early for snow,
but ANY couple days in the Sierra High Country is a Gift from Above!
Spend a few more days and bring a shotgun and fishing rig (Brookies, Cuttthroats, and maybe Goldens)

we didn't see any grouse or quail---the peaks around us were between 11,200-12,000 ft---we were in some junipers, but there were only spots here and there, but plenty enough for deer cover and there was no lack of water---we left the fishing poles at the truck, which was dumb as that's the one thing we did see plenty of trout in a stream between two lakes---but like you said anyday in the mtns is a great day and for that it was great----chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back