Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming special fee antelope

elkantlers

I think I know but was hoping to get some clarification. If I apply for a NR Wyoming Antelope with the special fee and apply for a hard to draw 1st choice area and then apply for an easier to draw second choice will my application have any better odds of drawing a 2nd or 3rd choice than someone who pays the regular fee?

Thanks.

There is a special random draw and a regular random draw, so your odds could be better, but not guaranteed. (they would most likely be better)

Go to the WY game and fish website and look at the draw odds there. Look at both the preference points draw odds and also random draw odds for both normal and special tags and compare. Like Oak said, draw odds for the special tags are almost always better. Usually the only exception is occasionally in the very top units.

I guess I should modify my reply a little bit. Mainly look at the random draw odds, because that's what will show you if there are any leftover tags. Look at the quota and then see if there are more tags available than people who applied for that unit as their first choice. Then look at how many people applied for that unit as their second choice. Say there are 10 tags available and 2 people put it down for their first choice and 2 for their second, in that case you would be able to draw. That's assuming the numbers will be similar for the following year. If there are 10 tags though, and 9 people put it for their first choice and there are 15 people who have it as their second choice, your odds of drawing obviously arent too good.

Thanks. I understand What you guys are saying. What I was wondering is in the special fee random draw if there are leftover tags do they go to people that pay the special fee and put that area as a 2nd or 3rd choice before they are given to a regular fee 2nd or third choice?

Thanks. I understand What you guys are saying. What I was wondering is in the special fee random draw if there are leftover tags do they go to people that pay the special fee and put that area as a 2nd or 3rd choice before they are given to a regular fee 2nd or third choice?

Yes. The 40% that are allocated to the special draw go all the way down to 3rd choice in the special pool before going to the regular draw or leftovers.

There are usually some draws each year that you can get as your 2nd choice in the special draw that you don't have 100% odds on as a 1st choice in the regular draw. Not a guarantee as people can do crazy things, but study the odds from the prior year and you can usually find some good options with your 2nd choice in the special draw. Again, no guarantee because others are probably doing the same thing, but if you look at the trend over several years you should get a feel for it.

That's exactly how people were getting a general elk tag as a second choice with 100% success until it backfired this year and was no longer the case if you look at the draw odds that are posted. What npaden stated bit some people in the arse this year and they didn't draw what they thought was a sure thing by paying the extra money.

That's exactly how people were getting a general elk tag as a second choice with 100% success until it backfired this year and was no longer the case if you look at the draw odds that are posted. What npaden stated bit some people in the arse this year and they didn't draw what they thought was a sure thing by paying the extra money.

Thankfully I was a little lucky and still got mine though! :D At 63% odds as 2nd choice it was still better odds than 1st choice with no points in the regular draw.

On the antelope tag numbers we're dealing with a lot smaller pools of tags so it's a lot harder to predict than the general elk tag though.

Thanks for the comments. The way I put in I should get my second choice if not third for sure

This may be a bonehead question...but what is the difference between the draw odds for "Random Draw" and "Preference Points"? I see results in the "Preference Points" for those who drew with 0 points. Just a little confused.

This may be a bonehead question...but what is the difference between the draw odds for "Random Draw" and "Preference Points"? I see results in the "Preference Points" for those who drew with 0 points. Just a little confused.

The way Wyoming does the draws everyone is in the initial PP draws even though they don't have any PPs. If there are more tags available in a unit such that everyone with PPs draws a tag until it gets all the way down to those with no PPs then they have a chance at the remaining tags. The last draw held is the random one with an allotment of 25% of the tags. Everyone with no PPs is automatically in it along with those with PPs who didn't draw a tag on their first choice in the PP drawing. All of those tags are given out before it ever goes to second choice and only then does that happen if there are still tags left for the unit. If it goes to a second choice and there are still tags left then another draw is held for those who had the unit for their third choice. After all three choices are filled and there are still tags left, then the tags are sold as leftovers in July on a first come first served basis, regardless of residency. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
Yes it does, thanks Topgun. Better get out the slide rule.

You got that right, as it can be very confusing! I shake my head all the time when I go in the odds section and see where guys have burned multiple points in a unit or region where there are alway leftover tags. I even see where some have spent extra and gone into the special draws when the regular draw was a 100% certainty every year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back