Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming points??

Chucknduck

So I haven't been working for a few weeks been researching antelope units in wy to pass the time. I have no points and realize that I might not be able to get a unit with great access. There is always a chance in the random draw.

So if you don't draw an area of 1st choice but draw your 2nd or 3rd do you still get a point?
Also if you do draw your 1st choice and can't get a point that way can you purchase one for the next year??

I was going to buy a point last year and missed the deadline now I'm kicking myself. Thinking that I will just start building points till the boy is old enough to start applying with me. I can always draw 2nd or 3rd or hunt leftovers

If you don't draw your first choice, you get a point. You can't buy a second point that year, though. If you do draw your first choice, then you can't buy a point that year either, if I am correct...that's what happened to me 2 years ago when I spent my points.

Cool thanks. Now I just have to find a area I can draw 2nd choice and still find some public. I was doing some research last year and it seems like some of those areas (east of I-25) are getting harder to draw with 0points.

Cool thanks. Now I just have to find a area I can draw 2nd choice and still find some public. I was doing some research last year and it seems like some of those areas (east of I-25) are getting harder to draw with 0points.

Have you checked out the "special" licenses? I am going this year with 0 points and I am heavily considering buying a special tag. It opens up your options a little bit more.

You don't just get a PP by not getting your first choice in the draw in Wyoming. As I think you're aware, but maybe some newbies aren't, you have to buy that PP each year and you can pay for it during the application period when you apply for the draw or during the PP application only period from 7/1-10/31. If you pay for it on your application and draw your first choice they refund your PP money and you are then at zero for the draw the following year. You are also locked out online from being able top buy a PP between 7/1 and 10/31 for that species. An antelope PP is $30, deer is $40, and elk is $50.

Last edited:
Gunner is saying in Wyoming you need to add the point fee to the app unless you plan to buy the point later.

So if I buy a preference point this year it is only good for next year? And I can buy it after I apply for the tags this year?? So if I buy one this year and I don't draw first choice next year I keep the point and buy another?

So if I buy a preference point this year it is only good for next year? And I can buy it after I apply for the tags this year?? So if I buy one this year and I don't draw first choice next year I keep the point and buy another?

You can buy a point for pronghorn in WY as a non-resident if you did not draw a 1st choice that application year. You keep that pronghorn point until you draw a 1st choice in a future year or fail to apply for pronghorn for a certain number of consecutive years. If you apply for 5 years, never drawing your first choice and buying a point each year then you would be sitting on 5 points.

Yes, yes, and yes! You only lose your PPs if you draw a first choice tag or if you don't apply for a tag or buy a PP in two consecutive years.

TopGun, you had me scared I thought I was missing a preference point from drawing a second choice but I just checked and its still there.

Do yourself a big favor and check out on Wy website all the walk in areas and hunter management areas and what units they are in.You can draw easy units and hunt in those.Some special requirements in certain hunter management areas
I use to hunt 2nd choice units in hunter managements areas and always killed bucks easily

So I've been looking at the Wyoming hunt planner. They have the pp draw odds and the random draws listed. When it comes to the random draw it shows the tags issued and the number of 1st 2nd and 3rd choice applicants. So when they do the random draw do they draw 1st choice applicants first then if there are tags left go to 2nd choice? Or do they draw from all unsuccessful apps

Also if I draw a first choice that stops me from buying a point after the draw for next year? Can only buy a point if unsuccessful on first choice right??

So I've been looking at the Wyoming hunt planner. They have the pp draw odds and the random draws listed. When it comes to the random draw it shows the tags issued and the number of 1st 2nd and 3rd choice applicants. So when they do the random draw do they draw 1st choice applicants first then if there are tags left go to 2nd choice? Or do they draw from all unsuccessful apps

Also if I draw a first choice that stops me from buying a point after the draw for next year? Can only buy a point if unsuccessful on first choice right??

First off, everyone is in the PP Draw for their first choice and if not drawn for a tag those people then go into the Random Draw. If they get a tag there for that first choice, they still lose all their PPs that they had going into the draws. If they don't get a tag in that draw, then they go into another random draw for their second choice. If they don't get a tag there, they go into a draw for their their third choice unit with others that haven't yet drawn a tag for their first two choices. Any tags that are still left after that entire process is completed are sold as leftovers in July.

You are correct on your other statements in that you can't gain a PP in the same year that you draw a first choice tag. If you pay for a PP during the application period and then draw a first choice license, the G&F refunds that PP money and you go into the following year with no PPs. If you draw that first choice and didn't pay for a PP during the application the computer locks you out of buying a PP during the 7/1-10/31 PP Only Application Period.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back