PEAX Equipment

Wyoming rabbit outlook this year

huntinsonovagun

I finally drew my first pronghorn tag this year for a unit in the Cody region. The plan is to haul the camper and the whole family (wife and 3 kids all ages 5, 3, 2) up and spend some time exploring the West. I really want to get the two older boys out and hinting some rabbits (not necessarily shooting) and was hoping it is a “good year” for them. What’s the word on the street? Many bunnies this year? We are coming from Oklahoma, so we have a lot of the state to explore, which means it doesn’t have to be around Cody. I’ll be calling a couple of the biologists as well. We are all really excited about this trip!

This was actually a conversation over the winter near Lander. Seemed like rabbit numbers were down, but they've had a good spring. haha.

I think you'll find them pretty much any rocky part of the state you visit. Have fun!

You should be aware of Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease. It's spreading north at an alarming rate. In the Falconry world it is a big deal since rabbits are aprimary target.

I just read an article about rabbits in northern Colorado to have been found to have it. I think it said it was in some farm raised rabbits but they were looking for it in wild rabbits.

@huntinsonovagun I don’t think you have to dance around the edges on this one - just ask for the honey holes and GPS coordinates. ;) If I had some I’d share.

Good luck on the hunt. Looking forward to seeing some hero shots with some B&C bunnies.

Ha! “Not looking for anyone’s honey holes or a trophy....just want to have a good time and find a representative animal for the area.” 🤣

Read a sad article yesterday. Rabbits and hares are dying like flies across the west right now due to rabbit hemorrhagic disease. Don’t shoot or touch them till this passes. Another invasive disease. They say it can’t jump to humans but I wouldn’t tempt fate.

Read a sad article yesterday. Rabbits and hares are dying like flies across the west right now due to rabbit hemorrhagic disease. Don’t shoot or touch them till this passes. Another invasive disease. They say it can’t jump to humans but I wouldn’t tempt fate.

I’ve been seeing the articles on this too. Hopefully it passes soon 😕

Weather has been on the mild side last couple winters and rabbit population is up. However as suggested there is a problem with disease. If you do hunt rabbits, handle them with gloves on and dispose of any animals that show signs of any disease. I don't like to hunt rabbits myself until after the first hard frost and hope to get some wabbits this coming winter.

I talk to a couple of the biologists in the Cody region and they said this is probably the worst they’ve seen it (at least in that area). One said about 3 years ago was the best he’s seen it.

Still open to suggestions if anyone knows of a dense population. I would love to get my 3 and 5 year old boys on some good action (not doing the shooting) when we are there in late September.

I got 4 in my backyard I would let you shoot if it was legal. Laramie County in Wyoming has seen a boom in the rabbit population. Not too long ago they had a bad mange epidemic with foxes so they killed off a lot of the foxes. Landowners regularly shoot coyotes as soon as they see them so I don't see many of them except out in the county. It takes a bit of walking and that is only way you will see them. But you could put in for Nimmo Ranch HMA for rabbit hunting permissions. I hunt them on Nimmo Ranch myself and do fairly good. Don't see a whole lot of people hunting rabbits out there.

I got 4 in my backyard I would let you shoot if it was legal. Laramie County in Wyoming has seen a boom in the rabbit population. Not too long ago they had a bad mange epidemic with foxes so they killed off a lot of the foxes. Landowners regularly shoot coyotes as soon as they see them so I don't see many of them except out in the county. It takes a bit of walking and that is only way you will see them. But you could put in for Nimmo Ranch HMA for rabbit hunting permissions. I hunt them on Nimmo Ranch myself and do fairly good. Don't see a whole lot of people hunting rabbits out there.

We have rabbits, but definitely not an “abundance” here in Oklahoma (at least my area). Definitely don’t want my kids thinking it’s a “gimme” without a little bit of walking, but want some good fun action too. Thanks for the tips- I’ll do some checking!

Side note- I probably should do some more searching, but what about grouse? Those may be a hidden secret...I have no idea as I’ve never even seen a grouse in my life. Is it bad ju-ju to shoot one on the ground with a .22? (Kinda like shooting sitting ducks?)

We have rabbits, but definitely not an “abundance” here in Oklahoma (at least my area). Definitely don’t want my kids thinking it’s a “gimme” without a little bit of walking, but want some good fun action too. Thanks for the tips- I’ll do some checking!

Side note- I probably should do some more searching, but what about grouse? Those may be a hidden secret...I have no idea as I’ve never even seen a grouse in my life. Is it bad ju-ju to shoot one on the ground with a .22? (Kinda like shooting sitting ducks?)
I recommend shotguns for grouse. I can't answer for using a 22 as I have never tried it. Check the hunting regs and make sure it is legal then go for it.

Wyoming has grouse. You usually find them in the sagey areas. Check this out to understand their habitat and numbers: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Habitat/Sage-Grouse-Management/Sage-Grouse-Data. The "core areas" are best place to hunt if you can get access.

I may be a heathen, but mountain grouse are the only bird that I will gladly ground swat, .22, shotgun, whatever (I prefer a .410 for them). They are too good to eat, and I chase them once per year. You’ll have to check legality on weapons though.

First thing I ever shot was a ground swatted ruffed grouse with my great grandma’s single shot .410.

Sage grouse are available in September depending on where you’re at. Those things are like small chickens.

Back