Wyoming Unit 24 WIA Blues.....

dannyb278

Just got back from my Wyoming Antlope hunt in Unit 24. WE hunted on leftover tags, after failing to draw for our preferred units. While it was a good trip, I am kind of bummed. We must have seen upwards of 500 antelope in 5 days, and only 5 on public land that we could access. While I expected difficult access to the public land, I was shocked on how much ended up being completely land locked, I would say 70 percent at least. 1 of 2 walk in areas had also been taken out of the program. In the end we spent the majority of the week driving back and forth between a few 1x1 mile state sections, hoping we would see antelope. We did, but were never able to close the deal. I got within 400 yards of a real nice buck, but couldn’t quite get close enough to make the shot.

What REALLY bummed be out was the shape of the exiting WIA along the Belle Fouche River. It is essentially 1 mile north south x 5 miles east west. This was the location of my failed stalk. Two things were SO frustrating about this area. First, with the VERY limited public hunting opportunities in this unit, the state allows free grazing cattle in the WIA. It was almost impossible to move around without spooking cattle or trying to make a shot without cattle in the background.

What was even more frustrating was the 6 strand barbwire fence the adjacent landowner had running the length of the WIA. Every morning for 3 days my dad and I hiked the mile into the back of the unit and set up along a draw leading from private to the public. Every morning at least 8 antelope would come down out of private and gather along the fence, but fail to find a way to cross. I even watched a lone doe stand, looking forlornly through the gate towards the river, but never find a way to get to water. Farther down the fence we spotted the remains of an antelope that had tried to get across, only to get tangled up in the wire and die of exposure, coyotes, etc. This just really pissed me off. 6 strand fence is WAY more than one needs to keep cattle in/out, the only purpose is to keep the wildlife in.

So we came home empty handed. That’s okay, that’s why it called hunting, not shooting. We definitely plan to be back in Wyoming next year, hopefully in a unit that has more access.

I feel your pain hunted that area last year with some friends, 1 doe for 4 guys pretty pitiful. I guess the days of lots of leftovers are gone. I applied and got my 2 doe tags for another area and friend and I were lucky, this time there was plenty of WIA's but hard to find any antelope on them or anywhere else for that matter.

It sounds like my first trip to Wyoming 20 years ago. Use the info you got from this trip to plan out your next trip a little better. Buy preference points while you can they come in handy. It takes a couple trips to get things figured out but it's worth it in the long run.

Congrats on your success. I'm not saying it's impossible, just sharing the experience I had. Thanks for sharing.

For sure takes some getting used to. First day driving around looking over different places. Then making plans and this unit was more difficult than my last year's unit. And that was my first trip to wyoming. Like you I bought him a leftover tag about a month ago

I'm glad you guys found success. That's a nice goat. Definitely not the easiest area to hunt in

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back