PEAX Equipment

Wyoming point creep. How bad will it be for the NR elk draw this year?

My plan 2 years ago was to hunt WY this year. Me and the wife have 4 points now, but I just started getting points for 2 of the kids last year. With our points and previous experience in CO, it made sense to go back there this year. Now, I think I'll just wait it out a year or two and average with the kids so we can all get a general tag.

It does seem crazy some of the point stacking without a plan, my buddy has 14 elk pp in CO and this is the first year he'll have a chance(not a guarantee) for the unit he's been chasing, but he didn't even apply, and just got another pp. It will be 4 or 5 years before he's guaranteed with the creep it's seeing.

My plan 2 years ago was to hunt WY this year. Me and the wife have 4 points now, but I just started getting points for 2 of the kids last year. With our points and previous experience in CO, it made sense to go back there this year. Now, I think I'll just wait it out a year or two and average with the kids so we can all get a general tag.

It does seem crazy some of the point stacking without a plan, my buddy has 14 elk pp in CO and this is the first year he'll have a chance(not a guarantee) for the unit he's been chasing, but he didn't even apply, and just got another pp. It will be 4 or 5 years before he's guaranteed with the creep it's seeing.
Unless you all are waaay above average hunters, You could turn those points into at least two trips. Having one parent and one kid with a tag at a time should make for a fun challenge for the team and allow you to try it a couple years in a row.

Unless you all are waaay above average hunters, You could turn those points into at least two trips. Having one parent and one kid with a tag at a time should make for a fun challenge for the team and allow you to try it a couple years in a row.
Great advice here. I would go as far as to say to try and make several trips with one tag each. Odds of killing more than one elk are slim to none unless way above average huntesr. But if you go 3 or 4 years in a row to the same spot your odds of killing an elk or two will be greatly improved. Then by the time you cycle through those tags you will likely have almost enough points to start drawing general tags again. Mix in a CO hunt or two in between. As hard as tags are getting to draw, a strategy like this can mean more years with a decent tag and more meat in the freezer. Just my 2 cents.

Yea, I've considered that and may go that route. It will depend on the work situation, currently, I'm doing contract work so I can take off the entire season, but that may change by the time we go. Four elk will still be a lot tho and almost impossible to store. I may do two or three, or some combo. I also have a 9 yo that will be a few years behind on points, so I may hold out one of our points to average with him.

My dad and I are in together with 5 points each in the regular, and our hunting partner is in with 4 points in the special. So there are a few different potential outcomes for us. Hopefully it ends up with one that involves us hunting Wyoming this fall! Good luck all

My dad and I are in together with 5 points each in the regular, and our hunting partner is in with 4 points in the special. So there are a few different potential outcomes for us. Hopefully it ends up with one that involves us hunting Wyoming this fall! Good luck all
My bet is you all draw. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back