Wyoming Veteran HT Elk camp 2020

Depending on when/where this hunt happens I may help out. As I am a Vet myself. I have my Pack Goats that are willing to work for free 😜
Matt

Matt, I am hoping that if this goes good we could try our hand at Idaho in the future. They have a very good program as well where we can buy tags at resident prices. As a NR it moves your state to the top of the application list.

Are you looking strictly at an elk hunt, or is antelope on the table? Antelope would be easier for all involved. I would definitely donate a doe antelope permit, or two.

Well, it seems I need to amend my previous response. In conversations yesterday with the group that invited us to join they strongly suggested we try and get antelope tags as well. It is Unit 93 and the odds even on doe tags are abysmal for NR. So, yes now we are open to Antelope tags. If a Resident wants to try and pull one in the draw for us, we would be grateful.

93 is 34% for resident bucks and 12% for does.

Last edited:
I'll give one a shot. I can actually afford a nr doe tag 🤣

While that is greatly appreciated, I would ask that this be left for Residents. If we don’t get one that is perfectly Ok as it wasn’t originally planned for. There is only 2.4% odds for us NR as there are only 5 type 6 doe tags.

Instead of paying the interest rate and processing fees for such small % I will be donating that tag cost to Hunt with Heros. They can use it to facilitate a hunt for other Vets at the Antelope camp they host.

Last edited:
I am a disabled vet that lives in Wyoming.

Best of luck with this. I’m already tied up for 2020 taking other disabled persons hunting.

If we pull this off this year and there is good feedback from everyone I will definitely try and put it on again. I would love to see you take a elk with a wheel gun or hand cannon!

I talked with the Vet today that needed a Party app to get a screen shot of his points. Unfortunately, it appears he forgot to buy a elk point last year and just bought a antelope. I don't want to endanger anyone's application from not being 100%. Sorry for the confusion, I should of physically checked before posting for help. That post has been deleted.

Just wanted to bring this up to the surface. June is rapidly approaching were we can start locking in the Vets for the hunt. If you or a family member are willing to help with donating a general Elk tag please shoot me a PM. We have 3 of the 4 tags potentially donated. I have been keeping in contact with the sportsman’s group and that portion is shaping up nicely. Sam has been awesome to work with so far. This is shaping up to be a very positive event given all the negative we have been facing lately with Covid restrictions.

I just wanted to give a public Thankyou to Nick over at Straight Jacket Armory. He took a bunch of parts I had compiled and built a beautiful Rem 700 in 300 Sherman. When he found out what this rifle was for he sent it out for some extra bells and whistles on his companies dime. He wanted to ensure I have a good elk rifle for this hunt. He also very generously pledged the rest of the tags we needed to pull this off.

It’s a rare occurrence that you find companies who care more about their clients and their success over the almighty dollar. If your looking for a Gun Smith, please give him consideration. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Well this hunt is really shaping up. We got the chance to meet our Camp host via Zoom the other day. A lot of good information was talked about. This is staying a mostly DIY public land hunt. They are going to help us with the lay of the land but the actual hunt we are on our own. Most everyone was excited to hear that and there would be a actual horse and mule in camp to pack out anything we might shoot. Cushman even agreed to kiss it if he didn’t have to pack one out on his back.

Today we all found out we drew antelope doe tags. 100% draw in the group at 51% odds. It’s nice knowing everyone will have some opportunities for some tasty table fare even if the elk don’t cooperate.

If you get this done and scheduale/location allows i may swing by to drink a beverage with ya.

Whoever is organizing this pm me if i can help

Last edited:
Back