X bolt trigger.

PlusFive

I have an xbolt in 270 that I love. It shoots really well. Like, scary well for a stock factory rifle. Anyway the one disappointment on the gun is the trigger pull. its rigjt around 4.8 to 5 lbs. Too heavy. I end up wondering when the $#@% is this trigger going to break then it does. It does not surprise me in a good way like my Tikka 7mm mag does. I took the bottom metal off to adjust the screw to lighten up the trigger and found that the set screw was covered in a red loctite type substance that was all over and I couldnt chip it out to turn the screw. Anyone know what this red stuff is about?

Id give Browning a call. I did not have that on mine and my trigger pull was about 3lbs. It was very light. I don't put my finger on until I know I'm going to shoot. I can't imagine that they put loctite on that screw. Maybe a grease or wax?

Use a heat gun to melt the glue away. Jard is the only manufacturer that currently makes a replacement trigger and they are expensive.
You can disassemble the trigger and find a spring the same diameter and length but lighter compression and wire size. Also stoning the contacts helps a lot. Your local gunsmith should be able to help you out.

Last edited:
It is there for a reason, it shows that once removed the trigger has been altered from its factory setting (way to heavy!) and should an accident occur due to accidental discharge (by lightening the trigger pull) Browning are not liable.
I know this because i had the same issue, i just kind of prized off the red stuff with a thin bladed screwdriver and altered it, once done you will find it has a lovely crisp trigger.
Cheers
Richard

I wouldn't advise to do any alteration to your trigger if you don't have experience, gunsmith would charge you about $50 to adjust the trigger and he usually knows what he is doing.

It is there for a reason, it shows that once removed the trigger has been altered from its factory setting (way to heavy!) and should an accident occur due to accidental discharge (by lightening the trigger pull) Browning are not liable.
I know this because i had the same issue, i just kind of prized off the red stuff with a thin bladed screwdriver and altered it, once done you will find it has a lovely crisp trigger.
Cheers
Richard

yup. I just took the whole screw out on my browning. I'm just a bit over 3 lbs.

Thanks for the reply folks. I think I will just have a smith take care of it. I enjoy doing my own work, but sometimes I wonder how well I actually do it haha.

Timney triggers are in the works. I was told this upcoming shot show for release, can't wait. For now I removed the red tread locker and worked the screw in and out and seemed to "work" the spring a little. just under 3 pounds now.

Timney triggers are in the works. I was told this upcoming shot show for release, can't wait. For now I removed the red tread locker and worked the screw in and out and seemed to "work" the spring a little. just under 3 pounds now.

What kind of price can we expect for a Timney trigger for the X-Bolt? I love my new X-Bolt but don't love the trigger. It probably is a good trigger, but I have been shooting a Timney for about 15 years, so I'm not really liking it. My gunsmith said he could mess with the Browning trigger and make it better and I think erniethegunsmith.com makes a replacement spring that can make the Browning trigger better, but I would rather install a Timney, when it is available.

Anyone installed the mcarbo spring into their hells canyon xbolt? I followed their instructions and removed the old spring which was still shooting heavy even though I loosened it as much as possible. I then installed their spring but suddenly I can only pull the trigger if I set the safety when I cycle the bolt, I.e. if I leave the safety off and cycle the bolt I cannot pull the trigger, almost as if I have the spring screwed all the way down. I don’t understand what happened. I have already put in a call to mcarbo and Browning, but wonder if anyone has dealt with this issue until I hear back after Memorial Day.

Browning X-bolts come with a adjustable 3-5 lbs trigger

Scratch off the red stuff.

I don’t remember what size Allen but I remember it’s metric .

Clockwise heavyer trigger
Counterclockwise lighter trigger.

The red stuff is not a problem comes from the factory that way as some here have already stated.

Isn’t the X bolt trigger adjustable? I haven’t needed to adjust mine as both guns have crisp triggers at the right pull from the factory for me.

Isn’t the X bolt trigger adjustable? I haven’t needed to adjust mine as both guns have crisp triggers at the right pull from the factory for me.

You are both correct that they are adjustable, and I already did that but wanted to get down to 2 lbs, which is what my other triggers are at. Long story short, the Browning trigger spring is larger than the adjustment screw opening (2 mm I think) so you have to pull it out the bottom and it gets ruined in the process. I don’t mind that since I put in a new spring, but once I did that it only allows me to pull the trigger if I put it on safety when I cycle the bolt. I should be able to cycle the bolt with the safety off and pull the trigger each time like normal.

Installed the mcarbo trigger spring in my stainless stalker. Kind of a pain, but did lighten up the trigger quite a bit. Overall I'm happy with it, especially since it's minimal cost .

Talked to mcarbo and figured it out. Had to engage the spring more. I had it too “light”. Much better fix than a $200 Timney.

My Hells Canyon 6.5 CM came off the shelf with a trigger pull over 5 lbs. I chipped off that red locktite and adjusted it down to about 3 lbs. GoHunt did a video on adjusting that trigger -

I own an X-bolt as well, I'm happy with the trigger on it and have left it alone. Maybe someone at the factory was a little heavy handed with applying the Loc-tite on the set screw when building yours?

I own an X-bolt as well, I'm happy with the trigger on it and have left it alone. Maybe someone at the factory was a little heavy handed with applying the Loc-tite on the set screw when building yours?

I think it has more to do with the fact I put Triggertech triggers on the past couple rifles and now I am spoiled!

Talked to mcarbo and figured it out. Had to engage the spring more. I had it too “light”. Much better fix than a $200 Timney.

mine is doing the exact same thing. When I run the set screw in deeper I end up w a 7# pull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back