Wyoming, Who lives there in this Forum?

I think you'll find any commute in Wyoming gets old fast. Winter driving is not for the faint of heart.
We live in Laramie, college town but close to NF and mountains. I would try to find a job close to a decent sized town so you don't have to rely on another town for basic needs. Traveling just to shop for necessities also gets old fast.

No, that was not included in the criteria. However, that is at the top of my list, that is why I live in WY.

ClearCreek
I see! No location info in you profile. Didn't realizing what you were doing. Sorry I "spooked the hole".

One of these years I'll be making the move.My wife is all for it and the kids.It's just hard giving up 6 figure business to go start somewhere new.I was looking more towards Wheatland so I'm within an hour of Casper,Cheyenne,Laramie

One of these years I'll be making the move.My wife is all for it and the kids.It's just hard giving up 6 figure business to go start somewhere new.I was looking more towards Wheatland so I'm within an hour of Casper,Cheyenne,Laramie

We are in the same boat. I make pretty good money where I am at but I am not happy in the job I have and I cannot see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

My wife & I moved to Sublette County in May (after looking at it for 3-4 years). Like SnowyMountaineer said, pro's and con's both outstanding. Pros outweigh in my opinion.

TheDudeAbides mentions the 8 months of winter, but keep in mind there are great outdoor opportunities during that time too! (ice fishing & snowmobiling!)

PM sent

My commute is 45-60 minutes both ways every day as it is. While the job in Jackson has somewhat been taken off the table, there is another opportunity in Sublette County that may be available. Did you have to make that commute in the past Rancho?

Clear weather commuting is one thing, winter commuting is another. I will say I just walked away from a position where I was driving around 3 hours a day - shorter in nice weather, longer in crappy. I came to the realization that even though I was making shit tons of money, I had a lot better things to do here in Montana for those 3 hours a day.

My family, wife and 4 year old son, and I moved to Worland about a year and a half ago. This has been the best year for my life. Family has been fishing, camping every weekend and started learning how to cross country ski last winter. This is my first year with a pocket full or resident tags.

We moved from Flagstaff AZ, which the year we moved was listed as the 15th best town in the country to live. It was a "cute" town but we were miserable there. To many people, tourists, crowds. Just alot of stuff that you don't need. I couldn't imagine living in CA.

The opportunities here seem limitless and the town is great. We had cars stop on the street and people get out to talk to us because we were the new people in town. We had more friends in a few months of living here that we did after 5 years in AZ.

We went up to Pinedale last week and absolutely love the town. We walked around Pine street and did not find a single person walking around on their phone. Went to dinner at the Wind River Brewery and people were actually talking to each other and not on their phones. We felt right at home there. Hopefully this job comes through and we can move up in the next 3-6 months.

i plan on going up to Laramie for college but i haven't made any commitments as of now so im kind of curious as to why you hated it so much.

that is good to hear. i plan on going up for college next fall (Laramie). coming from scottsdale where everyone is a stuck up prick spending daddys money on every little gadget they can get their hands on really has me fed up. i originally wanted to go to asu (just like all of my other friends that are going into business) but i decided that ive had enough with people in general so wyoming will be a good "escape" so to say.

