Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Region H Mule Deer

Powerman777

I drew a Region H mule deer tag this year as did my 60 year old dad. I really hope that he gets a decent buck and has a great time since this is his first and last time going. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me any pointers or ideas. We are planning on setting up camp and hiking in and doing some glassing all DIY. I was thinking on units 138 (east/southeast), 142, 153, or 152 (south of highway). I was thinking of these units since they seem to have less wilderness that we can't go into.

Thanks

from my research region h is kinda hurtin as 2010-11 winter was pretty rough on them,I put in for another unit but didnt draw out

Try the trail head at the end of county rd 23-164 in unit 142. Hike west about 2 miles. Hunt around Lookout and Horse Mtn. Lots of hiking. Tons of country. Haven't been there in 10 years but was good back then.

from my research region h is kinda hurtin as 2010-11 winter was pretty rough on them,I put in for another unit but didnt draw out

I heard that as well. Then I also read that this past winter was pretty easy on them and that there are many nice bucks that made it. I will keep my fingers crossed and just be thankful for the opportunity.

Try the trail head at the end of county rd 23-164 in unit 142. Hike west about 2 miles. Hunt around Lookout and Horse Mtn. Lots of hiking. Tons of country. Haven't been there in 10 years but was good back then.

Thanks for the info. I am going down there in a few weeks to check things out so I will take a look. I appreciate the help.

Region H

I have hunted this region 3 times all backpack high country hunts,where I think the best hunting is.Wherever you hunt call Forest Service to see if sheep are grazing there[real common] where they graze there will be no feed and very few deer,save yourself some wasted time

I have hunted this region 3 times all backpack high country hunts,where I think the best hunting is.Wherever you hunt call Forest Service to see if sheep are grazing there[real common] where they graze there will be no feed and very few deer,save yourself some wasted time

I did not know that about the sheep! Thanks for the tip. I am just excited to get out there and hunt in Gods great country and enjoy the view. If I shoot a buck then it is just an added bonus!! :D

There is an area worth looking at 2mi south of Bondurant on west side of highway on Clark Draw Rd.,it takes you up into some higher country and connects to hikeing trails through lots of country,you can camp along the rd and branch out from there.Take chains ,if it snows or rains the greasy mud is impassible.

Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the information, everything helps especially when a person has never hunted in an area before. I plan on going down to that area in the middle of August to do some scouting and look around.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back