Wyoming rut timing

JDH

I drew a tag for an area near Thermopolis and was wondering if anyone had an opinion of going out there the first week of season or the second week? Season is Oct 15-31. The second week is closer to rut but I don't know if it's close enough to start seeing more deer up and moving due to the rut coming up. Or maybe the weather will be worse so it's not worth it.

I don't know how much about the timing of the rut in WY, but I would simply go early due to pressure and weather. If you wait until the second week and the weather is bad, your hunt is over. Pressure is going to effect the animals movements more the second week than the first. Just my two cents.

Hunt the last 5 days 27th-31st. Bucks that have stayed hidden since late September will show themselves. Just my two cents....getting closer to a nickel🤣

Later weekdays are better but access to ag lands or areas around them will be biggest factor

Reactions: JDH
My typical M.O. is to be there opening day thinking you can't kill what's already been taken but I feel like the deer are probably good enough at hiding to negate that somewhat.

Unless you can spend a week before the 15th trying to dig one up, finding a mature buck will be tough. A week is seven morning and seven evenings behind glass. It will take all of that to find one in normal conditions. That last week they will be moving more. Good luck and use your optics!

I don't know how much about the timing of the rut in WY, but I would simply go early due to pressure and weather. If you wait until the second week and the weather is bad, your hunt is over. Pressure is going to effect the animals movements more the second week than the first. Just my two cents.
I disagree. Bad weather usually results in better hunting.

I disagree. Bad weather usually results in better hunting.
I guess it depends on how you define bad weather. We were stuck hunting in a blizzard 2 years ago with temps ranging between -10 to 10 degree for 4 days straight. Visibility was pretty terrible (so no glassing), snow was deep making hiking super tough, and animals seemed to be hunkered down. Hunting after the blizzard got pretty good though, so it all depends on how bad it is.

Yep, last 5 days unless you have a buck patterned for opening day.
They will start staging with doe groups and mature bucks will come out of nowhere.
Bad weather they may hunker down but be visible.
Bring good glass.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back