Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Region H

Classic35

So I draw a Region H deer tag and no Antelope. Since I have never hunted deer in Wyoming I really don't know where to start. This will be a true OYOA, and may get over for one scouting trip, maybe two.

I have my eye on the following units in the region 141, 146 and 156 in the high ground and 138, 139 and 130 in the mesa land. I know as a non resident I can't hunt the wilderness areas, so the plan was to hunt the edges.

So I amd looking for some starting points to begin the leg work.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Scratch 141, as well as 162 to the west of it, as those are both limited entry units that can't be hunted on your H tag!!!

Region H

I have deer and elk hunted extensively in Region H. I will be down there hunting Moose on a Unit 10 tag. I would avoid the opener in Region H. Wait at least a week before going. Get as far away from the horse trails as you can. Find the steepest, highest country you can access and start your search there. Think sheep. After the first shots are fired on the opener, many of the bigger bucks will retreat into the darkest timber and canyons and will only show themselves at first light or just before dark. After the opening pressure sibsides, many of the better bucks will move back into the open country. Be prepared to see lots of people from Utah and elsewhere in the non-wilderness areas. There are also lots of outfitters. It is my understanding that there has been a heavy winterkill in both G&H. As far as the quality of the bucks goes, it really varies. I have seen some tremendous NT bucks that seem to magically disappear on the opener. The typical bucks will have nice boxy racks with average mass (20"-26"). They will stay batchelored up through the first part of October.There are many large 3x3 and 3x4 bucks that get left alone by the people who like to high grade deer. A few years ago, my son shot and missed a nice buck in velvet that was pushing 30". I missed a decent NT in 2004 but didn't care when I later took a 185 B&C 4x4 in a Wyoming unit closer to home. I took a nephew (his first hunt) and his friend into H in 2009. They got a dink and an older 30" 4x3. We were only there for 2 days and could have taken a dozen average bucks. Last year, a buddy and I were in H for a couple days in late September. Just kind of a tune up for the rest of hunting season.The best buck we saw was a 27" 4x4 with average mass. We didn't shoot a thing. I believe if you hunt hard, you should expect to take a 160-170 B&C class buck. Obviously there are some bigger bucks. You will love the country once you get away from everyone else. Much of the country has great elk populations because of the various winter feeding areas. There are some grizzly bears, but not nearly as many as where I live.

Mighty Hunter ,

Thanks for the info, do you know anything about the Mesa low lands in Region H, 130, 138 & 139?? Just looks intriguing when you examine it on the maps.

Todd

Classic 35,
I have spent some time in 138-139 (20 years ago) and in 130 (about 6 years ago). I remember quite a few elk in each unit but the deer hunting was not much. Lots of smallish bucks and tons of does. I remember a buddy taking a poke at a big buck in 139 (Meadow Lake?). The lowland areas of 138 and 130 were crawling with antelope. I think a lot of that lowland area in 138 and 130 is winter range. The stuff closer to the Wind River Range (high country) bumps you into wilderness. If the season is open into late October you might get on some migratory deer down low (just a guess).The areas I am more familiar with are 152,153,154 and 142.

Mighty Hunter,

Thanks again - I was just looking at the NW corner of 142, Looks promising from the google earth images. Is the access good or will I have land owner access obstacles.

Todd

Some of 142 has access via old oil exploration activity (Horse Creek). Accessing the NW corner can be accomplished by going on the Hoback River Road (USFS 30700) that cuts off from 189 a few miles past Bondurant towards the Daniel Junction. That road heads south and deadends into some trail systems on National Forest. There are numerous trailheads that peel off that road. Many go back towards Monument Ridge and Hoback Peak. I recall that there was an extensive outfitting operation (corrals, etc.) at the end of the road proceeding into that country you are talking about. Don't know if it still exists.The valley that parallels the road has some private ranches and fancy homes but you can drive around them. Finding a trail to hike or horseback in the National Forest shouldn't be too hard. Again, try and find the steepest nastiest place off the horse trails that you can. Don't overlook hunting the thick stuff closest to those places. Go at least a week after the opener.

I have hunted these areas some and mightyhunter is exactly right. Wait untill 2nd week of season, get away from pack trails and find a good vantage point to glass into steep dark country. Our winter kill was bad this year, especially on the fawn crop. However there were some dandy bucks that made it through.

I drew a region H tag this year(2016) and hunted a week up Clark canyon in between Daniel junction and bondurant. Awesome country! saw a lot of average bucks, a few nice ones that I just couldn't seem to get on. My dad and brother tagged out on two 22" four points the last day we were up there. I thought I was going to get to go up this weekend so I held off on shooting a average buck, long story short I wasn't able to go this weekend. I was wondering if anyone is familiar enough with unit 138 to point me in a direction I might be able to get into the white tails on the extended hunt that starts Oct. 1? 138 is by La Barge. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Cameron

Make a few phone calls. Most ranchers/land owners are not as picky about their whitetails.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back