Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Harvest Data collection

nontyp

Can someone remind me how Wyoming collects harvest data? I knew this at one time but can’t remember. Do they have mandatory harvest reporting? Specially, how is harvest data collected on general units?

Can someone remind me how Wyoming collects harvest data? I knew this at one time but can’t remember. Do they have mandatory harvest reporting? Specially, how is harvest data collected on general units?
Mandatory harvest reporting online or by snail mail. They usually send out both to anyone that purchased a tag.

Mybad. I always get bombarded every year and assumed that it was mandatory to respond. Thanks

I stopped at a check station in Rawlins this fall....how is the information collected by that fine gentleman used??

I haven't hunted Wyoming in several years, but they used to have landowner coupons attached to your tag. When you filled a tag, the coupon was given to the landowner to cash in or sent to WGFD if the animal was taken on public land. Then, this real harvest data was disregarded so they could do acrobatics with mathematics to estimate the harvest based on surveys.

I haven't hunted Wyoming in several years, but they used to have landowner coupons attached to your tag. When you filled a tag, the coupon was given to the landowner to cash in or sent to WGFD if the animal was taken on public land. Then, this real harvest data was disregarded so they could do acrobatics with mathematics to estimate the harvest based on surveys.

Ok, but the overwhelming majority of tags are filled on public land, where there is no one to give the landowner coupon to. So how would they estimate harvest then?

Landowner coupons have never been used to determine big game harvest in Wyoming. Landowners submit the coupons they collect from hunters to the local game warden, who in turn submits them to the Cheyenne office so a check can be cut to the landowner.

ClearCreek

Then, this real harvest data was disregarded so they could do acrobatics with mathematics to estimate the harvest based on surveys.

Acrobatics huh? A survey from a random sample of hunters is more reliable than a landowner coupon. That’s beginner level statistics. A hunter can give a landowner the coupon without ever having harvested an animal.

I've had 4 tags in WY, 3 elk, 1 pronghorn, this was the first year I was asked to compete the harvest survey, for the pronghorn. After completing online I was still mailed a paper copy later on. Mine had an associated ID code, so not sure you can just submit a report without being requested? They should just have a self addressed scan-able type perforated to the tag that you fill out and sign and drop in the mail after you get one or at end of season, with an online option as well. Washington has mandatory reporting, which probably gives the best info, but still has a margin of error for those who still don't report and pay the fine and those who are not honestly reporting.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back