Wyoming unit 22. First western hunt ever!

WY 22 was my first western hunt as well. Some good advice above.

#1 is get the chip. If you already have it on your phone, that will work. If you're worried about battery life, get a portable charger. Most antelope hunts aren't really backcountry IMO, so you'll likely be around your truck for at least a part of the day where you could charge it. Or charge it at night. I think using the phone is entirely do-able. It's what I did my first hunt as well. Worked out perfectly.

#2 expect to see a ton of people - I'm from the east also, where I don't typically see people that much (mostly treestand stuff). I couldn't believe the people there. I legit could not find an area to hunt without someone already there. I just wanted to find a spot that I could 'get away', which was really difficult. I ended up hiking it about 3 miles, only to come across a truck driving an ATV road. There will be people - lots of people. I don't have enough experience to confirm this, but I believe they're on public lands those first few days until they start to get blasted. Then a lot flee to private, although there will still be some on public lands. As the season goes on, the people leave. That same year I went back the last couple days of the season and had the place to myself. Saw 1 other hunter. Had to check the regs again to make sure I didn't miss something. There were more antelope on public at that point, I suspect because pressure dropped.

#3 - Do NOT underestimate their eyesight...it is incredible. 22 is fairly broken country, so use the terrain to your advantage. You shouldn't have issues getting within 300 yards there.

#4 - Get confident out to 300+ and get a rangefinder you can trust. Something I wish I would've done. Obviously the shots are typically a lot further than what we see back east. And you will not be able to accurately estimate yardage. Everything seems closer than it is. Although, again, in that country you shouldn't have issues getting closer. But it's nice to have that insurance policy going in.

#5 - Antelope aren't hard to find. When I first went and wasn't seeing any, I started to question myself and thought I was just missing them. But they stand out like crazy. If you hike or ride around and aren't seeing any, try somewhere else (obviously). Probably self-explantory, but would've saved me a day or 2 of trying to find them where they just weren't.

You should have a good hunt. You could consider the trespass fee, but it's not necessary. Keep at it and you'll figure the goats out. And if you search/work hard enough you can eventually find a spot that has a lot fewer (you'll rarely be alone) hunters. Good luck and enjoy it! No doubt the funnest hunts I've ever been on. You'll be planning trip 2 before you even leave!

Last edited:
All of the above info is great. Can't say enough about the GPS with chip. Like someone said more important than your gun. I spent the money and got a Garmin Montana. Love the big screen. Try Amazon.
Another piece of advice I haven't read yet is if you are going to hike way in bring a good pack frame with game bags. That way if you shoot a buck 3 miles out from the truck you debone the meat right there. You don't want to shoot a buck and then have to hike back to the truck to get the pack frame and then hike back to the kill site. Be ready. If you feel the pack gets in the way. Take it off and lay it down when you begin to sneek up on a lope.
Good luck.

I live in gillette wyoming. I have family that owns a lot of land in 22 and I might be able to help with your hunt. Feel free to private message me.

A.Maxwell how did this end up? A buddy of mine and I are looking to try 'lopes for the first time and looked at this unit. This thread has me a little concerned about the hunting pressure. But I think hitting it late in the season might be our approach. It works well for deer here in WA to reduce the crowds.

I hunted there this past October.
Only had doe tags to try it out.had no trouble finding does, but only saw two bucks anywhere in the BLM. They weren't very good bucks either.
I wouldn't put in for a buck tag in 22. Didn't see many deer either.
Plenty of Antelope does we're running around.

I live in gillette wyoming. I have family that owns a lot of land in 22 and I might be able to help with your hunt. Feel free to private message me.
Hauber307 I saw a reply to a post reference Antelope area 22 on Wyoming. It indicated you may have some access to private land. I was hoping you will see this message and maybe work something out. I’ve got tags for 22. I think I’ve got my ducks in a row for public but a back up plan wouldn’t be a bad idea. Hope to hear from you. Thanks

Hauber307 I saw a reply to a post reference Antelope area 22 on Wyoming. It indicated you may have some access to private land. I was hoping you will see this message and maybe work something out. I’ve got tags for 22. I think I’ve got my ducks in a row for public but a back up plan wouldn’t be a bad idea. Hope to hear from you. Thanks
Look at the dates before posting. That user hasn’t been on since 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back