Wyoming Unit 26 Advice

RGlasgow

This is my first post but I have been a long time follower of all the valuable info available on this site. First of all thank you all for the help you have unknowingly provided me in the past. So I know area 26 has a lot of private land. However, that happens to be the area my brother drew. I was stationed at FE Warren AFB and hunted area 46 a couple of times. My brother is stationed out at Fort Bragg, NC and is coming out for a hunt the last weekend of the season. I would really like to put him on an antelope. Not looking for a trophy by any means but something average would be great. I know unit 26 is going to be an uphill battle. I am in the process of calling landowners which I know will be a long shot and also have spent some time looking at the limited public land. I am looking advice any of you may be willing to share from past experiences.

PM me and I think that I can help with public and private. Someone on this board was nice enough to get me started on antelope in Wyoming so I'll pay it back.

good luck to all
the dog

26 is a good road hunting unit IMO. There are a few places to get off the road but much of it can be covered by simply glassing from the truck. I've don'e a few hunts in the area and always managed to turn up a few bucks on public land each day. I usualy throw the landowner chip in the GPS in my truck and just pay attention for every little peice of public land that is accessible from the road. I like the bigger screen and since you can't really get that far off the road the battery in it works fine. The Boner brothers (Local Ranchers) have marked some state land with no trespassing signs. Just use your gps and you won't have a problem. Don't be afraid to pull right off the highway and crawl through the fence to get a shot. Sometimes you will catch antelope crossing through small pieces of accessible land so geting used to looking at the gps and judging how far property lines (sometiems fence lines) are. There are some places in that unit where property corners are sometimes just a lone fence post. There are quite a few large outfitters who operate in that area like Wagonhound and Table Mountain so it's pretty leased up by outfitters. I think they use it as a backup for people who don't draw tags in thier better areas. There is also a large sheep ranching outfit that will allow hunting but I think they are pretty expensive, something like a grand. I don't remember thier name for some reason, you will notice thier fences are different. Your timing should be good as most of the pressure is done after the first 3-4 days of the season. There is quite a bit of public land blocked by the railroad as well but there are a few places where you can legally cross.

I can't beleive he had to draw that tag as it used to have tons of leftovers avaialble through the season. Things might have changed as it's been a couple of years since I've been out there.

Good luck on your hunt and make sure to come back with a story and lots of pics.

I drew this as a second choice this year. It seems like point creep really got me. If I find any info I will keep you in the loop. We are probably going to wait until the second or third week of the season to head up. I think OnX is going to be vital.

I drew this as a second choice this year. It seems like point creep really got me. If I find any info I will keep you in the loop. We are probably going to wait until the second or third week of the season to head up. I think OnX is going to be vital.

You'll definitely need good maps and GPS equipment to find the limited legally accessible public land in 26 and that's why you drew it as a second choice.

I also drew unit 26, but that was my plan as a second choice. I'm aware of the limited public access based on my research via OnX, but the success rate is very encouraging, so how can this be? Are there a lot of folks going via private access through outfitters? Also, I am planning to camp on BLM land. Are there any restrictions or challenges I should be aware of?

I also drew unit 26, but that was my plan as a second choice. I'm aware of the limited public access based on my research via OnX, but the success rate is very encouraging, so how can this be? Are there a lot of folks going via private access through outfitters? Also, I am planning to camp on BLM land. Are there any restrictions or challenges I should be aware of?

Success is generally high in a unit that is predominantly private land like 26 with access allowed by the land owners themselves or outfitters that have the ranches leased. You can camp pretty much anywhere within reason on BLM land unless you see a restrictive sign, of which there are very few if any. No camping or fires on state land though.

T Chris, I will keep you in the loop with anything I find out, if you would like that.

Thanks all for the help and advice also.

Jim, that would be great. I plan to go the first week of season so I would be happy to pass along a report of my experience.

I have a doe tag for that area as well. I would check out the Maps on Wyoming fishing game Hunt planner they have the county roads on there. If you check out Converse County website they also have a county road map on there.

I have a doe tag for that area as well. I would check out the Maps on Wyoming fishing game Hunt planner they have the county roads on there. If you check out Converse County website they also have a county road map on there.

If you check out the county road map you'll see plenty of accessible land along the roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back