Caribou Gear

WYoming unit 13 south of Encampment, north of Colorado

Apparition

Anyone have any information on the amount of hunting pressure this area gets in archery season, thinking of the area around the east fork of the encampment river.

I have been in the unit next door unit 21 lots of camps near roads but once back in 1 half mile it is like you have the whole place to yourself

I haven't hunted it, but I have a buddy who hunts it every other year or so with a bow, and they have done pretty good. Just like everything else, once you get a mile or so from a road you should have plenty of nice country and elk all to your self.

Fair amount of pressure; pretty similar to 21. Get back in the rougher country down against state border and the pressure gets less. No matter where you are it is no where near as bad as PA.

I like the area ,good access and good elk population,never hunted 13 but have other units near there .Hope to be there this next fall come first of September.Allow at least 10 days for hunting if possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys!! We are looking at 8 maybe 9 days, thats about all I can do with work before things get out of control. I do like that fact that we could drive there in 25 hours. Leave here at noon, drive straight through, throw our packs on our backs and be a mile or so in and have camp set up before dark, heck might be able to get a couple of hours of hunting in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys!! We are looking at 8 maybe 9 days, thats about all I can do with work before things get out of control. I do like that fact that we could drive there in 25 hours. Leave here at noon, drive straight through, throw our packs on our backs and be a mile or so in and have camp set up before dark, heck might be able to get a couple of hours of hunting in.

Ha! Indiana doesn't seem so bad hearing that..

I hunted a neighboring unit last year, on elk and deer opener (rifle). Saw good numbers of elk, and like the others said, nobody else off the road. Lots of guys running the roads though. Moose were everywhere. My area was pretty thick country, but fun hunting if you don't mind bumping a lot of elk before one finally poses up pretty for a shot.

Drove straight thru one time for antelope and was dead the next day.I suggest breaking up the drive.I will NEVER drive straight thru again;plus its dangerous.I make it to Omaha then sleep for 6 hrs and hit road early with good sleep.I'm at the hunting area before lunch and ready to hunt properly.

We did 30 plus hours last year, I drove to South Dakota while Deb was taking catnaps off and on for 17 hours. She took over driving and I racked out for 4 hours in the back seat (a crew cab truck with only 2 people is awesome) , and then got up and finished the trip. While I wouldnt say we were fresh, we were fresh enough to put a mile or so in. Its funny how charged up you are on the way out. Now on the way back we stopped in Minnesota, napped for 2 hours, and then stopped again in Ohio for the night, I swear the trip back is at least 1000 miles longer than the trip out.

NM and AZ are 26+ hrs of seat time for me. I leave by 9 am and I'm hunting the next afternoon. Takes about 2 locator bugles to get fully recharged.

I'm flying from New Zealand for my Wyoming elk hunt. I'm too scared to check the hours I'll be travelling :eek:

I'm flying from New Zealand for my Wyoming elk hunt. I'm too scared to check the hours I'll be travelling :eek:
Wait.....what? arnt there tons apon tons of elk, red stag and a host of other animals to hunt on New Zealand?

I think thats like a 14 plus hour flight :W: Which is the reason I havent been there to hunt.

I get to see those mountains every morning when I wake up. It really sucks............. :rolleyes: I might be 30 minutes if I was pushing it before I was hunting.
Hopefully you'll have a great trip to Wyoming and deflate a couple bulls.
-Cade

Think New Zealand is 20+ hours from Pa apparition.It took me 15 to Africa and NZ is a lot further

That sounds like an awesome adventure. I'd like to do the reverse sometime in the next few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back