Wyoming NR doe tag drawing question

bts09

Howdy all,

I can't find the answer to this and I've seen conflicting things on here. If I apply for two doe tags in the same unit, if I draw one, will I automatically draw the second? I've only done this once, applied for two, drew them both. But I want to know, do I have a chance of drawing 1 instead of the two I apply for if it's the same unit? Obviously I'll draw both if there are more doe tags than applicants, but in a scenario where say there are 50 tags and 200 applicants, are the possible results for me 0 tags, 1 tag, or 2 tags? For some reason, I'm under the impression that if you draw one, you draw both.

Thanks.

They are two separate lottery tickets in the proverbial hat. Each has the same chance to be drawn but one isn't guaranteed if you draw the other.

You can apply for 2 or do 2 separate apps for each tag, meaning you can either apply for 2 tags total and get both or none or apply 2 separate tags and get 1 or 2 or none.

Ok, this must be where I was getting confused--so there's a way to do it where I could, in fact, only get both or none. My suspicion is this is what my friend and I each did last year, as we both got two doe tags each in an area where our odds were only about 50%--so we were definitely not expecting to get 4.

Thanks. Trying to figure out what to add on to our (hopeful) elk hunt. Don't want to draw four doe tags again between four guys and not be able to use a couple of them.

They are two separate lottery tickets in the proverbial hat. Each has the same chance to be drawn but one isn't guaranteed if you draw the other.

Nope, read wytex's reply. You can check the box for 2 tags on one application and you will either get 2 tags or no tags. You can do 2 separate applications on each of those, independent of each other, you could draw with 2 apps, 1 app, or 0 apps.

Nope, read wytex's reply. You can check the box for 2 tags on one application and you will either get 2 tags or no tags. You can do 2 separate applications on each of those, independent of each other, you could draw with 2 apps, 1 app, or 0 apps.
Yeah, I thought that was self evident. If you put them in separately they are two separate tags.

You can apply for 2 or do 2 separate apps for each tag, meaning you can either apply for 2 tags total and get both or none or apply 2 separate tags and get 1 or 2 or none.

I can confirm that this is correct. I doubted whether this was right, so I called four different wyoming game and fish departments. All four told me something different than what wytex said...they all said that submitting both applications at once could get you 0, 1, or 2 tags. They were independent of each other. I asked if I could submit them one at a time and 2 offices told me I couldn't do that, and the other 2 said it wouldn't make a difference. I finally called the number that appears at the bottom of the page in the draw application page. The guy there confirmed what wytex said. I told him I had heard differently from the field offices so he went to someone else, who he described as THE regulation guy, and confirmed that what he was saying was correct.

This is the screen you see when applying for doe tags as an individual.
If you want 2 or none, both licenses need to be filled out identically and submitted at the same time.
If license 1 is different than license 2, they will be separate apps even if they are submitted at the same time; you'll get zero, 1, or 2.

WY-2020- doe individual.jpg

This is the screen you will see if applying as a Party Organizer (leader).
In this instance, there is a drop down box for choosing 1 or 2 licenses.

WY-2020- doe party.jpg

I can confirm that this is correct. I doubted whether this was right, so I called four different wyoming game and fish departments. All four told me something different than what wytex said...they all said that submitting both applications at once could get you 0, 1, or 2 tags. They were independent of each other. I asked if I could submit them one at a time and 2 offices told me I couldn't do that, and the other 2 said it wouldn't make a difference. I finally called the number that appears at the bottom of the page in the draw application page. The guy there confirmed what wytex said. I told him I had heard differently from the field offices so he went to someone else, who he described as THE regulation guy, and confirmed that what he was saying was correct.

Wow. Thanks for all the legwork on this. I suspect I'll still find a way to mess it up.

If you want 2 or none, both licenses need to be filled out identically and submitted at the same time.
If license 1 is different than license 2, they will be separate apps even if they are submitted at the same time; you'll get zero, 1, or 2.

View attachment 140143
Yep! This is the best explanation I’ve seen.

Pretty sure I was right since we apply every year for doe tags but thanks for confirming. Things can change from year to year.
Remember you can also get 2 more doe tags in leftover draw as well.

View attachment 140143

Thanks for this, very helpful. First time applicant here for myself and my son.

Is there a way to have the same first and second choice doe apps and get 2, 1 or 0 tags or if I fill out the same zone for our first and second choices is the only outcome we get 2 or 0? Another we to ask what I am trying to figure out is could we draw first choice on one app and 2nd choice on another if the units are the same on both doe applications?

Thanks for this, very helpful. First time applicant here for myself and my son.

Is there a way to have the same first and second choice doe apps and get 2, 1 or 0 tags or if I fill out the same zone for our first and second choices is the only outcome we get 2 or 0? Another we to ask what I am trying to figure out is could we draw first choice on one app and 2nd choice on another if the units are the same on both doe applications?

I think that works if you apply for just one and go all the way through checkout, then log back in and apply for the second one with the same choices.

I think that works if you apply for just one and go all the way through checkout, then log back in and apply for the second one with the same choices.
Yes, except you don't have to pay and log out, then log back in. You just do your first application, then do a second application with the same first and second choices. That's the way I did it this year.

Thanks guys, I did both my sons and my applications where I filled out one and then the other. First and 2nd choice units are the same on both applications

Pretty sure I was right since we apply every year for doe tags but thanks for confirming. Things can change from year to year.
Remember you can also get 2 more doe tags in leftover draw as well.
If you pick up 2 additional in the leftover is it still reduced price?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back