Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Legislators Propose Lowering Hunting Age

It should be 10 for all kids who can pass the hunter safety. Right now as a WY resident my son hunts out of state because he can at age 10, but has to wait 2 extra years to hunt here in his home state... Why? Because someone somewhere made an arbitrary judgement on all people.

neither bull goes far enough to open up and encourage youth hunting opportunities...

It should be 10 for all kids who can pass the hunter safety. Right now as a WY resident my son hunts out of state because he can at age 10, but has to wait 2 extra years to hunt here in his home state... Why? Because someone somewhere made an arbitrary judgement on all people.

neither bull goes far enough to open up and encourage youth hunting opportunities...
How is 10 any less arbitrary than 12?

Maybe it should be 14 like it used to be.

No matter how well intentioned, always some carnival barker whining about something.

If you lower the age to 10, some chitbird will whine because its not 9.

How is 10 any less arbitrary than 12?
Haha. It is exactly my point and why I put it in my comment. It should be a decision made by a parent. In some states there is no min age. But I still feel if a kid can pass hunter safety, then they should be able to hunt. Each kid is different and as such it seems lunatics to punish the ones that are able and can successfully hunt...

Haha. It is exactly my point and why I put it in my comment. It should be a decision made by a parent. In some states there is no min age. But I still feel if a kid can pass hunter safety, then they should be able to hunt. Each kid is different and as such it seems lunatics to punish the ones that are able and can successfully hunt...
What leads you to believe good choices are made by parents with regard to kids in sports, hunting, school etc?

There needs to be side-boards and 12 is a good place for the majority...including your kids, they aren't special to anyone but you.

I think there is an argument to be made that is should be up to the parent. I think there is an argument to be made that is should just be some arbitrary age like it is now. Either way it is neither a punishment or a reward. It is simply a starting point. Like many things in life. I do find it odd that anyone would get too fired up about what age their kids are allowed to hunt. Do you get worked up over age to drive? Drink? Vote? Serve in the military? Run for public office?

The ability to pass the hunter ed test is a low bar for sure. Its a good starting point in the discussion of should they be allowed to hunt but should not be the end, IMO. Can anyone point to a first hand experience of someone not passing the Wyoming hunter ed test in the last 10 years?

Good deal. I’m glad it passed. I’m sure more non resident parents will apply and bring kids along for hunts now.

Never really understood the age restrictions in other states. My kids have all taken small game around age 6-7 and whitetail at age 8. I fully understand having the kids directly supervised by an adult and passing hunter safety though. My biggest concern here would be hunter recruitment. By age 12, kids are almost to high school and involved in other things like sports and other activities. It's hard to suddenly get a kid involved in something at that time. Though not everyone is like this, it sure does seem like some people are for the age restrictions because they don't want some kid shooting their deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back