Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Nonresident 9 points to wager

Forgive me if this sounds harsh...

so what have you been doing for 9 years? If you are gonna invest $450 (minus interest) in points, I'd assume you had perused the units...

Let me help on the "No Grizz" Part....Eliminate the NW quarter of Wyoming all the way to Meteetsee and down to Farson.
AOI_Grizzly.jpg

Truth be told, you would have a better idea if you had spent your points every 3 years and gotten to know a general unit, and probably had 3 elk already.

I have states I'm building points in that I've never hunted...But ever since that first year I've known the unit I was applying for. I wouldn't build points if I didn't have a target.
Yeah I printed off the pages with the number of points to draw needed and went thru and highlighted the primo areas within our points available. Then I searched on the map to make sure they were not in griz country. Then I looked at access. I wish I knew that alot of good areas were able to he drawn with 3 points. We would have been hunting those areas. Not looking for that magic spot, but hoping 9 points might help us in one way or another. I can hump some of the tougher terrain, but I'm 47, my buddy is 51 and the other guy is about 70. We want to hunt as a group, so I have to lower the standards some to accommodate him.

I totally get the whole “buy a general tag every so many years and learn an area.” It makes a ton of sense. I look at it as somewhat of an investment though. Our group has points for multiple species in multiple states and don’t have time to hunt Wyoming elk every few years and still do all the other hunts. That’s our choice. We could prioritize WY elk and do that. However, it made sense to us in the meantime to buy points til somewhere in the 8-10 point range and then draw the best tag we could. I’m sure we aren’t the only group that didn’t anticipate this drastic of point creep 7+ years ago when starting to build points.
Amen!!!

Next thing you know, people will be expecting the elk to come right to the truck. Oh wait... I've had that happen!

Even in moderate terrain, if you walk a mile from the road, you'll being doing better than half the local hunters, many of whom never leave their truck until they see an elk within shooting range.
Yeah we usually hike 1000 vertical feet to about 10000 ft and about 3 miles from the truck where we hunt in Colorado. Most of the time we are in the elk year after year.

Forgive me if this sounds harsh...

so what have you been doing for 9 years? If you are gonna invest $450 (minus interest) in points, I'd assume you had perused the units...

Let me help on the "No Grizz" Part....Eliminate the NW quarter of Wyoming all the way to Meteetsee and down to Farson.
AOI_Grizzly.jpg

Truth be told, you would have a better idea if you had spent your points every 3 years and gotten to know a general unit, and probably had 3 elk already.

I have states I'm building points in that I've never hunted...But ever since that first year I've known the unit I was applying for. I wouldn't build points if I didn't have a target.
I won't speak for the RP but I'm in a similar situation with points. particularly in WY with my son.
First, if I had to do it all over I would go general or have a two to three year plan. I totally agree with the statement, but things happen and plans change. I barely know what I'm doing next week.
In my defense I started building points when he was 12 years old thinking it was smart to get in the "game". We are not in a financial position or have the needed time to hunt multiple states in a year. So years pass, one of us doesn't have the time off, sports events interfer or we hunt elsewhere. You have to keep buying points every other year or you loose them. Then you're hundreds of dollars invested and start raising expectations. So here I am at 9 or 10 points rethinking everything.
There are worse problems to have than a bunch of elk points. Hopefully this is the year. Everyone is healthy, the boy can pack out like a pro.
Patiently awaiting pm with unit suggestions and gps coordinates.....thanks

Plenty of units in Wyoming that give you a chance to accomplish what you are hoping for, though not a guarantee. The number of points required as the determining factor of a good elk hunt can be a bit of a crapshoot. Higher point units usually improve the likelihood of an enjoyable experience more than the certainty of the number/size of bull(s) tagged.

Some good luck and lots of hard work will make it more likely; maybe one or two of the three get that outcome.

Bad luck, bad hunting conditions, or average/below average effort and it is unlikely to happen for any of the three.

Get handy with onX. Get a good pack, trekking poles, and give yourself extra days to scout before the hunt and your likelihood increases dramatically.

Good luck. Mostly, have fun.

Good info from Randy/

WY is a state that rewards hard work. A guy can work his a$$ off with a general tag and shoot a great bull. A guy can expect a great hunt after investing 10+ years in points and shoot an average bull. It's the #1 state I hunt where points don't matter more than effort.

IMHO, you're a little short on points to expect and drivearound hunt for good bulls, but if you guys are willing to put in miles you can expect to get some 300" bulls. If you're thinking your 9 points will get you easy access to 320"+ bulls, I'm sorry but you're not going to find that.

BTW, this is why I'm moving to WY in the next few years. If you are willing to put in the work It's a great state!

Plenty of units in Wyoming that give you a chance to accomplish what you are hoping for, though not a guarantee. The number of points required as the determining factor of a good elk hunt can be a bit of a crapshoot. Higher point units usually improve the likelihood of an enjoyable experience more than the certainty of the number/size of bull(s) tagged.

Some good luck and lots of hard work will make it more likely; maybe one or two of the three get that outcome.

Bad luck, bad hunting conditions, or average/below average effort and it is unlikely to happen for any of the three.

Get handy with onX. Get a good pack, trekking poles, and give yourself extra days to scout before the hunt and your likelihood increases dramatically.

Good luck. Mostly, have fun.
Thanks Randy!! I've been told 10 percent of the hunters kill 90 percent of the elk and n.v I agree 100 percent. Weve only hunted antelope in Wyoming so Hopefully this will be the start of some better elk hunting than we do in Colorado.

So we decided to just put in for a cow hunt in 7 with a Region J tag for deer and maybe an antelope tag too.

Reactions: LCH
I hunted 23 last fall with 9 points
Saw lots of elk
Very doable by yourself

I’ve hunted the snakes and surrounding areas for elk and deer on and off for the last 15 years or so. I believe you can meet your goals in that area, but it will
not be a very easy hunt. One thing that turns me on about that area the most is that you have 3 entire months to kill a bull - all of September archery, and 2 full months with a rifle. Being you’re from Georgia, you’re probably not going to be able to take advantage of all that time like a resident would. Perhaps two separate trips would be doable for you? If you draw this tag I strongly encourage getting to know the area via onX and most importantly dedicate a few days prior to the season to scout and locate elk. Put a bull to bed and get on him before anyone else can on opening morning. Opening day is your best chance and after day 2 of rifle season you're chances of finding mature elk on public will go down significantly. Next best thing to do after that is to wait until weather pushes elk down.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back