Caribou Gear

Wyoming State Ground Question

Dinkshooter

Is all the state owned property in Wyoming considered public? I was up there 2 weeks ago looking over my elk unit and I saw alot of it that was.

Big change for me coming from Colorado where is it pretty much private in the majority of places.

Its all public ground, you just have to get to it through a public easement. If a piece of state is landlocked by private you need permission to cross private to get to the state.

wyoming state land

be carefull on this one. check with the county office of which the state land lies within.because there is alot of land trading every year and some could now be private.
also state land cannot be camp on or you cannot build a camp fire on it.
good luck and good hunting!

The state of Wyoming is doing a good job recently of posting state lands. Should clear up a lot of confusion.

I also recommend checking on questionable state lands...some landowners think they own state land.

I will, as I am pretty sure area 7 is a hotbed of private landowner disputes.

I saw some pretty awesome rams in there when I was there.

Didn't see a single elk:confused: Loser eh?

To tell you the truth Area 7 is a big pain in the arse when it comes to private landowners.

Very unfriendly and they try tirelessly to keep hunters from accessing public lands. Its bad, to the point they flat refuse to even be helpful when asked for specific boundary issues.

I've hunted 7 with two good friends of mine, and I hate it enough to likely never apply for a tag there again. Its not worth arguing with grouchy landowners over an elk. They wont try to help with proper posting, rather they wait for a hunter to stray onto their land, usually unfenced and not signed, then call the Game and Fish on speed-dial.

If you were seeing sheep, I'd recommend looking a little further North for elk...

I Have been through the difficult private crap here in Colorado unit 10, fences way wrong and not signed, and landowners just itching to call. Nothing a good 7.5 and GPS won't cure.

I came home and ordered a bunch of 7.5 series for up there. I figured I was to far south about mid weekend. Did a quick drive by on Sunday. When I go back this month I am gonna be farther North.

Have you seen the bull in the archery shop in Laramie the guy claims to have found dead in 7 last year? Good freaking grief it was a toad.

I have seen that elk. There are some good ones in 7 but its a tough deal with all the private.

My advice to anyone hunting there would be to archery hunt it. If you dont get one during archery, I'd spend at least a week before the opener trying to locate the bull I wanted for opening day. If you dont get the bull you're after right away, its a real crapshoot from there.

The cow hunters, 1200 other bull tag holders, deer hunters, and private land make it real tough.

To top it off the elk usually herd up big-time and are real nomadic.

If you get snow later in the rifle season, I'd hunt further south.

Good advice Buzz. I forgot to tell you I got the blm maps of the area. I was kind of concerned about the private property. What is the deal with the checkerboard property? How does that work for land ownership?

The kid at the archery shop tipped that bull up and I started shaking. Needed some alone time after that:p

I am planning on archery hunting it. I have talked to several folks that bow hunted and all said it was a hoot.

Hopefully back up there the 1st weekend in June.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back