Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming general vs limited entry

338 win mag

I know this topic has been discussed a ton on here but I guess I'm looking for an answer to my specific case. Ill have four points going into the 2021 elk draw. I can go one of a couple ways...
A) put in for a limited tag that i can draw with my 4 points
B) put in for a general tag and hunt a unit i already have 3-4 years experience in hunting mule deer and pronghorn.

Does having experience in a 'decent' unit have an advantage over a better unit that I've never stepped foot in? I've seen bulls every year I've hunted said unit.
If I ended up choosing a unit other than the one I've previously hunted, my parameters would be as follows
I can hunt either archery or rifle, would prefer to hunt out of a base camp (rather than a back country type hunt) and would prefer an area with no grizzlies (doesn't bother me but my hunting partners would say otherwise.)

My gut tells me the experience i have in the unit I've hunted a few years is worth more than rolling the dice somewhere I've never been. Hope this all makes sense and you guys can point me in the right direction

Last edited:
Go with what you know. Plus there is less pressure when tag numbers are limited verses a general.
Guess I should specify that the unit is limited for nonres but general for residents. I've heard rifle season sees some pressure but I'd probably lean towards hunting the archery season anyway

I too would go with the tag you know. Experience is extremely key! You’ll be starting over anywhere else. Finding elk is 90% of the battle!

As far a tag that’s general for residents and limited for non, I don’t think that’s a possibility in Wyoming. If residents are hunting with the general tag, then it would also fall under the nonresident’s general tag. It may take a Wyoming resident 0 points to draw it, but it’s not general.

Have you actually seen elk in your Mule Deer and Pronghorn hunting? Although I do think hunting other species is the way to get to know a unit for when you draw that harder LE tag species.

There is one unit I've hunted with a 5000 ft difference in elevation from one end to the other. If I had only hunted Deer and Pronghorn I never would have seen an elk in that particular unit.

One advantage of Hunting some LE tags in General units is the opportunity for an earlier or later season than the general. Those I find to be pretty nice hunts in my experience.

As others have said, if you know the area well and have been finding bulls in previous years, I don’t know why you would leave them to try to find some in a different area you don’t know (unless of course you just want a new adventure).

I'm confused as to how its general for residents but not for nonresidents? Also, do you have enough points to draw the area you have experience in? If so, I would put in for that area since you know it and have seen elk in it before.

Last edited:
My $0.02 is to always choose an area you've spent more time in. New areas can be fun, but there is something to be said about that comfort level that comes with somewhere your boots have been. Do you happen to know if the elk are still in the area of the unit you've spent time during the hunting season for that tag? Or do they move to another part that your not familiar with or private lands?

FYI: When I was in the Game & Fish office earlier this summer I believe they said it was 2.6 average pp for non-resident to draw a general for the 2020 drawing.

You are seeing bulls every time you go there already. Seems to me that actually hunting elk in that unit is a slam dunk no brainer.

Guess I should specify that the unit is limited for nonres but general for residents. I've heard rifle season sees some pressure but I'd probably lean towards hunting the archery season anyway
Interesting, I was under the impression units in WY were always general or limited for both residents and NR’s in regards to elk.
Also are you sure you can draw with your 4 points? Afaik that’s not a lot nowadays when it comes to most LE units in WY unless you’ve got access to private land.

Given your investment level of 4 years, I think you definitely go with a unit you know. Primarily because you've confirmed elk on every trip you've been on....that's a huge advantage. The other is knowing the lay of the land. If you could get a tag every year or two, I'd say check out some place new and increase your knowledge base. That's what I do in Colorado hunting OTC units in between drawing other states because I know some day CO is going to be draw only and I want to experience as much as I can now to help shape my decision making process in the future.

Good luck! I'm in the same position points wise but since I've not had experience in Wyoming I'm likely going to go with a general tag.

Have you actually seen elk in your Mule Deer and Pronghorn hunting? Although I do think hunting other species is the way to get to know a unit for when you draw that harder LE tag species.

There is one unit I've hunted with a 5000 ft difference in elevation from one end to the other. If I had only hunted Deer and Pronghorn I never would have seen an elk in that particular unit.

One advantage of Hunting some LE tags in General units is the opportunity for an earlier or later season than the general. Those I find to be pretty nice hunts in my experience.
Yes I have actually seen elk in the areas I hunt which is a plus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back