Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming or Montana?

silentassassin

We are looking at a OYOA in either Wyoming or Montana for 2011. We have 1 point in WY and 2 pts in Montana. We are looking towards the bighorns in WY but I am open to any suggestions on general areas. We will be taking horses and pakcing in. Also, we have access to a cabin in Superior, MT. Has anyone got any information on the elk hunting in this area of Montana? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've hunted around Superior since I was 12. It's awesome country and there's potential for trophies in there, but the populations are really in the crapper right now. Like 20 percent of what they were 7-8 years ago.

Not to say you couldn't have a fun hunt packing in to the backcountry there, but the odds are really stacked against you for coming out with a bull.

1 point likely won't be enough to put you in a unit in the Bighorns that won't be a circus. 36 and 37 are nuts as far as the number of hunters.

Well, i grew up next to Superior and if you were going to come on a pack in hunting trip in MT, I would say you would be picking one of the last places i would go. There are definately elk there but the quantity of elk is far less that other areas of MT. IF your choice was between the Bighorns and Superior, MT, i would never pick Superior. Was born and raised in that country and the hunting now is far less than it used to be, the wolves have had a huge impact on the deer and elk in the St.Regis and Superior area.

Horse packing... how about up scapegoat or other direct Marshal routes? Rifle rut season and some good ones to be found. Griz country so bear proof panniers are a good route...
Maybe District 150.

We mess around in that country every now and then when time permits for a proper horse back country hunt.
edit: btw - it is a general Elk tag. no specific drawing for a chance hunt other than any NR hoops to jump through.

2nd edit: another decent horse back country area is near the area you are speaking of... South fork trout creek... west side. We have gone in via Schley mtn area / surveyor lake/creek. A horse set parking / campground area. a good horse trailhead there. district 202 (oct 23 for rifle) Note: the road up to Schley is rough... there are a few other areas for horse trailers, etc... cache creek - and over near "Hole in the wall" - etc.
also to add - N fork blackfoot has a good horse set parking / campground area and trailhead... both have their outfitters... a bit heavier outfitter traffic for the n fork trailhead though its a free country - they know it. Some good guys and gal - for the most part (for access to 280/150)

Last edited:
Horse packing... how about up scapegoat or other direct Marshal routes? Rifle rut season and some good ones to be found. Griz country so bear proof panniers are a good route...
Maybe District 150.

We mess around in that country every now and then when time permits for a proper horse back country hunt.
edit: btw - it is a general Elk tag. no specific drawing for a chance hunt other than any NR hoops to jump through.

2nd edit: another decent horse back country area is near the area you are speaking of... South fork trout creek... west side. We have gone in via Schley mtn area / surveyor lake/creek. A horse set parking / campground area. a good horse trailhead there. district 202 (oct 23 for rifle) Note: the road up to Schley is rough... there are a few other areas for horse trailers, etc... cache creek - and over near "Hole in the wall" - etc.
also to add - N fork blackfoot has a good horse set parking / campground area and trailhead... both have their outfitters... a bit heavier outfitter traffic for the n fork trailhead though its a free country - they know it. Some good guys and gal - for the most part (for access to 280/150)

Sytes,

Thanks! Lots of good info to digest there! Much appreciated!

No disrespect guys as I enjoy your comments - though when Randy announces on national television specific areas in Montana for hunting... and openly announces how Montanan's may not like him for saying it... - well, just sayin' ;)

My offer of opportunities for backcountry horse access points is a far cry from saying - "Ya - hey Joe, hit this drainage! There were several bulls in there! Or... Hey Mike, there is a great wallow with a treestand ready!" That IMO, is for PM's.

For an out of state person looking to pull a horse trailer to Montana for a hunt is a bit different than a person asking for some locations to hunt. I empathize with any person planning such a logistically challenging event. There are limited areas for back country horse trailer capable trailheads that open into vast areas of "wilderness" opportunity.

I suppoose we hold a difference of opinion on what is deemed Pm worthy and what would be general advise for starting trailheads to access the many areas within our wilderness... (Non motorized, etc).

Last edited:
I'll third the pm rule...

1) I've yet to hear Randy name off anything more specific than a Nat'l Forest name or region

2) Naming trailhead is the exact same as naming drainages...there's nothing special about it being liquid--a landmark is a landmark

3) I find it to be strange logic that you can "empathize" with someone planning a hunt but not someone who's spot you may be revealing to untold numbers of internet users

Cheers for your opinions - I suppose. We all have them. ;)

IMO, a start point to go into back country covers a wide and vast area... few are labeled as say, district 150...

Hunting District 150 - Elk

Additional Information
NOTE: Backcountry - Remote location, access difficult.

In a case such as this and the "Great Burn Wilderness" I think it is useful to horse routed back country hunters looking to access the area.

Note: nothing in my post states locations within these two wilderness locations for taking any game. The only aspect revealed are locations that can accomodate horse trailers and are listed as horse designated trailheads...

A bit too much being made of very little... The area of focus was the general vicinity of Missoula... being Superior... IMO - as a resident in Missoula area, Ovando access point and Schley Mtn area are both considered "local locations" for back country horse hunting. - This was the area specific to this persons general inquiries.

Last edited:
Everything these guys are saying is true. Pretty much all the 100 hunting districts and 200 hunting district have elk numbers on the decline, some on the steep decline. Thats most of western Montana. I would be checking with local FWP bios in the areas you are thinking about, ask about wolf activity, and dis placed hunters. Lots of western Montana guys looking for new spots since growing wolf numbers.

belly-deep #3 +1

How about publicly offering up info about YOUR hunting area to this guy Sytes?

Last edited:
Well TJones, Seems I did w/o revealing areas within the 1,259,256 (approx) acres listed. ;)

Whats that saying ,,,loose lip??? Not to smart. Sorry for the thread hijack. Carry on.

I am not interested in perpetuating this further... Chaulking this one up as - agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Here is my hot tip...........................apply for Wyoming. You will know by the end of February.

If not drawn then apply for Montana by March 15th.

No PM needed:D

Here is my hot tip...........................apply for Wyoming. You will know by the end of February.

If not drawn then apply for Montana by March 15th.

No PM needed:D

Good tip! I might just do that!

By the way, I don't want to stir up any disagreements BUT I'm happy to get info however I get it:D

Sytes, no disrespect but let me give you an example: Another hunting show, Western Extremes, came into Montana last year and videoed a hunt here which showed them killing elk in archery season. Well, they actually video taped the trailhead sign as they went in which was the best area i've ever hunted elk, until now. Amazingly, you can't even find a place to park most days at that location now with many of the plates being non local people. Now, its truly public land and certainly everybody has the right to be there, but i'm certainly curious as to how the hype of the place came about coincidentally after that airs to millions of potential viewers;)

I about dropped my dinner in my lap when watching that on TV, a bummer for sure. O-well, off to find another "honey-hole". the most frustrating part was they video taped that episode in Montana's Wilderness area. From all i have gathered, you can't even get a legal permit to video in a Wilderness area so they shouldn't have even been able to air the footage. With enough complaints to the show, they finally removed that trailhead image from the airing episode when reruns are done.

just sayin;)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back