Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Moose 24-1 (elk 92/94, deer G (143) / H(142))

12ring

I was fortunate and lucky enough to draw a NR random tag for bull moose, 24-1. I would be very interested in feedback from any of you that may have hunted this unit, or other comparable units, in Wyoming. Especially as it relates to specific dates that may be preferable, rut and migration patterns, glassing/locating strategies etc. For instance, I have heard that the first week or so of the archery season (Sept 1 – 14) is best to focus on bulls that may still be in their summer pattern and not yet on the move for cows, but I have also heard that bigger bulls tend to be a bit “easier” to turn up later in the general season (Sept 15 – Oct 31). I understand that moose will be moving from 24 into 25, but I imagine that some moose will also move into 24 from adjacent units. I live near enough that I plan on starting to scout/learn the area regularly from about mid-July, I am hoping to make 3-4 trips prior to the archery opener. I am planning on going with my bow for this hunt, either during the archery season or later in the general season. I would also be happy to share intel with any of you that may be hunting elk or deer in this area (elk 92/94, deer G (143) / H(142)). Any feedback, advice etc will be very much appreciated! Thanks!

If it comes down to it and you need a moose, I would just drive the road up to middle piney lake. There always seem to be a few little bulls hanging up there. Haven't seen anything spectacular, but there always seem to be a few on the side of the road.

October 1st is an interesting date, because that is when the unit 135 deer opener is. You may see some Moose bumped out of moose unit 26 as well, due to the deer opener.

A few moose hang out on la barge cr road as well. Packsaddle Ridge has a few as well. The road from La Barge creek to the road that leads to middle piney as a bunch as well. Really you could find them anywhere is the unit.

It probably won't be difficult getting a moose. The most difficult part will be finding the one you want.

The one thing I would recommend is that if you hauling a trailer whether it is ATV or camper, do not go up through La Barge. Either come in from star valley or big piney.

That La Barge creek rd is a rock pot hole infested SOB.

It is worth it to go around.

Thanks for the advice! I agree that the LaBarge Creek road is a PIA- seems like the stretch right as you enter NF, I've hunted in a nearby unit using that road for access and there's a particular long stretch that is indeed rock pot hole infested.

24 random was my strategy also, congrats on the tag! Sorry, but I can't help you either.

Congratulations on the tag. I had a tag in a nearby unit last fall. I started hunting on 9/28. We hunted from the river bottoms to over 10,000 feet. We saw most of the moose in the willows up smaller creeks and away from the road.

The first rut activity I saw was on 10/1 when we saw three small bulls sparring and chasing a cow. I got mine on 10/3. I can’t be sure but I think it was coming in to a call my brother had made 5-10 minutes earlier.

The local game warden, the biologist and several Hunttalkers provided me with lots of good info.

I will attempt to pm you a photo of the kind of stuff we were seeing moose in. Good luck!

Last edited:
If it comes down to it and you need a moose, I would just drive the road up to middle piney lake. There always seem to be a few little bulls hanging up there. Haven't seen anything spectacular, but there always seem to be a few on the side of the road.

October 1st is an interesting date, because that is when the unit 135 deer opener is. You may see some Moose bumped out of moose unit 26 as well, due to the deer opener.

A few moose hang out on la barge cr road as well. Packsaddle Ridge has a few as well. The road from La Barge creek to the road that leads to middle piney as a bunch as well. Really you could find them anywhere is the unit.

It probably won't be difficult getting a moose. The most difficult part will be finding the one you want.

The one thing I would recommend is that if you hauling a trailer whether it is ATV or camper, do not go up through La Barge. Either come in from star valley or big piney.

That La Barge creek rd is a rock pot hole infested SOB.

It is worth it to go around.

Not sure how this will impact the driving of the road up to middle piney lake...but:

The reconstruction will require the closure of Middle Piney Road just above Sacajawea Campground, as well as the Middle Piney Lake Campground, starting July 9, 2018. The closure will be in place for up to 4 years, due to the short construction time frames at the Lake’s elevation. Reopening is anticipated for the summer of 2022, or sooner if possible.

