Wyoming > Hicks at it again

I question the accuracy of this statement. Do you have proof? Adjusted for inflation and population size has spending increased?

If there there 10,000 hunters and 50 game wardens 40 years ago and 100,000 hunters and 500 game wardens now is that an increase in government spending in your book?
Want to think about your comment for a minute? Know any states that aren't running a deficit? Unless their charter says they cannot, and there are still ways around it (unfunded liabilities). Human nature is always to spend more when it isn't your money.

Want to think about your comment for a minute? Know any states that aren't running a deficit? Unless their charter says they cannot, and there are still ways around it (unfunded liabilities). Human nature is always to spend more when it isn't your money.

My point is where those states running a deficit before and is that deficit materially different? Not stating they aren't actually a question, you hear that sentiment a lot, but I've never seen it proven...

The license price need to go up because of government spending. The government never spends less always more. I know this is un popular on here because of all the guys that work for the government. I don't want to pay a penny more, but I really like what Wyoming G&F does as I know they are not perfect but they do a great job in my book.
Those greedy government employees wanting pay raises. The nerve! Don't get me started on all those greedy suppliers wanting more for the goods and services they provide to the government. Why can't the government work just like the private market where the price of everything stays the same year after year?

I question the accuracy of this statement. Do you have proof? Adjusted for inflation and population size has spending increased?

If there there 10,000 hunters and 50 game wardens 40 years ago and 100,000 hunters and 500 game wardens now is that an increase in government spending in your book?
No I didn't google or research. Its like the guys who work in the trade industry always make more dollars per hour when they are building a school or working on a government building> If you were building a 20,000 SQFT commercial office building I bet if your local government built it the cost would be greater per sqft or on average per sqft across the country.

Wildlife Total 2018, $29,910,409
Wildlife Total 2004, $14,890,882

Based on inflation alone, the budget for 2018 would be $19,794,625

Looks like there has been a huge uptick in dealing with poaching and landowner issues.

Special Investigations: 745,871 (nothing in 04)
Poaching Admin: 447,034 (nothing in 04)
Trophy Game and Conflict Resolution 2,247,202 versus (586,000 in 04)
Veterinary Services Program 1,575,522 (nothing in 04)
Regional Information & Education$ 704,731 (nothing in 04')

Worthy service or waste of money... eye of the beholder I suppose.

Last edited:
My dad submitted a bid to make a wooden flag pole for a navy ship. Figured he'd do it for the patriotic sum of $40 which maybe covered costs. He didn't get it. They re-posted the contract a few weeks later. My dad re-submitted his bid but charged $600 just for chuckles. He got the contract and donated the money to the Navy SEAL Foundation. No real point to that story beyond a (hopefully) amusing anecdote.

Wildlife Total 2018, $29,910,409
Wildlife Total 2004, $14,890,882

Based on inflation alone, the budget for 2018 would be $19,794,625

Looks like there has been a huge uptick in dealing with poaching and landowner issues.

Special Investigations: 745,871 (nothing in 04)
Poaching Admin: 447,034 (nothing in 04)
Trophy Game and Conflict Resolution 2,247,202 versus (586,000 in 04)
Veterinary Services Program 1,575,522 (nothing in 04)
Regional Information & Education$ 704,731 (nothing in 04')

Worthy service or waste of money... eye of the beholder I suppose.

Somewhat eye opening is the budget vs revenue brought in. I'll zone in on sportsmen fishing, specifically pg A-29:

License Revenue: $6,982,896
All other agency Revenue: $10,724,268
Total Program Revenue: $17,707,164
Program Costs: $29,217,042

If I can read this correctly, Seems like fish licenses need to double to triple, instead of being a sink hole of $

Somewhat eye opening is the budget vs revenue brought in. I'll zone in on sportsmen fishing, specifically pg A-29:

If I can read this correctly, Seems like fish licenses need to double to triple, instead of being a sink hole of $
Crazy the difference from Colorado to Wyoming in the dollar amounts.

1581525837161.png

In every state wildlife budget I've looked into fishing is a massive massive money pit.

Fishing is a numbers game. Way more anglers than hunters. Price them out with expensive licenses and you lose all their economic benefits in your state.

Fishing is a numbers game. Way more anglers than hunters. Price them out with expensive licenses and you lose all their economic benefits in your state.

I believe the point is that currently there is no benefit

Tell that to all the fly shop and tackle store owners, gas stations, guides, hotels, etc. and the governments who get to tax them.

Fair point.

"No benefit, to the state wildlife agency"

A day license is $6 an annual is $27 for residents... given that it's a 365 day season wouldn't it make sense to make an annual at least 20 days instead of 4.5?

Tell that to all the fly shop and tackle store owners, gas stations, guides, hotels, etc. and the governments who get to tax them.
Fishing licenses are not kept artificially low to support the fisherman that utilizes fly shops, hotels and guides. They are kept low to support the guy that goes once or twice a year with his kids to closest fishing pond he can find and the 60 yr old retiree that fishes 50 days a year and keeps a full limit each time. Both of these groups are covered by my in-laws.

I believe the point is that currently there is no benefit
I don't understand the alternative. Stop doing all fisheries management and native fish restoration because fishing licenses don't cover it themselves?

Back