Wyoming has been great for me and my family, we moved to Cheyenne several years ago and we like here so much that I think I'm going to pass on a job opportunity in Montana and just plant roots here in Wyo. The winters are long, but like others have mentioned, look at the recreational aspect of all seasons. Since winter is the longest season here I'll lay it out from my experience from there:
Winter: Ice fishing in dozens of lakes for any species you want, skiing near or far in some of the best in the country, cross county skiing, busting out the snow machines, and ice rinks for the kids.
Spring: Bear season (baiting is legal here), turkey season, everything is defrosting so no need to water the lawn.
Summer: Fishing is great to include miracle mile, the reef and so on, trap league is amazing and every Wednesday night here, water sports (skiing, boating, swimming, wake boarding, not to mention Glendo has a huge sandy beach for the kids), hikes, Yellowstone, the tetons, camping, riding the sand dunes in Colorado just across the border, and so on.
Fall: Screaming elk, rutting antelope, mule deer, whitetails, upland birds, migratory birds and more.
Public land is plentiful, there is so much to do here it's a shame that the days aren't longer and gas wasn't cheaper. There's also jobs and some really good ones besides Jackson, Jackson is nice, but inflated on all accounts. I don't recall who said it on a recent podcast, but it stuck with me and it's a game changer of a quote, "I truly believe that the outdoors in Wyoming is what kept my family together." For a guy who left the nest at a young age seeking adventure via the military, I've found where I need to be and found a place that gives me the best chance to lead the life I want and to keep my family intact with the things we love to do. Cheyenne wasn't my first choice in Wyo, but it's worked out to be the best. Proximity to everything is nice. But anyways, good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Wyoming has been great for me and my family, we moved to Cheyenne several years ago and we like here so much that I think I'm going to pass on a job opportunity in Montana and just plant roots here in Wyo. The winters are long, but like others have mentioned, look at the recreational aspect of all seasons. Since winter is the longest season here I'll lay it out from my experience from there:
Winter: Ice fishing in dozens of lakes for any species you want, skiing near or far in some of the best in the country, cross county skiing, busting out the snow machines, and ice rinks for the kids.
Spring: Bear season (baiting is legal here), turkey season, everything is defrosting so no need to water the lawn.
Summer: Fishing is great to include miracle mile, the reef and so on, trap league is amazing and every Wednesday night here, water sports (skiing, boating, swimming, wake boarding, not to mention Glendo has a huge sandy beach for the kids), hikes, Yellowstone, the tetons, camping, riding the sand dunes in Colorado just across the border, and so on.
Fall: Screaming elk, rutting antelope, mule deer, whitetails, upland birds, migratory birds and more.
Public land is plentiful, there is so much to do here it's a shame that the days aren't longer and gas wasn't cheaper. There's also jobs and some really good ones besides Jackson, Jackson is nice, but inflated on all accounts. I don't recall who said it on a recent podcast, but it stuck with me and it's a game changer of a quote, "I truly believe that the outdoors in Wyoming is what kept my family together." For a guy who left the nest at a young age seeking adventure via the military, I've found where I need to be and found a place that gives me the best chance to lead the life I want and to keep my family intact with the things we love to do. Cheyenne wasn't my first choice in Wyo, but it's worked out to be the best. Proximity to everything is nice. But anyways, good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks JL. I feel as if with everything that is going on in the world now, making my families life a little more simple is the way to go. Getting outdoors and doing things together. Living and working in an expensive place is taking a toll on my family life. I work 55+ hours a week with a commute, High mortgage and tax rate on both state and property hits us even harder. Thank you for the input.

My family and I love it here. I grew up in the Flathead Valley of Montana and my wife is from Bend OR. Many people have asked us why we would leave such incredible places to live in WY, but that is exactly why, people have heard of these incredible places and they had become way too crowded and "cool" for us. If you enjoy solitude and the outdoors I can't think of a better place than here. Yes the elements are harsh, the wind can blow with almost comical consistency and winter does last a long time but I kinda like that. If you already have a job lined up then you are already a step ahead, we are in the medical field which seems to be one of the few stable industries around here. I wouldn't call Jackson a good representation of WY, my impression of it was a playground for the super wealthy and those trying to scrape by to live there. Definitely not the close knit community that most wyoming towns seem to have. Keeping hunting partners here can be a challenge, it seems like as many new people who move here an equal number leave. Like I said, I love it here, but it certainly is not for everyone. That's my take on living here.

And yet another wanting to move to WY.
Living in central PA.
Jobs are crap and our taxes are skyrocketing! My property tax just doubled this year.

Finding 35+ acres near Medicine Bow. Price is about half of what a lot (25'X100') is here.
Trying to talk wife into it.

Have you been to Medicine Bow? Not my choice of towns. Land is going up around the state every day. I hate to say it but Rocky Mountain Timberlands has some better parcels for sale on a "ranch" next door to where we manage . Winters are tough out of town though.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back