BAKPAKR- thanks for responding! I did get your PM, great looking moose, congrats! I'll definitely follow your example and reach out to F&G and the biologist for this area.

BuzzH- thanks for calling this out. I am assuming their notice that this will be closed during the summer season includes September and October. Sounds like you can hike in off road/off trail, but that sure is a hump if you killed a moose (I believe about 3+miles to the reservoir). Also, I believe I saw you drew a sheep tag? If so, wow- congrats and best of luck!!!

BuzzH- thanks for calling this out. I am assuming their notice that this will be closed during the summer season includes September and October. Sounds like you can hike in off road/off trail, but that sure is a hump if you killed a moose (I believe about 3+miles to the reservoir). Also, I believe I saw you drew a sheep tag? If so, wow- congrats and best of luck!!!

I think it might just be up to the lake. I am pretty sure you can still access the NF from Middle Piney Rd.

Yeah, it looks like the closure is from just above Sacajawea campground to the dam.

I was fortunate and lucky enough to draw a NR random tag for bull moose, 24-1. I would be very interested in feedback from any of you that may have hunted this unit, or other comparable units, in Wyoming. Especially as it relates to specific dates that may be preferable, rut and migration patterns, glassing/locating strategies etc. For instance, I have heard that the first week or so of the archery season (Sept 1 – 14) is best to focus on bulls that may still be in their summer pattern and not yet on the move for cows, but I have also heard that bigger bulls tend to be a bit “easier” to turn up later in the general season (Sept 15 – Oct 31). I understand that moose will be moving from 24 into 25, but I imagine that some moose will also move into 24 from adjacent units. I live near enough that I plan on starting to scout/learn the area regularly from about mid-July, I am hoping to make 3-4 trips prior to the archery opener. I am planning on going with my bow for this hunt, either during the archery season or later in the general season. I would also be happy to share intel with any of you that may be hunting elk or deer in this area (elk 92/94, deer G (143) / H(142)). Any feedback, advice etc will be very much appreciated! Thanks!
I just drew a tag for moose 24 too, any help would be greatly appreciated thx Joe Illinois

I just drew a tag for moose 24 too, any help would be greatly appreciated thx Joe Illinois
I have spent a lot of that time deer and elk hunting in that area. Good news is the Moose seem to be recovering there. Reach out with any specific questions.

Thank you for replying, I was going to start west of Daniel along N Horse Creek for a camping spot. My partner has a deer tag too . Any insight to a starting spot to camp. We are both 55 plus but in good shape. And can get around pretty well. We do not road hunt, like to bivy here and there too. Thanks in advance for your help. Joe V Tremont Illinois

Thank you for replying, I was going to start west of Daniel along N Horse Creek for a camping spot. My partner has a deer tag too . Any insight to a starting spot to camp. We are both 55 plus but in good shape. And can get around pretty well. We do not road hunt, like to bivy here and there too. Thanks in advance for your help. Joe V Tremont Illinois
Email me at [email protected] and I will be more then willing to help. I am very hesitant to share info on a public forum, hope you understand.

I would camp more central if it were me...I've hunted moose there twice and work in that country every year. Horse creek is full of campers if you hunt during deer/elk seasons. A few moose in the bottoms there, but I never found bulls of any size.

Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you right where I see bull moose almost all the time and where I see the best ones. It will cut down on wasting your time looking where they aren't. I would stay mobile and hiking in unproductive areas just doesn't pay...covering country via glass and vehicle is the way to fly. I can give you a couple good spots to hike into where it would be worth your time...lots more that you can glass from roads.

Keep your expectations realistic, there aren't a lot of really big bulls in that unit, but every once in a while a decent to very good one gets taken.

I killed one of the top few bulls I've personally seen there. No doubt probably a few better ones around.

DSC00872.JPG

I've hunted this unit three times between myself and others. What buzz has told you is spot on. Fun unit to hunt moose. Early in the season they will be almost nonexistent By October, they seem to be everywhere. Giant bulls are very rare, but "good" bulls are pretty common.

Back