Wyoming Pronghorn 2023

wvmedic

Hello all,

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Pronghorn hunt for my Fiancée and I in 2023. I plan to buy preference points for us this year and buy the special draw next year. The kicker is, I have Emphysema (COPD) not from smoking, although that didn't help, it's hereditary. I'm working on getting in shape to help with endurance, though I don't know how much better my breathing will improve. I do okay walking if I pace myself, hills get to me though. So with that being said, for those who know Wyoming. What areas of the state should I be looking at with my limitation? I've wanted to hunt Pronghorn for a very long time, when I was young and healthy enough I didn't have the time or the finance to do so. No that I'm retired I have the ability to go.

Thank you, Jeff Holmes

I had considered going with a Guide, though that is $3,000 for each of us on a 3 day hunt. I might still have to go that route because I really want to have a successful Pronghorn hunt.

Jeff

Only one point means your options for units are so limited that I'm afraid you don't have many options to be picky over. The good news is antelope habitat is generally easy to get around in.

Honestly though, if this is truly a dream you've had and you are genuinely concerned about your physical ability to pull off the hunt, paying special draw prices to hunt a marginal Wyoming unit with crowds of hunters might not be worth it if you're willing and able to go guided.

If I were in your shoes I'd seriously consider private land options in New Mexico. You can find a trespass style hunt and possibly get a deal on buying two tags instead of one, hunt private with a chance at good bucks and maybe the ability to glass from the truck some. I'd look for DIY or unguided though, I think having a guide over your shoulder would take the fun out of pronghorn hunting.

That's just my advice for if you go guided, I think it's still very possible for you to draw a tag in Wyoming and get on some antelope.

Only one point means your options for units are so limited that I'm afraid you don't have many options to be picky over. The good news is antelope habitat is generally easy to get around in.

Honestly though, if this is truly a dream you've had and you are genuinely concerned about your physical ability to pull off the hunt, paying special draw prices to hunt a marginal Wyoming unit with crowds of hunters might not be worth it if you're willing and able to go guided.

If I were in your shoes I'd seriously consider private land options in New Mexico. You can find a trespass style hunt and possibly get a deal on buying two tags instead of one, hunt private with a chance at good bucks and maybe the ability to glass from the truck some. I'd look for DIY or unguided though, I think having a guide over your shoulder would take the fun out of pronghorn hunting.

That's just my advice for if you go guided, I think it's still very possible for you to draw a tag in Wyoming and get on some antelope.
Thank you @RobertD I appreciate the reply. Gives me things to considerer.

Jeff

I agree with RobertD. Unfortunately 1 point won't get you much these days and even with the special, you're looking at the same few units that have been discussed on here ad nauseum. Yes there are plenty of animals in these units but they are generally not that easy to come by.
IMO, for a hunt that you could do and be enjoyable I'd say you are looking at 3-5 points. In the interim, I'm pretty sure you can find a guided hunt for less than the $3K you mention.

The only reason to pay for a guide is access to private land and the ability to use private land only tags that are often leftover after the draw. But for less money, I'd call Gillette WGFD office and see if they still keep a landowner list for trespass options, call some landowners, ask what unit they are in, and see if the private land only tags are available for those units. Most Wyoming pronghorn hunting is moderate altitude and terrain. Rent a portable oxygen concentrator for the trip.

I'd also consider the leftover FCFS in NV. Less pressure, tag price is similar, plenty of public, good goats. Then in a couple more years, do the WY antelope hunt. And while your at it, buy the CO antelope points and in 5 years go have another good hunt. Total cost of tags,<$1,000. Tack on travel from WV (depending on if gas is $4 or $1B/ gallon) and you can probably have three very excellent experiences in the next handful of years for the cost of one guided somewhere. Just a thought.

Thank you to everyone who replied, I really appreciate it. I subscribed to go hunt, I've been looking around on it. So you folks have given me options and things to consider. Now to make up our minds. We were going to South Africa next year but with the instability of things as they are I'm not sure about that.

Thank you all again, Jeff

An eastern wyoming pronghorn hunt is as easy as it gets from a physical stand point. You can quite literally drive around and probably see them. With only 1 point, you will likely run into units that have limited public access with goats on them. I personally would not hire a guide. Good luck.

Wyoming pronghorn is a great hunt. I'd save the guide money for your Africa trip though. Pronghorn aren't hard as long as there is enough public land habitat in the unit you end up in...which may be a challenge with one point.

s10 gives some good advice. We've hunted eastern Wyoming several times, mostly with doe tags, and mostly on private ground that we gained permission to hunt by simply knocking on doors, and as recently as 2 years ago. We spent one particular day asking permission, and ended up with more ground than we could hunt. And yes, its physically easy country, and the animals are pretty visible. If you could go scout and line up some ground to hunt before the season opened, all the better.

While you are building points make sure you apply for antlerless tags this year. That should give you a good baseline for physicality and let you learn the unit you may be hunting for later on.

I wouldn’t pay a guide for a pronghorn hunt. If you can walk around a bit you will be fine physically. 2 points looks to be a big step up from 1 point in the unit you could draw but that could change by 2024.

Id look for a tresspass fee hunt. It will cost a fraction of guided and Type 2 tags can usually be drawn with no points. The low point units have become a damn zoo. Its worth a few hundred bucks not to deal with that silliness IMO.

How does one go about finding these Trespass fee hunts? I have heard others talk about this, but have never seen this offered. Is this word of mouth from land owner to land owner? any help would be appreciated.

How does one go about finding these Trespass fee hunts? I have heard others talk about this, but have never seen this offered. Is this word of mouth from land owner to land owner? any help would be appreciated.

just call landowners and outfitters.

the warden can tip you off to who allows access for a price too.

Your COPD will not be a limitation for the 95% of the pronghorn hunting out there, I wouldn’t use it as a selection criteria. Do account for the altitude though.

If you don’t want to try to secure private land access, but want to do it on one point, you will be looking at areas with more limited public land. But that doesn’t mean you won’t be successful and it doesn’t mean you won’t have fun!

My advice would be to pick an area that has at least a few accessible blocks with more than 1 section. And, go late in the season, there won’t be much (or any) pressure pushing them back onto private (everyone will be filled out or hunting deer and elk).

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back