Wyoming Points ?

zimmy

I was wondering if it is possible for a NR to get drawn for a elk tag with 1 point. I want to go on a archery hunt next year so I was thinking about putting in for just a point this year. Wyoming can be difficult to figure out. Thanks

Thats definitely the link to check out. You may also want to look into the special draw as well with one pp. That may get you into the units you want.

The simple answer to the question being asked is that you can get drawn for a tag with no PPs at all in the Random Draw. Everyone is in the PP Draw first before the Random Draw that doesn't use PPs. The latter is held for everyone that didn't draw with their PPs.

Last edited:
Wyoming gives out tags in a random draw in every unit so even with 1 point in a primo unit, you have a chance. Although sometimes in the super primo units with very few tags given out, I don't think they always have a tag available in the random draw.

Look at these 2 links instead:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ELK_RD_NONRES_2015.pdf
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ELK_RD_NONRESSP_2015.pdf

Those are the draw odds in the random draw. The first one is for the regular license, which is cheaper than the special which is the 2nd. There is nothing different between the 2 types of tags, other than the cost.

Confused yet?!?!?!?!

Can someone explain the difference between 1pt, <2pts, and 2pts in the draw odds page ?
How can you have a partial point ?

Can someone explain the difference between 1pt, <2pts, and 2pts in the draw odds page ?
How can you have a partial point ?

A party app. WY does not round up or down. Examples:

Three guys apply with 2,2,and 3 points respectively. The go into the draw with 2.33 points.

Two guys apply with 2 and 3 points respectively. They go into the draw with 2.5 points.

Those are the numbers you are seeing.

Its because there are 4 draws for NR's (2 each for preference points and random), landowner tags, and a lot of decision making authority on tag percentages is up to the department.

I have been checking out the same thing with go hunt and this is what i find. unit 3,6,8,9 odds are 41% for a general tag. if you are willing to take a cow you can buy a leftover cow tag for half price. that is what i did last year.

Are your odds 41% for a general tag if you have zero points? And can you use that tag in any of the general units in the state?

There are 4 draws in Wyoming & here are the odds for first choice applicants in 2015:
17.2% in the Regular Random Draw
59.3% in the Special Random Draw
40.29% in the Regular PP Draw with 1PP
45.13% in the Special PP Draw with 0 PPs

The 2015 draw odds were 40% with one preference point in the regular draw last year. That means 60% didn't draw with one point (including my group) and will likely be applying this year with two points. My guess is that very few will draw with one point in the preference point draw this year. Your odds will probably be closer to 20% than 40%. This is just a guess, though. I've been wrong before.

I drew WY gen with no points reg draw (2012). Be aware of the nonres restrictions the outfitters have in place, especially in early seasons when the elk are still up high. I love the country in WY but have a hard time swallowing the way the state caves to the big money groups to keep the nonres. off the PUBLIC federal lands without an outfitter. Bigger problem in the North Western part of the state but definitely something to think about for DIY hunters before investing a lot of money in WY.

Is there another report other than the draw odds report that they put on the website? The 2015 report shows that 1221 non residents applied for a general tag in the special with no points, but only 552(45.13%) drew tags. I have seen where people said that 51% of people that applied for general special as their second choice ended up with a tag when they filled the rest of the 7250 tags they must give to non residents.

Does that mean that everybody who applied for first choice general special actually ended up with a tag, even though that is not what the draw odds report shows? I guess I'm just wondering if there is way to see where every one of those 7250 tags ended up going so that a guy can study the trends?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back