MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming question from a newbie

Great stuff on antelope here guys, definately got some guys who know what they are doing on these critters, here in WA we don't have any antelope so I've never had the chance to hunt them. I've got the bug now though and thankfully max points in WY so in 2010 I'm going to do something about it. A couple of quick questions feel free to reply in a PM if more comfortable.

Unit 61 seems to be a hot unit, it also has earlier dates than the others, do the earlier dates make for a much better season or is this unit just overhyped?

On some of the other units in the SW it looks like they will have a monday opener this year, is the hunting pressure going to be significant on an opener like that? I wouldn't think so but given this is the first time I've antelope hunted I'm not sure. I'd like to have a quality hunt with a good chance at a good buck, not looking at getting into a footrace with a ton of other guys.

Going with a special draw it looks like with a couple of exceptions most units I will be able to draw, I just want to make the most of the opportunity. Thanks.

Drove by unit 61 two trips to another unit this year and sure saw a ton of goats along the highway north of Rawlins. Wait till the rut really kicks in instead of targeting opening week and you will have little competition and a great hunt. No need to hunt the opener IMO. Not far from Colorado. see if you can draw a tag there as well and get 2 hunts in (Not that Colorado lope hunting compares to WY).

I would prefer units with later dates as the rut seemed to really cook early october and that is a blast to watch and hunt in. We were even able to have a fairly easy bowhunt with almost no rifle hunter competition during that part of the rifle season because of the peak rut going on.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back